Flightworks Afghanistan? >

Flightworks Afghanistan?

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Flightworks Afghanistan?

Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

It really does not matter who I work for since this information is pretty much universal.

I make good money...about $700.00 a day. Life here is that you fly, eat chow, go to the gym, hang out. Not much else to do.

Most operators prefer former military..but that is not a show stopper.

I came here with over 4000 hour total time/3000 multi/2500+ in jets, and about 350 turbo prop. Jet times seems to matter little. Low time guys without a mil background will have a tough go at it..and many places are no longer hiring.

If you cannot pass a clearance, your chances are slim..and they go balls deep into your life. Medical is not too bad...but most contracts require a military review of your fitness to fly.

Originally Posted by mspano85 View Post
This is all still interesting to me. Just curious, who are you working for and what are you making in terms of salary? Any details on your daily/weekly/monthly life? What are your qualifications? Were they pretty stiff on medicals, clearances, etc..?

The way it's typed sounds like I'm harassing you, but I promise, the questions are genuine questions I'm curious about. While some will say don't go, it's still something I'd like to experience if possible.

Thanks for any input.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2013

Originally Posted by Junglejett View Post
It really does not matter who I work for since this information is pretty much universal.

I make good money...about $700.00 a day. Life here is that you fly, eat chow, go to the gym, hang out. Not much else to do.

Most operators prefer former military..but that is not a show stopper.

I came here with over 4000 hour total time/3000 multi/2500+ in jets, and about 350 turbo prop. Jet times seems to matter little. Low time guys without a mil background will have a tough go at it..and many places are no longer hiring.

If you cannot pass a clearance, your chances are slim..and they go balls deep into your life. Medical is not too bad...but most contracts require a military review of your fitness to fly.
Thanks for the response. Clearance wouldn't be an issue. My main problems would be childhood asthma, and low time. I'm still working on my PPL. I couldn't get into a flight program for the military because of the asthma history, but I'm sure I could have got in had I accepted something other than flying.

$700 a day is very nice. $255k a year... I'd do it in a heartbeat. I understand you are getting paid that for a reason, but for someone who has always wanted to be a Military Pilot, flying in a war zone may be the closest chance I'll get to it.

Thanks for all the input.

-Martin
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Originally Posted by mspano85 View Post
Thanks for the response. Clearance wouldn't be an issue. My main problems would be childhood asthma, and low time. I'm still working on my PPL. I couldn't get into a flight program for the military because of the asthma history, but I'm sure I could have got in had I accepted something other than flying.

$700 a day is very nice. $255k a year... I'd do it in a heartbeat. I understand you are getting paid that for a reason, but for someone who has always wanted to be a Military Pilot, flying in a war zone may be the closest chance I'll get to it.

Thanks for all the input.

-Martin
If you can pass a Second Class FAA physical, you are good to go. This NOT the military. We are not here 365 a year..so you are not making that much money. Most do 180 days.

While this is the EASIEST flying I have ever done, it is probably the most rewarding. War zone...sure it is, but you are out of danger a few hundred feet above the ground.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by Junglejett View Post
If you can pass a Second Class FAA physical, you are good to go. This NOT the military. We are not here 365 a year..so you are not making that much money. Most do 180 days.

While this is the EASIEST flying I have ever done, it is probably the most rewarding. War zone...sure it is, but you are out of danger a few hundred feet above the ground.
Some contracts require first class. First hand knowledge of the fact, as I'm also in the industry.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:22 AM
ULTP-Ultra Low Tier Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Dirtrider101 View Post
Some contracts require first class. First hand knowledge of the fact, as I'm also in the industry.
My company requires a first class medical. Also, if you suffer from asthma, this place would not be good for it. Pollution is amazingly horrible and as for the dust, well, its bad beyond bad as Dirtrider and others can attest.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:47 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
My company requires a first class medical. Also, if you suffer from asthma, this place would not be good for it. Pollution is amazingly horrible and as for the dust, well, its bad beyond bad as Dirtrider and others can attest.
Oh yeah, I can attest.

I'll never forget the day the burn pit smoke litterally made my lungs burn inside like never before. Great stuff...
Old 08-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

War zone...sure it is, but you are out of danger a few hundred feet above the ground.
It's not a war zone, and the hazards don't end a few hundred feet above the ground. In fact, they're just beginning.

I'm asthmatic. I've never had a problem with smoke or dust in Afghanistan.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:09 AM
ULTP-Ultra Low Tier Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
It's not a war zone, and the hazards don't end a few hundred feet above the ground. In fact, they're just beginning.

I'm asthmatic. I've never had a problem with smoke or dust in Afghanistan.
I think it depends on where you are in Afghanistan and the amount of smoke and dust that is present. Some areas it isnt bad, but hit up some of the smaller FOBs in the morning when their burn pit is burning, just horrible. Causes a nasty inversion layer on top of the field that will make your chest burn.

Fact is Afghanistan IS one of the most polluted and dust ridden countries in the world

Poo pond in OAKN is another story
Old 08-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Some of the worst pollution in the country is around Kabul, especially with winter inversions, around the airport.

Kandahar and Bastion have some significant dust issues, but no more than Phoenix in the summer, in the US.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2011

I flew in Afghanistan for 2 years the only thing good about the whole experience is the pay... You can have it.