Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo > FedEx
Best ANR Headset for FDX use? >

Best ANR Headset for FDX use?

Notices

Best ANR Headset for FDX use?

Old 06-27-2017, 05:46 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2017

I'm on the MD-11. Domestically I don't think it makes a big difference except I would rather wear something that is mine not a headset that has been spit on by 600 guys. Internationally I think having a good headset can make a huge difference. There have been many times where I was able to understand controllers with my Bose headset when the other guys had no idea what was being said.
I just upgraded to the Bose A-20. I love them. If you happen to have a Bose X tryouts into trading it in. I just got $425 for mine and Bose also offers a discount if you happen to keep your CFI current.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Do many people use the Clarity Aloft? I wonder how it is for long haul. I just use it for flights around 4 hours or less.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 1 on big twin

Originally Posted by Maingear View Post
Do many people use the Clarity Aloft? I wonder how it is for long haul. I just use it for flights around 4 hours or less.
I use the clarity aloft on the 777..

Works great and lasts long time.

Didn't reply in this thread though because the OP asked about ANR... and the Clarity Aloft is more Passive Noise Reduction.

Love it though!
Old 07-05-2017, 03:36 PM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Jumbo Pilot View Post

Didn't reply in this thread though because the OP asked about ANR... and the Clarity Aloft is more Passive Noise Reduction.

If you want to get picky, Active Noise Reduction is a misnomer. Active Noise Cancelling is more accurate. The device monitors the ambient sound and produces a sound wave -- more noise -- that consists of a sine wave 180 degrees out of phase with the ambient noise. The result is a cancellation of the noise, but not a reduction. Technically, it's more noise.

Reduction comes from passive means, such as earplugs or ear muffs, devices intended to be barriers to keep the noise from reaching the eardrum in the first place.

Everyone has their own preferences, their own ears and hearing abilities/difficulties, and their own specific applications, but I think the best I've ever used was the Bose Aviation X. I've not tried them, but I can't help but believe the Bose A20s are just as good if not better. Both combine state of the art ANC with a pretty decent passive reduction setup.

If only we had an employer who cared enough to include Hotmic in our communications suite.

Maybe we need a committee ...
Old 07-05-2017, 03:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 767 Captain

Chinch bugs........ magenese........ a lot of people don't know about that stuff......
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz-5c9SEjOM
Old 07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: 767 Trunk Monkey
Thumbs up Final Answer (for me): Bose A-20

Originally Posted by FEDREX View Post
I'm on the MD-11. Domestically I don't think it makes a big difference except I would rather wear something that is mine not a headset that has been spit on by 600 guys. Internationally I think having a good headset can make a huge difference. There have been many times where I was able to understand controllers with my Bose headset when the other guys had no idea what was being said.
I just upgraded to the Bose A-20. I love them. If you happen to have a Bose X tryouts into trading it in. I just got $425 for mine and Bose also offers a discount if you happen to keep your CFI current.
Just flew with the Bose A-20--wow! I can actually hear what ATC is saying now. HUGE improvement over even the "nice" Telex model, much less the basic. Appreciate all the dialogue and suggestions.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:49 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2012
Position: Anchorage

I use the Bose A20s on the MD-11 internationally. They make a huge difference trying to understand some of the controllers, and also with HF checks. Money well spent.
I do carry classic Bose ANC headphones for deadheads as they are a lot more inconspicuous.
Worth checking some of the airline mileage deals for the purchase. I got 15miles per dollar from United. Helped with the price sting a little.
Old 07-06-2017, 04:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: Disenfranchised Cost Center

Originally Posted by Maingear View Post
I purchased a Clarity Aloft recently and have used it on 2 long B777 trips; love it! Much lighter and less cumbersome than the ANR headset I had that went kaput, easier to pack. I don't mind the in-ear earplug setup at all, leave both sides in my ear inflight. Cross talking with the other pilot not an issue unless he his looking away at his iPad or EFB.
Old 07-06-2017, 05:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: 767 CA

But what I don't understand is so many of the guys I fly with that have their own headsets go to speaker after reaching FL180.
Old 07-06-2017, 06:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Dingo155 View Post
I use the Bose A20s on the MD-11 internationally. They make a huge difference trying to understand some of the controllers, and also with HF checks. Money well spent.
I do carry classic Bose ANC headphones for deadheads as they are a lot more inconspicuous.
Worth checking some of the airline mileage deals for the purchase. I got 15miles per dollar from United. Helped with the price sting a little.
How does talking within the cockpit work with the A20s on? The silly little headsets Fedex provides barely cover anyone's ear but everyone still flips them out of the way.