Search
Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flightworks Afghanistan?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 06:53 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Just as it was in Iraq, it's not a place you'll want to be as troops withdraw and dwindle in numbers.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Just as it was in Iraq, it's not a place you'll want to be.
Fixed it for ya.

Amanda the whole operation is paid for by US borrowed money. That gravy train dried up a long time ago and the remaining cash is being turned off day by day. Drones have nothing to do with it... It's all money. There is no more.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2012
Position: CRJ FO

I have an MEI student who is currently over in Afghanistan as a contractor. His company does something to the effect of a revolving schedule depending on their needs and the pilot's needs. 30on/30off, 60/60, 90/90, and so on... He is currently flying a BE200. I can ask him for some info on his company and see if I can post it. They are not currently hiring according to him and they pretty much exclusively hire ex-military because of the security clearance. I'd love to go work for one of these companies though... Then my gf would surely break up with me.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
Fixed it for ya.

Amanda the whole operation is paid for by US borrowed money. That gravy train dried up a long time ago and the remaining cash is being turned off day by day. Drones have nothing to do with it... It's all money. There is no more.
Money.. Of course!

I recently heard the government is planning on using contracts in Africa, though, so that's good news.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Originally Posted by Grumble View Post
I'd take regional 121 flying over going back to Afghanistan every day of the week.

Because of the money you stockpiled while you were in Afghanistan?
Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Fixed it for ya.
No, you didn't, and I can speak just fine for myself, thanks.

Perhaps it's a place you don't want to be. Say that for yourself. I didn't mind it there at all.

Not true at all.

ISR is one of the least effective and most used and valuable assets on the battlefield; it's a very effective source of numerous types of real-time intelligence, and compared to many other means, far safer, with far more capability and at a lower cost. Manned ISR in particular is quite a bargain, especially from a contractor, compared to the military's own use of UAV's. On a dollar for dollar basis, the contractor has a smaller footprint, costs far less, and typically offers a lot more value for the dollar.

Moreover, ISR platforms will be in place and more needed as troops withdraw. As troops pull back, the threat increases, the ability to defend decreases, and more airborne eyes are increasingly valuable. ISR assets stayed behind in Iraq, and they will remain behind in Afghanistan, too. Of all the programs that get defunded, they'll be some of the last.

There is a great deal of money still backing up these programs. Make no mistake about that.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Line Holder

- Sequestration and budget cuts are effecting programs, some have been cut recently because of it, some are still going, some will be there even when the last of the troops leave... it's ISR, someone has to watch someone's back...
- QOL will deter as the pull-out continues. For example, the plan is by October to have every base on the two meal per day plan. Breakfast and dinner will be hot meals, lunch and mid-rats will be MREs.
- As the pull out continues, base security is a big variable and risk. Unlike Irag, ANA green on blue attacks are happening fairly often, and I know a few guys that have been lost from them. For me, this is my biggest concern.
- Living situation will more then likely be a RLB (relocatable building) with 2 or 3 per room. If it's 2 per room, it's about 7x10 living space. If it's 3, then it's 7x7ish... if you don't know what an RLB is, just google it, there's open source info.
- The Afghan Tax stuff was with the old blackwater guys who were getting paid differently. I can't remember all the specifics, but the company basically was paying them straight and not withholding US taxes because they stayed out of country for so long, therefore all of them filed differently and had to pay Afghan taxes to get out of paying US taxes. However from my understanding, NO company pays this way anymore. So in summary, if you want a Foreign Income tax credit, you must remain outside the US and territories for at least 330 days, and then you can file for the credit which will deduct 90,000 ish dollars to be tax free. Yes, there are a lot of arguments on tax filing... but this is the golden rule. Those who try to cheat it have gotten a lot back... but that can and has come back to bite people in the ass 4 years down the road. Just google Contractors and IRS cases.
- The gravy train did not dry up, the money is definitely still there... however yes, the better amenities of Iraq are over and gone.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Line Holder

BTW, All the above info is based on Afghanistan. I've got no info for AFRICOM or PACOM. Cheers
Old 08-08-2013, 05:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

What Dirtrider101 said. I am typing this from behind the relatively safe walls of a guarded compound in Afg. Rocket attacks have increased and there is a increased concern over attacks in general.

I have been doing this coming up on 3 years and am done. The pay is good, the mission is great, but being over here away from family sucks. And this sequester will reduce our QOL and pay...its gonna happen.

Find something else to do...seriously. The money is becoming not worth the ass pain of being here and dealing with these dirt farmers.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by Junglejett View Post
What Dirtrider101 said. I am typing this from behind the relatively safe walls of a guarded compound in Afg. Rocket attacks have increased and there is a increased concern over attacks in general.

I have been doing this coming up on 3 years and am done. The pay is good, the mission is great, but being over here away from family sucks. And this sequester will reduce our QOL and pay...its gonna happen.

Find something else to do...seriously. The money is becoming not worth the ass pain of being here and dealing with these dirt farmers.
This is all still interesting to me. Just curious, who are you working for and what are you making in terms of salary? Any details on your daily/weekly/monthly life? What are your qualifications? Were they pretty stiff on medicals, clearances, etc..?

The way it's typed sounds like I'm harassing you, but I promise, the questions are genuine questions I'm curious about. While some will say don't go, it's still something I'd like to experience if possible.

Thanks for any input.