Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

FedEx Feeder ATR's

Old 08-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2012
Default FedEx Feeder ATR's

I was wondering if anyone can give me any insight as to the ATR fedex feeder jobs, QOL, schedule, I notice both MAC and Empire are hiring captains and I was just thinking how nice it would be to be home every day...
Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2013
Position: die Pilotin

Mountain Air out of BQN was out and back with about a 3-4 hours layover at the destination. Talking to the pilots it was 3 weeks on with 1 of those week being at home reserve, and 1 week off. Not too sure how the rest of the world does it.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:05 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I work on the 135 side at the Mountain, but I know a little about the 121 side. It is 3 on 1 off, and depending on how you work it, you can float and maybe get mileage and per diem, or be scheduled in your base to do your run, or Reserve, or Standby. Depends on scheduling I think. She always does her best to keep people happy, while making sure all the runs get covered. ATR Captain is probably the best schedule, and it's easily the highest paid in the pilot group. Our pay scale is on here, just ignore the F27 stuff, they've been gone for a long time.

I believe everyone on the 121 side are floaters. That is, they'll hire you to be GSO based, but you may float to CID, or BUF depending on where they need you. But then, you may get a GSO-ILM or something out of your home base. Schedules are posted a month in advance, so it's not on call or anything.

Our Chief Pilot is very pro-pilot. He flew the ATR and Caravan, so I've always thought he's been on our side to the max, unless it's some blatant negligence. Scheduling, travel, and HR departments are pretty top notch. Benefits are probably less generous than at a larger airline, but only slightly. 401k match, health, life, educational assistance etc.

Overall, ATR captain at the Mountain is a pretty good place to be if you want to fly boxes and work for a stable, publicly traded company that works for a stable company like FedEx. The Mountain has put up with me for more than 5 years now, so they've got to be a pretty forgiving place and easy to get along.

Edit: I'm not sure how the Puerto Rico operation works, but I think there are some differences in how the runs work due to customs, language barrier, etc. but we pretty much need people on both sides of the certificate.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Piper, you mentioned CID. Is that KCID? Cedar Rapids, Iowa?

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2014, 05:57 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
Piper, you mentioned CID. Is that KCID? Cedar Rapids, Iowa?

Thanks!

Yeah, that's a new run we've been doing in the ATR. I believe it is technically "temporary", but our two Caravans in EWR that go to BWI and IAD have been "temporary" since I've been with the company and maybe longer. We're getting more work as FedEx changes their operations around to become more efficient. I wish I could be more concrete, but what FedEx giveth, FedEx can taketh away. It really depends on their needs. But right now it's operating.

As an aside, if they hire you into CID, and the run goes away, I believe you would have the option of relocating, or floating out of CID, which means you'd probably be on the road a lot. Hope that helps!

Edit: It looks like we're hiring an A&P at CID, but I don't see any listings for crew. It's usually a good sign if they are looking for an A&P, could mean that run is going to be there long term.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:19 PM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

Piper877:

Any info on AFW crew base, how easy it is to get this, Day-1 ? How is their schedule ?

Thank You !

EDIT/UPDATE: I see you work at Mountain, not Empire. But maybe you have some info anyway. Thanks
Old 08-19-2014, 08:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Piper877 View Post
Yeah, that's a new run we've been doing in the ATR. I believe it is technically "temporary", but our two Caravans in EWR that go to BWI and IAD have been "temporary" since I've been with the company and maybe longer. We're getting more work as FedEx changes their operations around to become more efficient. I wish I could be more concrete, but what FedEx giveth, FedEx can taketh away. It really depends on their needs. But right now it's operating.

As an aside, if they hire you into CID, and the run goes away, I believe you would have the option of relocating, or floating out of CID, which means you'd probably be on the road a lot. Hope that helps!

Edit: It looks like we're hiring an A&P at CID, but I don't see any listings for crew. It's usually a good sign if they are looking for an A&P, could mean that run is going to be there long term.
Pretty cool, considering that CID is 6nm from where I grew up and exactly where I would like to relocate someday. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-19-2014, 08:24 PM
On Reserve

I'm gonna knock off for the night. If anyone else wants to post questions, feel free, and I'll answer them all at once. Safe travels all.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:26 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Flightcap View Post
Pretty cool, considering that CID is 6nm from where I grew up and exactly where I would like to relocate someday. Thanks for the info!

Yeah that'd work out great for you and the company. I'm pretty sure I saw a listing for crew there at some point, but I think it was filled, or they decided to use floaters to fill it. Wouldn't hurt to apply through our website and see if you get a call. We're also maintaining a database of qualified candidates for future expansion or new runs. We do have the issue of people getting their time in and moving on...mostly to the majors. We lost 3 Caravan guy to JetBlue as an example. They were all previous jet crew, so it didn't come as a huge surprise, but on the ATR side, you can get your multi turbine PIC in a couple years. I'm just too happy with the schedule and company and QOL to go to the ATR or jump ship. You can choose your own adventure.

@SatPak: I wish I could help you more with Empire bases, but I just really don't know about their operations. They do start at higher pay, but typically our ATR locations are much less expensive to live than, say Seattle, which they have a domicile. Down in North Carolina, or out in Iowa or Minnesota, or even the Memphis area I think would be much less costly than a lot of those West Coast places. Wish I could be more helpful, but you should come work for us anyway.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:41 PM
Working weekends

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: Left Seat

Thank you Piper877