Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Berry Aviation

Old 02-08-2019, 12:03 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Gear Operator

Originally Posted by hav3atps View Post
Curious what happened to the N.Island contract that went to Rampart.
It's not the first time we've lost the NZY flying. Companies come in and undercut us on the price but don't realize that they can't make a profit doing it with their cheaper operating aircraft AND meeting the gov't specs. There's speculation that Berry will get the contract back, and if that happens the flying will be permanently shifted from Metros to Dash-8s.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Wrenching on avionics

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: sitting

Originally Posted by dmk1984 View Post
It's not the first time we've lost the NZY flying. Companies come in and undercut us on the price but don't realize that they can't make a profit doing it with their cheaper operating aircraft AND meeting the gov't specs. There's speculation that Berry will get the contract back, and if that happens the flying will be permanently shifted from Metros to Dash-8s.
Had also noticed that Berry was recruiting on JSF for pilots at NZY as recent as 2/1. Even though I was offered a position with Rampart a week prior. Declined as it's pretty unsettling as to what's going on down there right now and not sure if Otters are the best alternative. Berry was in there a lot of years. Still remember the days when it was Ted's Convairs..
Old 04-28-2019, 06:41 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Weird question I know but what are the real hiring requirements for E120 captains? I saw on their website that for Mid-ohio bases they need 3,000 hours. I found an add on climbto350 that links to the BA website that says it’s only 1800 total with 400 multi. The FO position was 750 with 1500 preferred so I know thats not it.

What kind of longevity would a the CAK base have? (I live there) The only reason I can tell BA has planes there is they bought the old BF goodrich hangar for Mx? That’s where I see their planes parked anyway. Is there revenue freight out of there?

Also curious about what kind of pay and schedule the job would have. So far it sounds like it’s on call mon-fri, not sure about pay.
Old 04-30-2019, 09:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: Gear Operator

Originally Posted by Biggbird View Post
Weird question I know but what are the real hiring requirements for E120 captains? I saw on their website that for Mid-ohio bases they need 3,000 hours. I found an add on climbto350 that links to the BA website that says it’s only 1800 total with 400 multi. The FO position was 750 with 1500 preferred so I know thats not it.

What kind of longevity would a the CAK base have? (I live there) The only reason I can tell BA has planes there is they bought the old BF goodrich hangar for Mx? That’s where I see their planes parked anyway. Is there revenue freight out of there?

Also curious about what kind of pay and schedule the job would have. So far it sounds like it’s on call mon-fri, not sure about pay.
Captain minimums are 1800/400 but higher times are of course preferred. Also preferred is previous cargo/135 experience. All FO and Captain applicants do an FTD screening as part of the interview process.

Berry is headquartered in San Marcos, TX (HYI) but our second largest pilot domicile/Mx base is CAK. When fully staffed CAK has 6 crews. (HYI has 7 crews.) So to answer your question, yes there is plenty of revenue activity in CAK.

As far as schedule/pay I can answer questions if you care to DM me but the short answer is we operate on-call M-F with weekends and major holidays off. Every 4th weekend pilots are "on-call" but are usually at home. The "on-call" M-F aspect often scares people off, but the reality is that you overnight away from your domicile less than half the year. And while it is a 1 hour call out, you rarely if ever get a call you aren't expecting. There is a rotation based on who has flown most recently and dispatch is good at communicating who is up for the next revenue trip and where you sit in the rotation. You need to be available (i.e. living in base) but you aren't glued to your house and phone.

Pay for captains is in the mid to upper 100s. There is an airline profile for Berry on APC where you can get a good rundown of the pay structure: https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...y_aviation_inc
Old 05-17-2019, 02:24 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Berry DHC-8

How is Berry flying a Dash 8 135 with the 135 payload restriction? I saw it is outfitted with only 30 seats....
Old 05-19-2019, 03:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2019

Anybody able to shed light on FO hiring mins? I saw "preferred: 1500TT 250 Multi" and "required: 750TT, can be waived by DO or CP." What does this mean? What are the situations that 750 can be waived? I'm a low time Commercial AMEL from the area, I'd absolutely love to work for Berry.
Old 05-20-2019, 02:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Does anyone have any insight on Berry’s OCONUS DOD work?
Old 06-08-2019, 11:23 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Used to be premier job OCONUS. Think it is on the low side now (pay,benefits,staffing), compared to other ISR operators. Different than ISR flying but considerably more risk due to many legs per day to many bases. Business travel is about all that is left. Seems to be following an AAR type downslide.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Question

I heard that the CONUS guys were not getting many hours at all
Old 07-01-2019, 11:08 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2017
Position: Full time contractor

Originally Posted by dmk1984 View Post
Captain minimums are 1800/400 but higher times are of course preferred. Also preferred is previous cargo/135 experience. All FO and Captain applicants do an FTD screening as part of the interview process.

Berry is headquartered in San Marcos, TX (HYI) but our second largest pilot domicile/Mx base is CAK. When fully staffed CAK has 6 crews. (HYI has 7 crews.) So to answer your question, yes there is plenty of revenue activity in CAK.

As far as schedule/pay I can answer questions if you care to DM me but the short answer is we operate on-call M-F with weekends and major holidays off. Every 4th weekend pilots are "on-call" but are usually at home. The "on-call" M-F aspect often scares people off, but the reality is that you overnight away from your domicile less than half the year. And while it is a 1 hour call out, you rarely if ever get a call you aren't expecting. There is a rotation based on who has flown most recently and dispatch is good at communicating who is up for the next revenue trip and where you sit in the rotation. You need to be available (i.e. living in base) but you aren't glued to your house and phone.

Pay for captains is in the mid to upper 100s. There is an airline profile for Berry on APC where you can get a good rundown of the pay structure: https://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/...y_aviation_inc
“Overnight away from domicile less than half the year”.

So, are you saying a typical M-F you would sleep in a hotel 2 or 3 nights? Maybe more some weeks, maybe not at all some weeks?