Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FedEx Feeder ATR's

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Piper877 View Post
Yeah that'd work out great for you and the company. I'm pretty sure I saw a listing for crew there at some point, but I think it was filled, or they decided to use floaters to fill it. Wouldn't hurt to apply through our website and see if you get a call. We're also maintaining a database of qualified candidates for future expansion or new runs. We do have the issue of people getting their time in and moving on...mostly to the majors. We lost 3 Caravan guy to JetBlue as an example. They were all previous jet crew, so it didn't come as a huge surprise, but on the ATR side, you can get your multi turbine PIC in a couple years. I'm just too happy with the schedule and company and QOL to go to the ATR or jump ship. You can choose your own adventure.

@SatPak: I wish I could help you more with Empire bases, but I just really don't know about their operations. They do start at higher pay, but typically our ATR locations are much less expensive to live than, say Seattle, which they have a domicile. Down in North Carolina, or out in Iowa or Minnesota, or even the Memphis area I think would be much less costly than a lot of those West Coast places. Wish I could be more helpful, but you should come work for us anyway.
Piper, I certainly am keeping it in mind. I'm at least a few months from reaching 135 PIC mins, and I see on the website that your minimums for 208 captains are higher.

Does Mountain take a look at guys with 135 mins but less than 2000 TT? Also, do folks transition from the Caravan to the ATR quite a bit, or once you're hired into an aircraft do they keep you on that aircraft? EDIT: I see that the website does mention an upgrade path.

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:37 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
Piper, I certainly am keeping it in mind. I'm at least a few months from reaching 135 PIC mins, and I see on the website that your minimums for 208 captains are higher.

Does Mountain take a look at guys with 135 mins but less than 2000 TT? Also, do folks transition from the Caravan to the ATR quite a bit, or once you're hired into an aircraft do they keep you on that aircraft? EDIT: I see that the website does mention an upgrade path.

Thanks.

Yeah, there's absolutely a path to ATR Captain. I believe they count FO time as 2 hours for every 1 flown in meeting the minimums for ATR Captain. The typical minimums for the Caravan are 2000 total and 1500 PIC, but right now it's 1500 total and 1200 PIC. So, it sounds like you're pretty close to meeting those mins depending on how much you're flying now. I should mention that I'm not sure at all how the new law regarding ATP writtens and whatnot figures into a plan to get to the ATR. I'm thinking it makes it harder to get even to the right seat. I'm enjoying myself a lot on the Caravan, so I haven't kept up with that new regulation.

Edit: If you're anywhere close to 1500 and have strong instrument skills, it won't hurt to apply. Obviously they've already lowered the mins, but if you're flying now and are around that TT, well, let's just say we're looking for good, strong people. Unfortunately, I'm not involved in the hiring process, so I can't say for sure if someone with 1499 hours would get tossed out. I seriously doubt it, though.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Piper877 View Post
Yeah, there's absolutely a path to ATR Captain. I believe they count FO time as 2 hours for every 1 flown in meeting the minimums for ATR Captain. The typical minimums for the Caravan are 2000 total and 1500 PIC, but right now it's 1500 total and 1200 PIC. So, it sounds like you're pretty close to meeting those mins depending on how much you're flying now. I should mention that I'm not sure at all how the new law regarding ATP writtens and whatnot figures into a plan to get to the ATR. I'm thinking it makes it harder to get even to the right seat. I'm enjoying myself a lot on the Caravan, so I haven't kept up with that new regulation.

Edit: If you're anywhere close to 1500 and have strong instrument skills, it won't hurt to apply. Obviously they've already lowered the mins, but if you're flying now and are around that TT, well, let's just say we're looking for good, strong people. Unfortunately, I'm not involved in the hiring process, so I can't say for sure if someone with 1499 hours would get tossed out. I seriously doubt it, though.
Piper, one more question - do you know of any pilots being based at KLCK, or is it simply an outstation?
Old 08-25-2014, 08:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

I'm a former Mountaineer. You'll never find a better Chief Pilot for the overall operation or Asst. Chief Pilot on the 135 side of the house. Great guys and extremely pro pilot. They've hired an Asst. Chief Pilot for the 121 side of the house. Don't know him, but I've heard he's very pro pilot too.

You'll never hear or experience any of these gents "throwing anyone under the bus." They are truly stand up guys.

MAC is not a company to build time in a short period of time, but the work is fairly easy. Could be adventurous during the winter months.

The company is looking for pilots... not aces of the base who are legends in their own minds.

The training from ground to flight is, in my opinion second to none. A true training department that wants to impart knowledge rather than fear or I intimidation. You have any questions? They are available for questions anytime. They are dedicated to their craft... training.

