Search
Notices

Do not pay alpa assesment!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 07:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Excessed WB Capt.

I think it is time to look at our other options.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:22 PM
trip trading freak

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: MD-11

Originally Posted by MEMA300 View Post
I think it is time to look at our other options.
Really? Like what? Where are YOU going to look? This was a company mistake. I agree with Tony that we should have been informed by our union, but it isn't like any of you are being falsely charged for dues on purpose. Our union is what WE make it. How about instead of crapping all over the union, some of you actually step up and contribute.... or at least participate! It's easy to arm chair quarterback every single thing that goes on but never get involved. Case in point, look at voting at something other than the contract. How many have actually attended a meeting? AYFKM! Now WE should look at other options.... GMAFB. So, open up that dusty wallet, shed a tear any pay what you owe.
Old 04-27-2017, 11:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Disenfranchised Cost Center

Originally Posted by Pakagecheck View Post
Really? Like what? Where are YOU going to look? This was a company mistake. I agree with Tony that we should have been informed by our union, but it isn't like any of you are being falsely charged for dues on purpose. Our union is what WE make it. How about instead of crapping all over the union, some of you actually step up and contribute.... or at least participate! It's easy to arm chair quarterback every single thing that goes on but never get involved. Case in point, look at voting at something other than the contract. How many have actually attended a meeting? AYFKM! Now WE should look at other options.... GMAFB. So, open up that dusty wallet, shed a tear any pay what you owe.
+1 !

and, it is not an "Assessment". It is a reconciliation for a company programming screw-up, and the trolls come out against ALPA. I'm ****ed too about the dues reconciliation, just wish better comm for the MEC prior to the company.
Old 06-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: moving target

I got my new ALPA lanyard in the mail today. Worth every penny I had to pay for my assessment
Old 06-20-2017, 09:57 AM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

WARNING: THREAD DRIFT AHEAD

Originally Posted by flextodaline View Post

I got my new ALPA lanyard in the mail today. Worth every penny I had to pay for my assessment

Dues, not assessment. Or, for those who timed it right, a small retirement bonus.

About the lanyard ...

Nice lanyard, not cheap by any standard. All the bells and whistles, custom position printing on both sides, buckle on the bottom, breakaway on the top, union "bug" well-hidden from view.

Ostensibly, the design was motivated by the recent experience where pilots found themselves without their cell phones, and all the phone numbers stored in them. I double-checked the package which contained the lanyard, and I have not found a cell phone included. Apparently, the lanyard only addresses the issue of phone numbers. Had the pilots been wearing this lanyard, they would still be without their phones.

But, if they were wearing the "In Case of Accident/Incident" ID backers, the pilots would have had numbers for the ALPA Worldwide Accident/Incident Hotline and for the FedEx ALPA MEC Office. Sure, they wouldn't have the ASAP Hotline or DG Hotline numbers, but I think they might have had some time before those numbers were needed.

It seems to this penny-pincher that an updated ID backer with a few additional numbers would have been a more cost-effective way to provide phone numbers, and ID backers can be used with any and all lanyards, or even no lanyards at all. Even pilots wearing lanyards to support the Marine Corps or a non-SEC university [4th image not supported by APC's choice of vBulletin settings, so imagine a <wink> emoticon here to indicate teasing] can attach the ID backer between their Known Crewmember tag and The Company's Workplace Violence Prevention / Active Threat Event card.

So, as I said above, ostensibly ... This makes me wonder what the real motivation was for spending a bunch of money, by my estimation upwards of $15,000 conservatively, for fancy new lanyards when ALPA National provides the standard black lanyards for free. (That number is just for the lanyards; packaging and mailing probably cost as much.)

Are we looking for something to closely resemble (compete with) the lanyards with airplanes printed on one side (continuous printing, by the way, which is cheaper) and FLIGHT OPERATIONS printed on the other side? Should we be looking for free pizza and soft drinks to go with these?

I don't feel a need to blend in with those, so I'm thinking I'll stick with the black ALPA lanyard for now. Or, if it's not good enough, maybe it's time for my Tennessee lanyard. [another <wink> emoticon here]

Oh, and I'm keeping my cellphone in my pocket. It has all the numbers.

And maybe someday we'll see the ALPA logo on the marketing material for the FedEx St. Jude's PILOT car build.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 767 CA

Gotta agree with you Tony. We don't need new lanyards.
Old 06-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by Overnitefr8 View Post
Gotta agree with you Tony. We don't need new lanyards.
+2.
Almost as if they read this site, ALPA sends an email titled "Stewards of your Dues"...

"Our Pilots Place Their Trust In Us": Conference Trains Stewards of Your Dues

Bet that cost more than he paltry sum for the lanyards.
Cheers.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2014
Position: one

Originally Posted by 11man View Post
Let's send a clear message to alpa. Do you remember when we hit the button to stop pbs?

Let's send that same message to alpa now.
Let's not pay the assesment. Let them put us in bad standing. It's not like we're voting on another contract any time soon. Remember they sold us out by signing a 6 year deal? Remember they sold us out over passover pay? Remember they sold us out over our a fund? Remember they sold us out over our b fund increase? Remember best we can get? Remember buy up plan increase price (because of aca?)? Remember the lay flat seats will be ok? Remember "this puts us highest paid"? Remember our alpa spent frivolously? Remember how the bonus was suppose to be paid 55/40 then 5%? Well where is our 5%? Now rumors say we won't get 5%? Is this another shady thing our alpa is doing to us?

So it's been about 1.5 years since our signing date and we still haven't gotten our bonus but now alpa has messed up accounting and asking for more money to be paid Asap. Well I say let's push the button and not pay until we get our 5%!!! If we don't get the 5% let fdx alpa pay the shortage. It's time to take a stand. Let's not pay, put us in bad standing. What do we have to lose.
Methinks someone is anti-union.....

FU!
Old 06-26-2017, 04:55 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by 11man View Post
Let's send a clear message to alpa. Do you remember when we hit the button to stop pbs?

Let's send that same message to alpa now.
Let's not pay the assesment. Let them put us in bad standing. It's not like we're voting on another contract any time soon. Remember they sold us out by signing a 6 year deal? Remember they sold us out over passover pay? Remember they sold us out over our a fund? Remember they sold us out over our b fund increase? Remember best we can get? Remember buy up plan increase price (because of aca?)? Remember the lay flat seats will be ok? Remember "this puts us highest paid"? Remember our alpa spent frivolously? Remember how the bonus was suppose to be paid 55/40 then 5%? Well where is our 5%? Now rumors say we won't get 5%? Is this another shady thing our alpa is doing to us?

So it's been about 1.5 years since our signing date and we still haven't gotten our bonus but now alpa has messed up accounting and asking for more money to be paid Asap. Well I say let's push the button and not pay until we get our 5%!!! If we don't get the 5% let fdx alpa pay the shortage. It's time to take a stand. Let's not pay, put us in bad standing. What do we have to lose.
Please sign your name.

Eric Popper
737 UAL
Old 06-26-2017, 09:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: 777

Originally Posted by epopper View Post
Please sign your name.

Eric Popper
737 UAL
First post? And it's not even on"your" board! Nice!