Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2009

Originally Posted by Unusual Att View Post
Correct, however there is currently no street hiring into the Jet. They are supposed to only "promote" into the Citation going forward. There has been pretty much zero moment on the jet side with anything including attrition and deliveries.

Rumor is more deliveries late this year but nothing announced yet. If KD decides to pull a "wham bam thank you maam" and take quick jet deliveries in a very short period Gama may have no choice but to violate their promise of no more street hiring into the XLS. If its an airframe at a time over several months then I would say the KA guys will take those positions and hiring will continue to be right seat KA only.

That is all just my $.02 though so anything is possible.
Is the per-diem the same on the jet as it is on the KA?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2012
Position: 747

Originally Posted by RPJ80 View Post
Is the per-diem the same on the jet as it is on the KA?
Same Per-Diem. The Jet guys like to think that they are special but the don't eat any more or less than the King Air crews. More often than not lunch is FBO cookies and popcorn as there is not enough time built into the schedule to go and eat. Hotel Breakfast, Junk snack for lunch, Hotel dinner. Then go home for 3 days and feel like a guest because home is not a Hilton property. Wash your clothes, repack, and repeat.
Old 05-22-2015, 08:02 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
I can't see that being a good move. Talk about a mutiny.....
Exactly. Hopefully the WU people are more calculated than that. Though they may not realize how much of a commotion it'll create if they bring on jets so fast they have to go to street hiring again as it would leave the KAs too short staffed. I personally know at least three guys (who are fortunate and connected enough) that could have a new job with one phone call that will resign immediately if they street hire into the jet again. There's a few others who claim they will leave ASAP as well..

Originally Posted by Fetzervalve View Post
You guys also getting pilots from the regionals? If so, where are they coming from - and are they sticking around with the lousy schedule?

Let's hope your management fixes the schedule problem soon - with the projected growth, 8/6 would likely lead to a lot more applications.
We have hired several pilots from the regionals lately. The FO I just flew with was from RAH and is loving life here compared to there. Apparently reserve FOs at RAH often saw 6/1 so the schedule here is an improvement for some of them not to mention that massive pay raise.

Originally Posted by M696 View Post
Same Per-Diem. The Jet guys like to think that they are special but the don't eat any more or less than the King Air crews. More often than not lunch is FBO cookies and popcorn as there is not enough time built into the schedule to go and eat. Hotel Breakfast, Junk snack for lunch, Hotel dinner. Then go home for 3 days and feel like a guest because home is not a Hilton property. Wash your clothes, repack, and repeat.
Sadly there certainly is an aire of "superiority" among some of the jet crews. Most are very cool guys as I've had one or two come over to our aircraft and offer to help us out with cabin resets. baggage etc...but that was once..just once..I guess they are about average attitude wise. Sadly there are a few though that I'd really like to have an "honest" chat with in a dark alley. I know some of the KA guys are starting to call the jet guys "mainline."
Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

Originally Posted by HwkrPlt View Post
So aside from your phone interview, you didn't really have any "interview" questions?
No, not really. Just going over my resume and taking about previous aircraft flown, previous employers, any accidents / incidents etc. I think the sim is where they really put you under the spotlight. They're looking for good multi crew cockpit skills / CRM, and to see if you learned the callouts form the brief they sent.

I wore a suit, some guys wore casual. Considering they send you to Joseph A Bank to get measured for your uniform, it would probably be a smart move to look your best on the day.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Starbucks View Post
I can't see that being a good move. Talk about a mutiny.....
It's a lot cheaper to hire from the street than train two guys.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009
Position: First Officer

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post

It's that kind of screwed up thinking that got Gama into the hiring issue that it has now. Every time you pass over a King Air captain for upgrade into the XL, you have to hire an XL plus two King Air pilots because they both quit over the fact that they were passed over for promotion.
Old 05-22-2015, 02:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015
Position: Begging for a crew meal

Originally Posted by mojo6911 View Post
Not really. Everyone gets a type. From what I've seen - some of the people they just send to recurrent initially should really be going to through the full initial anyway.....
Old 05-26-2015, 04:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Do you get full pay from day one?
Old 05-26-2015, 05:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2013

Salary begins about one week before indoc in CT. During that week you will brew multiple pots of coffee and do CTS on line. You do get per diem (59/day) in training as well.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Default New Gama/WHEELS UP King Air Bases

Originally Posted by cloud counter View Post
Salary begins about one week before indoc in CT. During that week you will brew multiple pots of coffee and do CTS on line. You do get per diem (59/day) in training as well.

Ah cool, Thank you. Sent you a PM...

Last edited by Gators; 05-26-2015 at 06:46 AM.