Scheduling? When was the last time anyone has worked for a scheduled carrier where scheduling worked with their crews? Try MAC. Great team in scheduling! They are two of the nicest, professional individuals, I've had the pleasure and privilege of work with!

HR? Probably the only company in the industry with a legitimate HR department with no agendas.

In summary... not looking to build a lot of time? Want to do some real aviating be it in an ATR or C-208? Want to work with a sincere team? Then MAC is your place. Give it shot.

By the way folks... never furloughed anyone in their history.
Old 08-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Position: 747, RightSeat

These are great places to work. I met some of the guys at Empire at ONT.
Heres what you need to know.. Be prepared to work. They are short staffed on this side of the operation (Feeder side). So if you want some time off, good luck. When times were slow you got a week off a month with pay, nowadays thats an old memory.
I know they're doing a lot of Capt on Capt flying due to the low # of FOs, so again be prepared to go where they need you.
If time is on your side, then try it for 2 years and see what you think, by that time you may just be breaking the 700 to 1000 PIC mark. Other bases have runs longer than others so if flight time is what you're after I would reconsider.
And last I heard, dont expect BigDaddy (Fedex) to call you just because you work at a their Feeder.
Oh yeah... I believe you can transfer companies and stay at the same pay. For example lets say you work at a Feeder operation on the east coast and you are moving to the west coast and apply to this west coast FDX Feeder operator you can now work at this new operator for the same pay you were at your last Feeder company.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the insights. Tough calls right now as I'm unable to relocate for a few years, but the plus side is that by the time I can relocate I should have plenty more than 1000 PIC. We'll see what a couple years bring.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Bluesville View Post
These are great places to work. I met some of the guys at Empire at ONT.

Heres what you need to know.. Be prepared to work. They are short staffed on this side of the operation (Feeder side). So if you want some time off, good luck.
I can comment only on Mountain Air Cargo's policies. Normal scheduling is 3 or 4 weeks on and one week off, with normal pay. Pilots routinely call in to fly on their days off. Crews receive extra pay for working their days off. The schedulers work with the pilots to grant their requests for days off, if other crewmembers are available to cover the trips. During peak periods, (ie.: Thanksgiving through Christmas Eve, the week of Valentines Day), no vacations are allowed as these are typical maximum effort periods for every cargo operator out their, and not limited to the feeders.

When times were slow you got a week off a month with pay, nowadays thats an old memory.
Still current pay policy with Mountain Air Cargo. Prospective employees need to check with Empire as to their pay policies.

I know they're doing a lot of Capt on Capt flying due to the low # of FOs, so again be prepared to go where they need you.
Not uncommon with any carrier round the world to pair up two captains together. Hidden surprises at are few and far between. Crewmembers check Thursday or Friday to see which base they may be assigned to for the following week so they can pack appropriately for the weather conditions to be expected. Yeah... like with any airline there may be base assignment changes made, but sufficient time is afforded accordingly. Unlike other carriers, the Mountain provides air travel from one's base airport or from your one's home airport if they are floating pilots without a base. The good news is that one gets to keep their frequent flyer miles and hotel award points too.

If time is on your side, then try it for 2 years and see what you think, by that time you may just be breaking the 700 to 1000 PIC mark. Other bases have runs longer than others so if flight time is what you're after I would reconsider.
True statement. Feeder flying is not for the low time time builder.

And last I heard, dont expect BigDaddy (Fedex) to call you just because you work at a their Feeder.
Again very important true statement. Feeder operations are not the airlines to join if you are looking to a long future with Fed Ex Mainline. Currently, there are no flow up policies or incentives offered by Fed Ex Mainline at this time, and probably won't happen either.

Oh yeah... I believe you can transfer companies and stay at the same pay. For example lets say you work at a Feeder operation on the east coast and you are moving to the west coast and apply to this west coast FDX Feeder operator you can now work at this new operator for the same pay you were at your last Feeder company.
Negative on inter company transfers any common pay between feeders. Mountain Air Cargo and Empire Airlines are two separate and distinct entities with different terms and conditions offering different QOL.

One will have to interview, as a new prospective employee, with MAC should they desire to leave Empire. There is no seniority carrier over from Empire to MAC.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: PA-31 LEFT SEAT

Is it possible to be home based and work at MAC as a floater? Thanks.
Old 08-30-2014, 04:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by AVIATORCFI View Post
Is it possible to be home based and work at MAC as a floater? Thanks.
Not unless specifically advertised on the company web site.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: Line up

Anyone know who runs the feeder operation to Mexico? Mountain or empire?