Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

DUI and Medical

Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer

Not a physician here, but I am aware that Any diagnosis of blackout or loss of consciousness is pretty serious in the eyes of the FAA Flight Surgeon. Perhaps there are other details surronding the incident, and I imagine you would prefer not to discuss them here. I agree with the other posters that you should consult with a HIMS AME.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)

Originally Posted by Westcoastdude View Post
My medical has been sent to DC for review. Is that common?
Yes, and it’s a sign of progress because DC is where the final authority (FAA Chief Psychiatrist’s Office) is located.

My medical expires in March. Is there a chance I might be SOL?
Definitely not SOL. More likely, in my experience, would be a Special Issuance medical with conditions and follow-up exams.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2017

Originally Posted by PerfInit View Post
Not a physician here, but I am aware that Any diagnosis of blackout or loss of consciousness is pretty serious in the eyes of the FAA Flight Surgeon. Perhaps there are other details surronding the incident, and I imagine you would prefer not to discuss them here. I agree with the other posters that you should consult with a HIMS AME.
So I’ve been told. The report said “possible black out” but the overall diagnosis was alcohol abuse not dependency and monitoring was recommended.

Black out sums it up. Honestly if I didn’t “blackout” I wouldn’t have driven my car. There are details from the night that I don’t remember.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by tomgoodman View Post
Yes, and it’s a sign of progress because DC is where the final authority (FAA Chief Psychiatrist’s Office) is located.

Definitely not SOL. More likely, in my experience, would be a Special Issuance medical with conditions and follow-up exams.
Good to know thanks.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:20 PM
Line Holder

If I can’t get my medical reissued would I be covered under short and long term disability?
Old 01-12-2018, 06:57 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

If I can’t get my medical reissued would I be covered under short and long term disability?
You need to read the fineprint of your plan.

Often psychiatric issues are not covered, or have limited duration.

A DUI would presumably not be covered unless there was an underlying medical issue (ie addiction). If that's even covered.

Last edited by rickair7777; 01-13-2018 at 04:43 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2017

Probably not SOL, but it will be expensive.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:21 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2017

My medical has been sent to DC for review. Is that common?

My medical expires in March. Is there a chance I might be SOL?
Ok I literally just completed this process a few days ago. Im have the SI but still need to continue monitoring and psych evals once a year for a few years. When your med is sent to DC that means they are going to evaluate you for abuse. From .1499 to .20 is the Alcohol abuse criteria. They will most likely soon send you a letter saying that "Due to your history of substance abuse...etc etc" They will require a HIMS and monitoring and more documentation. So get the HIMS now! Do everything that he or she wants you to do. Also if your 121 they should have a treatment program that will allow you to still be employed but taken off flight status until the program is done. Im not going to lie. This process will be extremely difficult. It has been the hardest and most trying time of my life. From beginning to end it was 24 months. It reminded me of dealing with the Vogons from Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
Old 03-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: King Air 350i

Originally Posted by Vic5722 View Post
Ok I literally just completed this process a few days ago. Im have the SI but still need to continue monitoring and psych evals once a year for a few years. When your med is sent to DC that means they are going to evaluate you for abuse. From .1499 to .20 is the Alcohol abuse criteria. They will most likely soon send you a letter saying that "Due to your history of substance abuse...etc etc" They will require a HIMS and monitoring and more documentation. So get the HIMS now! Do everything that he or she wants you to do. Also if your 121 they should have a treatment program that will allow you to still be employed but taken off flight status until the program is done. Im not going to lie. This process will be extremely difficult. It has been the hardest and most trying time of my life. From beginning to end it was 24 months. It reminded me of dealing with the Vogons from Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
I've also just completed this entire process. By completed, I mean received my Special Issuance medical last week. The entire process for me took 2.5 years. Definitely not an easy, or cheap, process but can be completed. If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me. My next step is applying for my Canadian Temporary Resident Permit so I can enter Canada with the DUI on my record. Once I receive that, I'll be ready to return to the airlines.
Old 03-15-2018, 05:16 AM
Line Holder

I got my SI a few weeks ago. Alcohol monitoring as well as annual psychiatric exams for two years. I’m glad the process is more or less over and I definitely learned a lesson.