Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
First 135 Interviews Coming Up >

First 135 Interviews Coming Up

Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

First 135 Interviews Coming Up

Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Default First 135 Interviews Coming Up

I'm fortunate to have found myself with two 135 carrier interviews within 6 days of each other. Seeing as this is my first bigger gig, I don't want to be "that guy" and burn any bridges. Within my constant researching and teetering I feel like either company could be the better option for similar or different reasons.

My question is if the first interview goes well and they offer a position prior to the second and I accept it, how frowned upon is it to rescind that offer if the second interview turns out to be a better deal?

Just a guy trying to further my career, while not burning any bridges. Curious as to hear what others think that have been in my shoes.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

This is your first “bigger” gig? Take what you get and make it a success. You should have an idea how the two stack up, so you could delay responding to the first offer, if the second job gives you offer. I wouldn’t recommend accepting a position, then calling back saying, “no thanks, the operator down the street offers more”.

The importance here isn’t a few more dollars, it’s building success and a reputation; your gaining confidence in yourself and the confidence of employers.

GF
Old 01-11-2018, 05:58 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

"Thank you for considering me for this position. Unfortunately I have decided to accept another opportunity that was presented to me, and will not be proceed with the application process with your company. I wish you all the best in the future, and once again, I thank you for the opportunity".

It ain't that hard.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:12 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
This is your first “bigger” gig? Take what you get and make it a success. You should have an idea how the two stack up, so you could delay responding to the first offer, if the second job gives you offer. I wouldn’t recommend accepting a position, then calling back saying, “no thanks, the operator down the street offers more”.

The importance here isn’t a few more dollars, it’s building success and a reputation; your gaining confidence in yourself and the confidence of employers.

GF
Originally Posted by dera View Post
"Thank you for considering me for this position. Unfortunately I have decided to accept another opportunity that was presented to me, and will not be proceed with the application process with your company. I wish you all the best in the future, and once again, I thank you for the opportunity".

It ain't that hard.
Great advice, thanks GF. And yes, not hard, just wondered what other peoples experience has been. Thanks
Old 01-12-2018, 05:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

What's your long term goals? If it's major airlines stay where you are, get 1500 hrs, and move to a regional airline.

If it's not major airlines I'd look for stability, advancement, location, and pay.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
What's your long term goals? If it's major airlines stay where you are, get 1500 hrs, and move to a regional airline.

If it's not major airlines I'd look for stability, advancement, location, and pay.
My long term goal is to enjoy what I do. Whatever that may be. For right now, I simply don't have a lot of interest in the airlines. I seem to get crucified for saying that. My plans could always change, but for now 135 and corporate is appealing. Thanks for the advice!

JF
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by jks621 View Post
My long term goal is to enjoy what I do. Whatever that may be. For right now, I simply don't have a lot of interest in the airlines. I seem to get crucified for saying that. My plans could always change, but for now 135 and corporate is appealing. Thanks for the advice!

JF
Is airline flying for everyone? No. But it's the #1 choice amongst professional pilots for a reason.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Years and years ago, a fellow squadron pilot got a nice offer with a great corporate flight department. They sent me off to school for a type and ATP in very nice corporate jet. Back and less than a month later, he got an airline offer. I advised him to spend a year at this position; then leave. “You never know what the future might have and this is a golden job”. Off he went to the airline job. I had no dog in the fight; it didn’t matter to me. A decade or so go by and I happen to be seated next to his old chief pilot at an NBAA forum having lunch. One thing and another, recognizing my background; he asks “ how is John Doe? He really left us in the lurch. He won’t be forgotten, if you know what I mean?” Yes, I do.

No matter what one thinks, professional aviation is a small city of about 110,000 pros and in a city that size, you bump into people you know all the time.

GF
Old 01-12-2018, 09:47 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
Is airline flying for everyone? No. But it's the #1 choice amongst professional pilots for a reason.
If one doesn't understand why this is the case, enough experience will make it apparent.

Particularly given the unprecedented opportunities in the industry right now.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016

I have been in the situation you are describing a few times before.

My advice is to do a good job researching each company before the interview. Google former employee reviews of each company and see what they say. Also search for each companies most recent accidents.

I think younger people (ages 20-35) feel more pressured to accept a position on the spot. As long as you act enthused and gracious for the offer it is perfectly okay to ask the employer for a reasonable amount of time to consider the offer. I think asking for between (3-10) days is acceptable. Here is how you phrase it, "This is a really good offer but I need a few days to think it over. Can I get back to you by next Thursday?
95% of employers are going to say yes to that or at least give you some consideration period and the 5% that would say no, you would not want to work for anyway.

If you feel that it is the better company then there is no harm in accepting it on the spot. Just remember that when you accept an offer you are boxing yourself into a corner a little bit.

If you take time to consider and go to the second interview, then during the middle of the second interview you want to make a smooth segue into the offer/ interview that the first company made you. Saying something like "I just got that same question 4 days ago." I used to be an oilfield recruiter and if I found out that someone was in demand it always made me want to hire them/ increase the pay more.

Like one guy already said, do not second guess yourself and feel like you made the wrong decision. One thing about aviation that you will find out is that the grass is always greener somewhere else. Part of being a confident person is having the foresight to see something 5 years ahead, instead of squabbling over a $5k difference in your first years salary.