Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

SurfAir

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 05:20 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Judging by your posting history here at APC, you are on the outside looking in (Trans States pilot) and have a friend or friends at Surf Air and/or simply heard through word of mouth... which then was translated in an exaggerated manner.

Anywho...
Surf air is cutting major routes, ....frequency is being refocused. 1 major/popular route is getting the axe.
halving bases. 1 base will see displacements to another base. Not to be confused with furloughs/layoffs.
Pilots are very disgruntled. That's subjective and depends on who you ask.
You've been warned. We're still interviewing and hiring. Our SoCal base has seen an unusual amount of attrition in the last 5 to 6 weeks. And the majority of that attrition occurred BEFORE the recent events.

I can think of MANY sh!ttier places to work. My worst day here is still 100x better than most. The initial shock of recent announcements is over and life goes on. Our pilots are doing what they need to do to keep this a safe and fun place to work. Some have chosen to move on. Cruising up and down the coast of Cali still beats many gigs. Surf is a great place to come with 600-1000 hours and gain crew, turbine and glass time before moving onto the traditional airlines if that is your end goal.
Which base is being displaced?
Old 08-20-2016, 08:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Half of KCRQ is being displaced to the SoCal base which is a shared base of KHHR & KBUR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-27-2016, 05:16 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Judging by your posting history here at APC, you are on the outside looking in (Trans States pilot) and have a friend or friends at Surf Air and/or simply heard through word of mouth... which then was translated in an exaggerated manner.

Anywho...
Surf air is cutting major routes, ....frequency is being refocused. 1 major/popular route is getting the axe.
halving bases. 1 base will see displacements to another base. Not to be confused with furloughs/layoffs.
Pilots are very disgruntled. That's subjective and depends on who you ask.
You've been warned. We're still interviewing and hiring. Our SoCal base has seen an unusual amount of attrition in the last 5 to 6 weeks. And the majority of that attrition occurred BEFORE the recent events.

I can think of MANY sh!ttier places to work. My worst day here is still 100x better than most. The initial shock of recent announcements is over and life goes on. Our pilots are doing what they need to do to keep this a safe and fun place to work. Some have chosen to move on. Cruising up and down the coast of Cali still beats many gigs. Surf is a great place to come with 600-1000 hours and gain crew, turbine and glass time before moving onto the traditional airlines if that is your end goal.
Can't argue with any of this. Great people run the show/fly the line there. Beats any time building job out there. Hope some of the displacement is just a minor hiccup. Suh dude.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Looking for a little guidance. I've already had the initial phone screen and have been waiting three weeks for a call from HR to set up an in-person interview (PIC position). I'm actively interviewing at Pt 121 and other 135 operators and offers are starting to come in (it's a fantastic time to be a pilot!). I'd really like to interview at Surf Air, because it sounds like a great QOL fit for me. Anybody know if the hiring is still ongoing? Thanks.
Old 09-19-2016, 08:51 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: BE76 Right Seat

Originally Posted by Btoflyer View Post
Looking for a little guidance. I've already had the initial phone screen and have been waiting three weeks for a call from HR to set up an in-person interview (PIC position). I'm actively interviewing at Pt 121 and other 135 operators and offers are starting to come in (it's a fantastic time to be a pilot!). I'd really like to interview at Surf Air, because it sounds like a great QOL fit for me. Anybody know if the hiring is still ongoing? Thanks.
Word on the street a.k.a rumor central, is that they are still hiring. Sounds like they have a lot of movement in their LA and Bay area bases coming up this fall. From what I've heard, they just wrapped up a round of hiring in late July/early August. Another round is scheduled soon with training happening in October.
Old 09-20-2016, 06:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by Btoflyer View Post
Accepting resumes (keep them updated, often, as in every 2 to 3 weeks) but no classes in the pipeline as of now. Company is focused on building a pool of street captains and that class may happen at the end of October/early November.

Attrition has slowed a little, but SoCal is still seeing the most movement. SBA as well. NorCal, stagnant for now (lifers! ), but it goes in waves.
Old 09-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Line Holder

Yeah NorCal is very stagnant on the Captain side, while SoCal seems to be in constant flux. Although that will probably change in the next few months.

