Notices

FDX v The Future

Old 02-17-2017, 02:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by The Walrus View Post
Are drones CatIII qualified?
Autoland is, essentially, a drone landing.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007

I believe that Fedex will continue to be innovative, and that will keep them competitive. Trucks could run 24 hours a day right now if they wanted too, just need to put the drivers in the right locations. There will always be demand for overnight freight, and Fedex does that as quickly as can possibly be done. Every time there seems to be an obstacle in Fedex's way, and every time the media thinks Fedex is done with (it's just a matter of time), Fedex grows and does even better (fax machine). I think that with all the online shopping going on, and the demand to get a package there even quicker--that Fedex is positioned very well, for continued growth.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:14 AM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by JTwift View Post
How many gateways/outstations have CatII/III-certified runways?
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: FDX MD11 Capt in MEM

Max headwind 25k. Max x-wind 15k.

"The World on Time " -mostly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by ClutchCargo View Post

Max headwind 25k. Max x-wind 15k.

"The World on Time " -mostly

With winds like that, it's probably better than Cat II. Gotta click it off and do some of that pilot stuff.

I'm more concerned about TALPA and heavy rain.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2010
Position: B777 Capt

Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
The biggest threat to FedEx and UPS is our current President trade policies
Seriously?
Lets not take this discussion there.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Two Wheeler FrontSeat

Originally Posted by appDude View Post
Seriously?
Lets not take this discussion there.
Yes we can take it there, and yes I supported Trump, but his trade policies I won't support.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

No it isn't. A pilot is still there to take over when parameters are exceeded by the automatic systems.

The problem with drones is that they still have not demonstrated that they can see and avoid or sense and avoid. And once a system is created getting it certified and a standard adopted I believe is a long way off.

A big threat to drone airplanes would be hacking. Even our military's drones aren't exempt from that. We've seen our FAA systems crash, and nearly every airline has had their systems crashed or hacked.

It's going to be a while before the regulators, the lawyers, and the public is onboard when all this stuff is designed.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: FDX MD11 Capt in MEM

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
With winds like that, it's probably better than Cat II. Gotta click it off and do some of that pilot stuff.

I'm more concerned about TALPA and heavy rain.

Exactly. Which is why autolanding drones won't be coming to our ramps any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2017, 02:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: one

Originally Posted by PurpleToolBox View Post
No it isn't. A pilot is still there to take over when parameters are exceeded by the automatic systems.

The problem with drones is that they still have not demonstrated that they can see and avoid or sense and avoid. And once a system is created getting it certified and a standard adopted I believe is a long way off.

A big threat to drone airplanes would be hacking. Even our military's drones aren't exempt from that. We've seen our FAA systems crash, and nearly every airline has had their systems crashed or hacked.

It's going to be a while before the regulators, the lawyers, and the public is onboard when all this stuff is designed.
Precisely.

I fly a drone for fun, a name brand. These things lull you into a sense of "security" with their return-to-home features and their ability to land themselves. But they are in no way, shape, or form even REMOTELY ready to safely and reliably deliver packages!

Just ask any DJI drone owner about the "flyaway" problem. I had one do that myself.

-NOT to mention the problem that the FAA has with this. FAR 107 expressly forbids carriage of goods for hire beyond line of sight, and it forbids interstate commerce via drone as well. Even if the technology to use drones to safely deliver packages existed, the inertia and bureaucracy that exists at the FAA means that certification would take at least 10 years in my opinion.

Bezos thinks he can do ANYTHING. His ego is inflated due to the multi-billion dollar business he has created, and now he thinks he can enter the airline industry. An industry that is inherently unstable, barely profitable, and incredibly intolerant of any carelessness or neglect. He'll just be the latest to get his head handed to him by a corporate board, watch.

Again....never feed TROLLS.