You might be a freight dog if...

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

You might be a freight dog if...

Old 04-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by N9373M View Post
A Grumman AA5A Cheetah? Cargo? Really? That was a fun plane to fly - loved the "fighter jet" style sliding canopy.
I use to slide the canopy back to keep cool during the summer and use a can oil oil to keep it open. That worked until the company started asking about excessive oil use when I flew. LOL I can not tell you how many cans of oil I lost over NC and VA LOL.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by Manny View Post
Maybe it is because this was my first turbo prop that I still smile every time I see a BE-99. At the time, I was just looking for the 1000 hrs turbine PIC. Little did I know, I would learn skills that would safe my life latter on. "Freightdog" should be a title that those of us who did it should wear as a badge of honor.
Some of the best experience I had was flying freight. Had a GV pilot in RIC who thought I was a ramper, gave me 20 bucks then asked me to load the bags and pull the chocks. I pocketed the 20 bucks then took off lol.
There is nothing like hand flying a ILS down to mins during the night and some how "seeing" the lights so you can land then listen to the USAir behind your go around. It is to bad the Reserve no longer requires paper checks, its a great way for the younger pilots to learn great stick and rudder controls.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Airbus 319/320 Captain

Any former Air Pac drivers out there? I flew the Chieftain, Navajo and Seneca out of Oakland back in the early 90s.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009
Position: 127.0.0.1

Originally Posted by WarrenWallace View Post
I use to slide the canopy back to keep cool during the summer and use a can oil oil to keep it open. That worked until the company started asking about excessive oil use when I flew. LOL I can not tell you how many cans of oil I lost over NC and VA LOL.
I think you could open the canopy to the mark upto 113 kts (mph?). I always did the Blue Angle sit when boarding - grab the top canopy rail looking straight ahead and sit militarily. Ok - that puts me in the TOOL club, but it was worth it.

I was also taught to jam a book of some sort on the canopy rail to keep it open in case of an off site landing. Someone flipped a Cheetah, survived the crash but perished upside down because the canopy was jammed.
Old 05-01-2012, 06:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: left seat regional

You get clearance, taxi, and takeoff clearances all at once on the same frequency at large airports.

You can't remember reporting moderate anything, but you head still hurts from hitting the ceiling crossing the rocks lastnight.

You've unloaded / loaded in the taxiway hammerhead at the end of the runway at large aiports because the snow isn't plowed and is too deep for drivers and airplanes to make it to the ramps.

You cancel IFR almost everytime you enter bravo airspace.

If you get an acceptable RVR "report" from approach, you wait until crossing the marker to call tower.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Seat 0B

Your altitude preselect/reminder is the ADF frequency.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Chair Flying

Pulling fuses are part of normal ops procedure
Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Seat 0B

If pulling circut breakers is a normal procedure.

Might be hard to pull a fuse....
Old 05-07-2012, 06:27 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: G-III PIC/Hawker 750 PIC

Ahhh the memories......402B loaded so full I had to get in and out of the escape hatch over the pilots seat.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: C47 PIC/747-400 SIC

Did the same in a DC3 loaded with mail rapelled down the escape ropes through the meat chopper door !