Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo > FedEx
Fedex LTD, and Alpa Mec supplemental plan. >

Fedex LTD, and Alpa Mec supplemental plan.

Notices

Fedex LTD, and Alpa Mec supplemental plan.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:53 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Default Fedex LTD, and Alpa Mec supplemental plan.

Two questions. Does the Fedex LTD plan cover a pilot that looses his/ her medical- and cannot hold a first class medical? So if a pilot cannot get his/her medical back, they are covered until their retirement date, or until they are able to fly again?
Second, does the alpa mec supplemental plan cover us for the same reasons? Is a pilot covered until they are able to get their medical back? And does this plan only last 5 years, or does it cover one, until retirement?
I've heard a few stories of pilots out on medical, that aren't being covered by one or both of these plans... even though they have paid for the extra coverage. I'm asking these questions just to get clarification. I've read both plans, and it would be nice if they did truly cover a pilot that looses their medical. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: MD11FO

I'm not answering your question directly, but since I have a strong opinion on the subject here it goes.

The FDX MEC supplemental plan (you said ALPA, but I'm assuming you are talking about our specific supplemental and not the ALPA LOL plans) is doomed.

This FDX MEC supplemental has been around for a long time, long before the age changed from 60-65. It is an outstanding LTD supplemental as it accounts for income in excess of $260k per year, is tax free, etc, etc. Furthemore, there is the potential to make a lot more money staying on this plan versus retiring, and that is why it is doomed. Prior to the age 65 change, pilots on LTD had to stop collecting when they turned 60. Now, they can stay on the plan for five more years. The exorbitant rate increase we experienced in January of 2017 is only the beginning. This plan is too expensive to stay viable, and will eventually implode as more and more pilots cancel.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by CargoCan View Post
... Prior to the age 65 change, pilots on LTD had to stop collecting when they turned 60.

Now, they can stay on the plan for five more years. The exorbitant rate increase we experienced in January of 2017 is only the beginning. This plan is too expensive to stay viable, and will eventually implode as more and more pilots cancel.
Are you confident this is true?

It’s my understanding that while we still had 727s on property, pilots were not age limited on our LTD because the SO seat was not age limited

Disabled pilots typically stayed on LTD benefits until those benefits were less than their A fund defined retirement benefits

Years of Service credit continue to accrue under our current DB Plan

We are unaware how that will change in any new VB plan
Old 11-13-2017, 02:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by goose View Post
Two questions. Does the Fedex LTD plan cover a pilot that looses his/ her medical- and cannot hold a first class medical? So if a pilot cannot get his/her medical back, they are covered until their retirement date, or until they are able to fly again?
Second, does the alpa mec supplemental plan cover us for the same reasons? Is a pilot covered until they are able to get their medical back? And does this plan only last 5 years, or does it cover one, until retirement?
I've heard a few stories of pilots out on medical, that aren't being covered by one or both of these plans... even though they have paid for the extra coverage. I'm asking these questions just to get clarification. I've read both plans, and it would be nice if they did truly cover a pilot that looses their medical. Thanks.
I can't answer to every medical situation, but if you go out on LTD, you can stay on it until you turn 65 or retire. You accrue longevity.

The FedEx MEC plan covers you basically for the same duration. It essentially gives you a 67% benefit between the two. The supplemental plan is expensive but I still recommend it. Rates did not go up for 2018. They are getting close to pricing themselves out of the market.
Old 11-13-2017, 02:24 PM
Line Holder

Thanks. So we have these disability plans, but do they really cover a pilot if they can’t pass their medical? I was told that we have a few pilots that can’t get their medicals back, and they are being denied benifits. I don’t know if this is true. Just wondering if these plans are good to their word that we are covered if we loose our medical, and can’t get it back. Thanks.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: Gear Monkey

Originally Posted by goose View Post
Thanks. So we have these disability plans, but do they really cover a pilot if they can’t pass their medical? I was told that we have a few pilots that can’t get their medicals back, and they are being denied benifits. I don’t know if this is true. Just wondering if these plans are good to their word that we are covered if we loose our medical, and can’t get it back. Thanks.
Not sure what you’ve heard. I have never heard of a pilot who was unable to return to work due to losing their medical and was denied benefits.

Those on LTD are often required to pursue all other forms of government benefits available from state & federal sources

Some FedEx benefits may be offset, of other agencies also pay a disability benefit

This is common amongst most Disability Plans
Old 11-13-2017, 04:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

The company plan pays 60% of your salary (up to 270K I believe) for two years, then it drops to 50%. The FDX MEC supplemental plan pays on top of that, 17% of your salary (up to 1 million), or the ALPA plans have different payouts, and those are to age 65. You have to file for social security disability if you are on LTD, which is a serious paperwork drill.

I'm not sure of who you are talking about that lost their medical yet were denied LTD, I have never heard of that. Obviously if you were able to get your medical back and go back to work, you can't just keep collecting disability till age 65. People unable to collect on the ALPA or FDX MEC policies either didn't purchase the policy or had something medical they had hidden from the insurance company when they applied, I'm assuming.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: MD11FO

Originally Posted by DLax85 View Post
Are you confident this is true?

It’s my understanding that while we still had 727s on property, pilots were not age limited on our LTD because the SO seat was not age limited

Disabled pilots typically stayed on LTD benefits until those benefits were less than their A fund defined retirement benefits

Years of Service credit continue to accrue under our current DB Plan

We are unaware how that will change in any new VB plan
Yes. Prior to the age change the supplemental plan stopped at age 60. After the change to 65 the supplemental plan changed. At first you could choose 60 or 65, now the only option is 65.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: Excessed WB Capt.

We used to have a LTD plan thru FedEx that paid
Out 70% of you last twelve months. No cost. No doctor
Physical other your FAA.