Possible charge of Misdemeanor at MSP

Notices
Aviation Law Legal issues, FARs, and questions

Possible charge of Misdemeanor at MSP

Old 04-03-2017, 05:31 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Default Possible charge of Misdemeanor at MSP

Today, between flight at MSP, I was given the riot act. I went to the approved smoking section at the airport near gate C22 to have a smoke break between flight. My flight had come in to a gate near C22 and my next flight was leaving from a gate nearer to C22. I was approached by a ramp employee who asked me where my SIDA badge was. i explained that I was taking a break and that I would leave in two minutes. he accepted my story and told me to leave the area as soon and quick as possible. I made the mistake of taking the shortest route off the ramp area and went up a jetway. I was stopped by a second employee who challenged me, and I explained to him the story. He proceeded in calling up his supervisor by radio and his supervisor told him to grant me access and get me off the ramp. As I was in the Jetway, the first ramp employee stopped me and took me back down to the ramp and then proceeded to call his manager. the manager arrived and proceeded to give me a dressing down that I have not seen even in basic training. I was then informed by said manager that I would be spending the next 4 hours at the airport police office explaining. Airport police arrived at the scene, asked me a few questions, and I proceeded to explain to him what had happened. he took down my employee number, DL number and told me that he would kick this up his chain of command and let his boss decide what happens next. I was then informed that I could be charged with a misdemeanor and possibly have to appear in court. Compared to alcohol and drug offenses, how serious is this and what could the ramifications be in future job searches?
Thanks for your time
Old 04-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Was the cigarette worth it?
Old 04-03-2017, 07:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

I once watched a DL flight attendant get handcuffed and driven away after she went down to a ramp smoking area. I suspect the whole thing will be dropped with a slap on the wrist however they could revoke your side clearance which means you can't work. Best to be contrite, promise to never due it again and hope it goes away.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Position: Here and there

Prepare yourself for the understatement of the century...it's time to quit smoking.
Old 04-04-2017, 12:40 AM
On Reserve

Gentlemen and ladies if there are any in the forum. Irrespective of whether the cigarette was worth it or not, the question that remains is, compared to a DUI or other similar offence, how severe could this misdemeanor charge be?
Old 04-04-2017, 01:03 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I once watched a DL flight attendant get handcuffed and driven away after she went down to a ramp smoking area. I suspect the whole thing will be dropped with a slap on the wrist however they could revoke your side clearance which means you can't work. Best to be contrite, promise to never due it again and hope it goes away.

that is exactly what i did. low profile, fended the blows from the managers verbal attack, apologized profusely and promised it would not happen again. the police officer even stated that he will write in his report the fact that i was calm and collected and offered no defensive or offensive attitude. i hope it goes away. in addition to the above, i do know of many collegues who are working without a sida badge because they did not renew it and dont care to do so
Old 04-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by eraualex View Post
Gentlemen and ladies if there are any in the forum. Irrespective of whether the cigarette was worth it or not, the question that remains is, compared to a DUI or other similar offence, how severe could this misdemeanor charge be?
Severe with regard to what? Are you a pilot?

You bit the hand that you asked to feed you. Dont post asking for help, counsel, and input, then insult those who respond. Are you twelve years old? You ought not be smoking.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:22 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Badges? We don't need no stink in' badges....well apparently you do.
Don't ask others to bend the rules for you.
They could loose their job for letting you walk around without a badge.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle

Smoking is so 1980's. Time to move on (and live a lot longer.)
Old 04-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013

If you work for an unionized airline I'd contact your security representative. They'd be able to give you more help/guidance than a web forum.