New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2015
Position: B777 Capt

VAPP sounds great! I propose something even better... PUKE

Pilots
Unified for
Keeping
Everything

We can get Frank Fatto and Paul Ca$$el out of retirement and pay them and a bunch of lawyers big fees to get us back what we had in the previous contract.

Where can I send my checks?
Old 07-09-2017, 04:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Two Wheeler FrontSeat

Originally Posted by CompetentFool View Post
The Pension Protection Act of 2006 had onerous funding requirements for all the major pension plans in the US. So congress allowed the following:

Airline Relief
. The PPA includes special rules for
commercial passenger airlines and airline catering
companies. Generally, plans sponsored by these entities
may elect to amortize any funding shortfalls over a ten year

period beginning in 2008.

So evidently FedEx owes our pension a couple billion dollars to meet this requirement in 2018. It's cheaper for the company to hand off the plan to ALPA and then allow ALPA to administer the plan outside of the PPA 2006 funding requirements. Thus the VAPP. FedEx continues to make monthly funding payments to ALPA but avoid the 2 billion cash payment due next year.

"Stop giving the company ideas for next negotiation". Haha, you're right. I should have known the company negotiators peruse this board on a daily basis for ideas on how to run their company. "Hey Fred, we're out of negotiating ideas... I guess we'll just give ALPA everything they've asked for. Fred- "Damnit no! Check the APC board for ideas on how to run this five billion dollar company. Those dumbsheet pilots are full of good ideas"
You would be very naive if you think that no body from management pay attention to anything said on here or any other public forum. If management had a public forum, we all would be lurking too. With that said, there still isn't any justification to hand over the pension. Let them cough up that 2 billion dollars if that's what it takes.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: leaning to the left

It's hard to continue to fund pension plans when you've raised your stock dividend 500% in the past 9 years.(I won't even talk about senior management raises)

2008---FDX stock paid .40/ share (~$106 Million annually)
2017---FDX stock pays $2.00/share (~$530 Million annually)

That's now an additional $424 million, of our profits, we pay to the shareholders every year. I don't have a problem with a corporation paying a dividend...Just not at the expense of the labor that earned those profits.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Busboy View Post
It's hard to continue to fund pension plans when you've raised your stock dividend 500% in the past 9 years.(I won't even talk about senior management raises)

2008---FDX stock paid .40/ share (~$106 Million annually)
2017---FDX stock pays $2.00/share (~$530 Million annually)

That's now an additional $424 million, of our profits, we pay to the shareholders every year. I don't have a problem with a corporation paying a dividend...Just not at the expense of the labor that earned those profits.

Well said Busboy, I tired of people making excuses for why FedEx can't or don't want to continue the pension plan.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

Pension plan is funded.

Pension is also not changing.

Pension also contains no COLA.

If taking on some risk = a higher earnings CAP + COLA (during rising markets),
not sure why I'd veto it out of hand.

The era of no Govt oversight of pension plans is long gone
Old 07-09-2017, 01:03 PM
Beaches and Sand

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Chasing Surf

No.
NO.
NO!!!!!!
Sorry if your management bonus is less than the usual 6 figures but not my problem.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

my management bonus is the same as it's always been

Old 07-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD11 FO

Originally Posted by StarClipper View Post
Why is this even a discussion? A highly profitable company like FedEx and there's discussion of relieving them if their responsibilities the retirement plan. The discussion should be how can the pilot retirement plan be tied into managements retirement plan. Anything else about different option should not even be entertained. Stop giving the company ideas for next negotiation
Because it might result in greater returns! Duh, do you read ANYTHING or just social media?
Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
Because it might result in greater returns! Duh, do you read ANYTHING or just social media?
Greater returns huh? 😏
Old 07-10-2017, 03:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Yes,
greater returns as discussed in the link posted.

Few months ago CD held an AOC meeting, pretty fired up about some of the ideas being researched to potentially improve our A plan (need mgt agreement).

Ideas that wouldn't reduce or change the funding component, but reduce the administrative costs and pass those savings onto US.

For a newhire (or a retiree) the value of our A plan is going to decrease. Assuming a relative constant inflation our A plan's current value of 130k per year is cut in half in 28-30 years (sooner if Inflation spikes)

For comparison, over the same time NB Captain salary of 260'sh K will grow to 520'sh k...so what is currently a 50'sh % A plan for NB Captains (and FO's) will be a 25'sh % A plan (would be a higher percentage for FO's, just as you'd currently have to be a pretty hard working FO to wind up with an A plan that's less than 50%. But we do have FO's who make 260+ currently)