Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Hangar Talk
Divorce and Child Custody as an Airline Pilot >

Divorce and Child Custody as an Airline Pilot

Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Divorce and Child Custody as an Airline Pilot

Old 10-09-2017, 06:40 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
I had a prenup essentially nullifying the provisions of community property.
There was a great song written about that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzUPG8olnO0
Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

My divorce decree stated that I would provide a schedule for visitation before the first of the month. My ex was allowed to ask for certain days for me to try to bid off. I would then make a best effort to bid those days off. I was awarded the minimum days off under the pilot contract at the time. So I got visitation 12 days each month. If I got more days off than 12, she got to pick what 12 I got, except that I had to get 2 weekends with the kids.

My ex-wife hated this for 15 years and fought me tooth and nail. However, the court consistently ruled that I was working for the same company when the children were conceived and therefore she got what she should have expected.

The one really big thing that I got was I offered that she got to choose where the kids lived. However, once she made that decision, she couldn't move without court approval. It stopped her from moving around and using the fact I could travel for free to visit. I have many horror stories from pilots chasing their kids around the country. This was worth any financial considerations it may have cost.
Old 05-21-2022, 04:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2022
Position: IP, C-130J

How are things going now a few years later from the original posting of this thread?
Old 05-31-2022, 01:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2010

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Tough situation, sorry it happened.

Can't offer any advice, but I can relate a rare "Dad win" story...

Military buddy was doing (post-military) contract work in the middle east.

He was divorced, wife had the kids in the states, economy was down so he was working overseas to make enough money to get ahead while paying off the ex.

His alimony or child support or whichever was based on his current income (due to him having a reduced payment when unemployed, I don't understand it all).

Anyway, his demonic ex suspects he's making more than he's admitting so she actually travels to the middle east to take local legal action to access his pay info (US courts have no jurisdiction of course).

But she makes a biiiig mistake...she brought the two kids. So dude goes to a local lawyer to see about how to handle the pay issue. Lawyer gives him advice on that. And says OBTW... fathers have default child custody in this nation. So lawyer arranges a custody hearing, and based on that freezes the ex's ability to take the kids out of the country pending the hearing. Dude gets automatic full custody, mom visitation at his discretion. Ex is not even allowed to open her trap at the hearing.

Since this was all legal in the jurisdiction, the US courts cannot intervene. Pyscho gets sent home sans kids. Dude allows her to visit (supervised) as often as she's willing to fly out. This goes on for a couple years, and he then negotiates a better deal for custody/support back home, and then returns to the US.
I love this