It's a great place to work for some much needed QOL. I'm sticking around for awhile. There's been some drama in the last 6 months with base realignments, but that happens everywhere it seems. For instance, LAX used to be a huge base for American Eagle. Dulles, Kansas City, & Denver were failed experiments at XJT. The list goes on.

The job is fun, the people are awesome. The QOL is great. Even if you only stay for a year, you will have a lot more fun than you will at any regional.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:30 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2016

FYI, SurfAir is a cool place to work. heres whats happened recently to help you decide if you want to work here

1) they have cut alot of the flying out of the system. they told 300 members to kick rocks because they could not afford to operate it.

2) moral is the worst I have seen it since I started. Our attrition rate is to the tune of " id rather work at a regional" and weve lost "if i had to guess" 30 people in the last 6 months....of 90

3) this isnt the come and get 22 days off a month anymore. most routes are only out and backs. its so bad they issued a 4 hour pay credit just to keep people from not going loco. I came here and had 20-22 days off a month, I now have 5.

4) we are losing money like kylie jenner at a Louis Vuitton store.

5) the main reason we have captains here is becasuse we wanted QOL, and to be honest we lost alot of people because aside from being home everynight, its the same route everyday and now the routes are terrible.

6) as you have noticed the Europe marketing has taken over the company. I have not seen an add for California in months.

to break it down this place was a fantastic place to work if you wanted a good QOL. I would not advise anyone trying to build time, move on, or come in as a street captain. The great pilot group is starting to become know by management as "just a number" like any other 135 or 121 place.

in conclusion I just want you young guys to know what to expect. Ive seen pilots hired at 288 hours and others at 1000 for FO. apply to build crew experience and build turbine time. From what I have seen you are better off getting twin time at ameriflight, or going to skywest. this was not meant to draw negativity, just a look from the inside. they are going from the "flying club" to the oh **** were broke phase. IMHO they really blew it but what can you do its a flying job if we wanted to make money we would have picked another career!!!
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Line Holder

I've never had more than 15 days off a month since I started here, & most of NorCal & SoCal are in the same boat. CRQ & SBA were definitely spoiled until very recently when CRQ got the shaft.

As for moral, you are spot on, it sucks.

I can't say that I'm treated as just a number.

As for Ameriflight, that's a grow some extra chest hair kinda job. Also, it's a gonna make you good or it'll kill you type of a job. There's a reason so many people wash out of training at AMF.

As for the regionals, or any job, it's all what you make it. If you want to be miserable you will be, & vice versa. But either way your bank account will be miserable. It's better now than it was a few years ago but it's still not as good as it should be, anywhere.

The QOL stems from being home every night. Unless you have a string of reserve days.... The pay was good a year ago before the industry as a whole started upping pay & QOL. Now the pay here is below average simply because it didn't change.

Otherwise I pretty much think you are spot on.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Chief A'Hole

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: Barely Flying!

Originally Posted by skipilot84 View Post
I've never had more than 15 days off a month since I started here, & most of NorCal & SoCal are in the same boat. CRQ & SBA were definitely spoiled until very recently when CRQ got the shaft.

As for moral, you are spot on, it sucks.

I can't say that I'm treated as just a number.

As for Ameriflight, that's a grow some extra chest hair kinda job. Also, it's a gonna make you good or it'll kill you type of a job. There's a reason so many people wash out of training at AMF.

As for the regionals, or any job, it's all what you make it. If you want to be miserable you will be, & vice versa. But either way your bank account will be miserable. It's better now than it was a few years ago but it's still not as good as it should be, anywhere.

The QOL stems from being home every night. Unless you have a string of reserve days.... The pay was good a year ago before the industry as a whole started upping pay & QOL. Now the pay here is below average simply because it didn't change.

Otherwise I pretty much think you are spot on.

I have a question for you CRQ guys.....we just announced scheduled service from CRQ-SJC. It seems like there is still a lot of demand on this route, why the pullout?

DH