Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SurfAir

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 06:00 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Mar 2016

Originally Posted by Panzon View Post
What did you find when you did Google searches on Surf Air? You did try to validate the rumor, right? Right?
Yeah, but I couldn't find anything. Hence my question here. I heard the rumor from my brother who's old flight instructor works for SA now. So he says...
Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2016

I was called by Surf Air Thursday and had a phone interview. Sounds like they may be scheduling an in person interview. Can any current SurfAir pilots provide Any pointers or gouge as to what to expect?
Old 05-01-2016, 12:29 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2016
Position: PC12

Interview is pretty relaxed. Know about the company and have a solid explanation regarding your interest in working there. They do put emphasis on how you would interact with members (i.e. represent the company). Standard basic IFR questions, but please be sharp on IFR when you come to training. Good luck! It has been a fun place to work.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:39 PM
Line Holder

Thank You! Im very excited about the potential opportunities!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by P1lotseanjr View Post
I was called by Surf Air Thursday and had a phone interview. Sounds like they may be scheduling an in person interview. Can any current SurfAir pilots provide Any pointers or gouge as to what to expect?
https://www.aviationinterviews.com/p...f-Air-149.html
(requires log-in to view. requires $$ to view some questions)

Surf Air Pilot Interview Profiles
Old 05-03-2016, 11:07 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by TimetoClimb View Post
3000+ members at $1850/mo so you guys do the math. The model works or others wouldn't be following suit .
Time, check out Beacon Air and their latest news release...
Old 05-04-2016, 08:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by bmurphy130 View Post
Time, check out Beacon Air and their latest news release...
Doesn't prove the model is unworkable. They subcontracted flying to dynamic and therefore could exercise little control over the product (and it's unlikely that dynamic will accept and offer to operate at a loss, even for a period of time) The planes were refurbished but old, not a premium product. King Air's burn 40% more fuel for 10 kts TAS extra and the same payload as the PC-12's. Twice as much engine maintenance.
Also only one route was available in the system and it was already served by multiple modes of high speed transit. Wade and the others are startup entrepreneurs, not savvy in the airline business which is why they were ultimately booted from Surf. Try to see the forest and not just the trees.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
https://www.aviationinterviews.com/p...f-Air-149.html
(requires log-in to view. requires $$ to view some questions)

Surf Air Pilot Interview Profiles

Thanks! I have seen those. Just curious if there was any other info floating around.
Old 05-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by P1lotseanjr View Post
Thanks! I have seen those. Just curious if there was any other info floating around.

They are looking mostly to see that you are nice and personable because there is a lot of interaction with the members so they want the company represented well. The interviewers are good judges of character so don't BS your way through that side of the interview.

As far as the technical side of things, know IFR stuff like the back of your hand.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2013

As an aside, I'd disagree with your King Air 350 stats. You net more than 10 KTAS over a PC-12.

Who in your mind is pulling off this model successfully? Although these are all businesses with slightly different stripes, they're still zebras. Jury is still out on Surf. Blackjet gone. Beacon Air gone. Wheels Up...