Old 03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Default How deep will TSA probe? Apparantly very deep

LA Scare Diverts Plane to Vegas
Tuesday, March 06, 2007

By ROBERT JABLON, Associated Press Writer

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
LOS ANGELES — An Iraqi immigrant with a suspicious device lodged in a body cavity was detained Tuesday at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

A jetliner bound for Philadelphia, meanwhile, was diverted to Las Vegas because the man's luggage was aboard.

Officials said the device and the luggage were cleared by bomb squads in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

"There never was a threat," said Larry Fetters, a security director for the federal Transportation Security Administration.

Fadhel Al-Maliki, 35, was held for a mental evaluation and for a possible immigration violation, federal officials said.

Al-Maliki, of Atlantic City, N.J., is a permanent legal resident who came to the U.S. in 1994.

He had flown to Los Angeles from Philadelphia on Monday and was booked for a return flight early Tuesday. He triggered an alert during a security screening, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.

"He initially said (the device) was therapeutic," she said.

The device had a wire and what may have been a magnet concealed in his rectum, federal officials said. It did not contain any explosives.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements

Al-Maliki said he had flown to Los Angeles for a visit, Eimiller said.

No takeoffs or landings were affected at the LA airport. But a US Airways jet en route to Philadelphia was diverted because Al-Maliki's checked luggage already had been screened and put aboard.

Flight 1422, carrying 143 passengers and six crew, landed at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas about 8:30 a.m. The plane was searched and later cleared to continue on to Philadelphia, an airport spokesman said.

___

Associated Press Writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006
Position: Row well and live...

Originally Posted by Sr. Barco View Post
LA Scare Diverts Plane to Vegas
Tuesday, March 06, 2007

By ROBERT JABLON, Associated Press Writer

E-MAIL STORY PRINTER FRIENDLY VERSION
LOS ANGELES — An Iraqi immigrant with a suspicious device lodged in a body cavity was detained Tuesday at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities said.

A jetliner bound for Philadelphia, meanwhile, was diverted to Las Vegas because the man's luggage was aboard.

Officials said the device and the luggage were cleared by bomb squads in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.

"There never was a threat," said Larry Fetters, a security director for the federal Transportation Security Administration.

Fadhel Al-Maliki, 35, was held for a mental evaluation and for a possible immigration violation, federal officials said.

Al-Maliki, of Atlantic City, N.J., is a permanent legal resident who came to the U.S. in 1994.

He had flown to Los Angeles from Philadelphia on Monday and was booked for a return flight early Tuesday. He triggered an alert during a security screening, FBI spokeswoman Laura Eimiller said.

"He initially said (the device) was therapeutic," she said.

The device had a wire and what may have been a magnet concealed in his rectum, federal officials said. It did not contain any explosives.

(Story continues below)

Advertise Here
Advertisements

Al-Maliki said he had flown to Los Angeles for a visit, Eimiller said.

No takeoffs or landings were affected at the LA airport. But a US Airways jet en route to Philadelphia was diverted because Al-Maliki's checked luggage already had been screened and put aboard.

Flight 1422, carrying 143 passengers and six crew, landed at McCarran International Airport in Las Vegas about 8:30 a.m. The plane was searched and later cleared to continue on to Philadelphia, an airport spokesman said.

___

Associated Press Writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
I'm surprised he wasn't flying from SFO.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:21 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2006

Maybe a test run to see what they can get thru security?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: This side of the dirt.

Originally Posted by billb View Post
Maybe a test run to see what they can get thru security?
Guaranteed. They're not even close to being done with us.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Do not, I repeat, do not, show this story to the ACLU. However, my impressions of the TSA (at least in this incident) have improved 10,000 percent. It's about time we're profiling some of these guys.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:54 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Yeah, I'm a little surprised at the TSA's....um, diligence, on this one.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Smile

Originally Posted by Jetjok View Post
Do not, I repeat, do not, show this story to the ACLU. However, my impressions of the TSA (at least in this incident) have improved 10,000 percent. It's about time we're profiling some of these guys.
Where does it say that he was apprehended via profiling?

Personally, I support the ACLU. I feel they help protect us from the kind of reactionary panic that is the only truly large scale threat the terrorists can muster.

Ok, flame on!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by cma2407 View Post
I'm surprised he wasn't flying from SFO.
Touche!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: 767 FO

Originally Posted by Fokker28 View Post

Personally, I support the ACLU. I feel they help protect us from the kind of reactionary panic that is the only truly large scale threat the terrorists can muster.

Ok, flame on!

I think you are saying reactionary panic is worse than being trapped on the 98 floor of the WTC. WOW.

No doubt you don't like Bush listening to nanna's phone calls to abdul in Pakistan.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Fokker28 View Post

Ok, flame on!
Well that's the stupidest thing I have read today, but it's early.