Go Back   Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional
Register FAQ Advertising Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Regional Regional airlines

 

Welcome to Airline Pilot Forums

    Already registered? Login above

OR
 
To take advantage of all the site's features, become a member of
the largest community of airline pilots in the U.S. and beyond.

The advertising to the left will not show if you are a registered user.

Join the Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #11 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
Avroman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: FIRE ALPA
Posts: 1,437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
Since AMR's plan is to cease using the American Connection brand, and make all contractors fly as American Eagle, they need a name change. AMR also still plans to dump Eagle so they can go it alone. They will need a different name to bid flying from US, DL, UA, B6 and others.

Supposedly Skywest and their xJ subsidiary have already been awarded an ASA to fly as American Eagle, in Eagles colors.

A new low for the regional industry. Not only will they impersonate mainlines; now they'll impersonate other regionals.

Actually, this is the foot in the door for them to outsource mainline brands to other operators. If all it takes is a corporate name change to outsource the brand we're all in trouble. AMR us saying the Eagle brand is theirs to use and license as they see fit; just like they license it for t-shirts and baseball hats. So, next they will create AMR Air and AMR ground services. They can transfer all employees to one of the two companies. Now none of the employees work for AA; and AA becomes a brand they can license. So, places like Skywest and Republic will fly A320's and 73's with American Airlines on the side... and a small Operated By logo near the door.

Everybody complains if commuters getting jets 25 years ago being the camel nose into the tent. Well, here is the next greatest threat. The brand isn't ours; it's theirs. Our contracts all say flying on behalf of the company, not all flying on behalf of the AA brand.

APA hasn't addressed it, and the Eagle ALPA union isn't fighting it even though its happening to them first. The major pilot unions need to realize this is where the next threat to our jobs will come from. Yep, you can do all flying on behalf of the company; but your company is AMR flight Services staffing company; not American Airlines.
Look at all the AA stations where all the staff has been layed off and offered their same jobs at AMR Eagle Ground Services. It's headed our way next.
Sounds very similar to Nike. They have become a virtual company. They are simply a brand and marketing with everything else outsourced.
Avroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertising above will not show if you are a registered user.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:02 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
Avroman's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: FIRE ALPA
Posts: 1,437
Default

How about the name "The Walking Dead"? or has that already been taken by Pinnacle?
Avroman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
Phuz's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: E170A
Posts: 922
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avroman View Post
Sounds very similar to Nike. They have become a virtual company. They are simply a brand and marketing with everything else outsourced.
And Nike is one of those companies business schools love to 'teach' about.
Phuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
DASH8AV8R's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: A320/321 F/O
Posts: 123
Default New name for american eagle?

Piedmont!!
DASH8AV8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #15 (permalink)
Prime Minister
 
rickair7777's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: CRJ
Posts: 15,811
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
Since AMR's plan is to cease using the American Connection brand, and make all contractors fly as American Eagle, they need a name change. AMR also still plans to dump Eagle so they can go it alone. They will need a different name to bid flying from US, DL, UA, B6 and others.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
Supposedly Skywest and their xJ subsidiary have already been awarded an ASA to fly as American Eagle, in Eagles colors.
Supposedly they have already begun operations.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
A new low for the regional industry. Not only will they impersonate mainlines; now they'll impersonate other regionals.
??? Nothing has changed, regionals will bid and fly anything which pays enough and the choice of branding is up to the mainline partner. "American Egale" never was a unique identity, it was just express branding which was created and owned by AMR.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
Actually, this is the foot in the door for them to outsource mainline brands to other operators. If all it takes is a corporate name change to outsource the brand we're all in trouble. AMR us saying the Eagle brand is theirs to use and license as they see fit; just like they license it for t-shirts and baseball hats. So, next they will create AMR Air and AMR ground services. They can transfer all employees to one of the two companies. Now none of the employees work for AA; and AA becomes a brand they can license. So, places like Skywest and Republic will fly A320's and 73's with American Airlines on the side... and a small Operated By logo near the door.
Utter BS. All it takes to outsource mainline flying is scope relaxation.

You seem to have a very confused perception of what a brandname or trademark is...hint: it doesn't guarantee stable, lucrative, lifetime employment for labor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
Everybody complains if commuters getting jets 25 years ago being the camel nose into the tent. Well, here is the next greatest threat. The brand isn't ours; it's theirs. Our contracts all say flying on behalf of the company, not all flying on behalf of the AA brand.
Here is the next greatest nothing...this is what happens to senior regional labor groups, it's their normal lifecycle.

If you don't like your scope language, change it. But it's going to be legally difficult for the company to "re-interpret" existing contractual language after years of compliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
APA hasn't addressed it, and the Eagle ALPA union isn't fighting it even though its happening to them first. The major pilot unions need to realize this is where the next threat to our jobs will come from. Yep, you can do all flying on behalf of the company; but your company is AMR flight Services staffing company; not American Airlines.
Look at all the AA stations where all the staff has been layed off and offered their same jobs at AMR Eagle Ground Services. It's headed our way next.
There's nothing to fight, other than to get the best scope you can. Nothing is going to stop airlines from outsourcing ground labor if that saves them money...those folks are relatively easy to replace.

Pilots (and to a lesser extent mechanics) are a riskier proposition...its takes so long to train them (I'm just talking FAR/OPSPEC mandated company training) that I doubt any mainline would really outsource it's mainline pilot group (threaten to, yes). If they outsource all of their pilots to one company, now that company has them by the cajones, and the pilot group has the outsource company by the stones. Nothing would be any different, except there would be a middle-man skimming off the profits.

The thing to watch out for is outsourcing of mainline international flying to "codeshare" partners, not to regional pilots.
rickair7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
APC co-founder
 
HSLD's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B-777-200
Posts: 5,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HercDriver130 View Post
Flagship...Metro....Simmons......all names from the past.....
Executive, Chaparral, Wings West.......
HSLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:39 AM   #17 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: perma-FO
Posts: 246
Default

American Emu.

Kind of prophetic, really.
atrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
mooney's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: CL-65 captain
Posts: 1,966
Default

I heard they bought the rights to the Colgan name from Pinnacle. I heard it from a check airman who's sister's friend works in corporate.
__________________
"Comair whats yo Flagship?? Comair i did not copy yo Flagship?!"
mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #19 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: perma-FO
Posts: 246
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooney View Post
I heard they bought the rights to the Colgan name from Pinnacle. I heard it from a check airman who's sister's friend works in corporate.
Heard the same from my roommate's drug dealer who has a cousin that works the ramp in MEM.
atrdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #20 (permalink)
Gets Weekends Off
 
Moonwolf's Avatar
 
Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Sleeping
Posts: 553
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrdriver View Post
Heard the same from my roommate's drug dealer who has a cousin that works the ramp in MEM.
Your roommate does drugs? You gotta be careful being a pilot and all.
__________________
MOONWOLF
Moonwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
 

 
Reply
 



« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eagle TA samballs Regional 368 09-26-2012 09:23 PM
Eagle Pilots: A Must Read 32LTangoTen Regional 0 08-19-2012 01:47 PM
Another News Ariticle Ref Eagle's Shortage (Printed 09-01-07) Lbell911 Regional 23 04-22-2012 10:33 AM
American Eagle ALPA & AA APA Strike bgmann Regional 33 11-19-2011 07:33 PM
Eagle Noleone Regional 7 09-21-2007 07:24 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:52 PM.


vBulletin® v3.8.6, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2000 - 2012 Internet Brands, Inc.