Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

101 Reasons to Not Work For ACMIs (ABX, ATI,

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 05:30 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by Fit4Doody View Post
For those on this thread that are Pro-ACMI, and argue that they are destination airlines, could you please give your reasons?
K4 is a destination for many, but it seems most new hires don't view it as such until they've been on the line for a bit. It's a matter of falling in love with the lifestyle, which is vastly different from the pax carriers.
Old 04-10-2019, 05:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Semi-Retired...

Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
K4 is a destination for many, but it seems most new hires don't view it as such until they've been on the line for a bit. It's a matter of falling in love with the lifestyle, which is vastly different from the pax carriers.
Same happening at Omni.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2014

I spent 14+ years hauling around United’s garbage. I don’t miss that one bit. No crash pads. No jumpseating. No overzealous passengers. No living in a UA sh*thole.

K4 has treated me better in the first few months than my previous regional ever did. There’s tons of money to be made without hearing about f/a drama or reading about the latest and greatest HR social media “hero” to get hired.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by Fit4Doody View Post
For those on this thread that are Pro-ACMI, and argue that they are destination airlines, could you please give your reasons?
People don’t typically plan on an ACMI career. You end up at one. Some are good, other are not. Some you can make a career at, some you don’t want to. There are some that are “fly by night”, others are are not.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:27 AM
On Reserve Forever

Joined APC: Sep 2009
Position: Would you like fries with that gear, sir?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.770bfc9f3122

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2019, 01:07 PM
VHR-very happily retired

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
Why is that the only other choice?

Perhaps there are those who are comfortable at ACMI, that find it meets their needs.

Few would suggest that ACMI is their dream job, but then again, for some, perhaps it is.
I am one of the few. At K4, it totally meets my needs and is my dream job. Until 2 years ago, I had never grossed more than 100k. I retire in 11 months unfortunately, but until then plan to continue to enjoy myself, with lots of siteseeing on the road and 2 weeks off every month to enjoy my rather full life at home. I will enjoy being retired too with the money Connie has paid me since the new contract.

Did I forget to mention the lack of problems with the Stews? The extremely well maintained and clean aircraft? The really nice hotels overseas? The cool destinations many of which I have never been too and have to bring my A game to meet the challenges. My A game is only part of why we will successfully get that aircraft there, it is the co-pilots I fly with. Backing each other up with, No complaining, no whining, just, lets get it done.

That is why it is my dream job. Is it yours? Maybe not.

Another complaint I read a lot about:

“The reason they introduce themselves in the cockpit is some pax guys got their panties in a wad about uniformed pilots in the back without meeting them despite the fact that they have full fare tickets.”

Who gives a crap how pilots travel? I will never understand why pilots complain about this. Does it make us look bad as a profession? No, actually the opposite. I travel in uniform when it is advantageous to me, I.e., no KCM, or leaving the flight I just came in on for a commercial home that gets me home a day early. Probably not getting those 3 bags on with a last minute ticket boarding at zone 9.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
I am one of the few. At K4, it totally meets my needs and is my dream job. Until 2 years ago, I had never grossed more than 100k. I retire in 11 months unfortunately, but until then plan to continue to enjoy myself, with lots of siteseeing on the road and 2 weeks off every month to enjoy my rather full life at home. I will enjoy being retired too with the money Connie has paid me since the new contract.

Did I forget to mention the lack of problems with the Stews? The extremely well maintained and clean aircraft? The really nice hotels overseas? The cool destinations many of which I have never been too and have to bring my A game to meet the challenges. My A game is only part of why we will successfully get that aircraft there, it is the co-pilots I fly with. Backing each other up with, No complaining, no whining, just, lets get it done.

That is why it is my dream job. Is it yours? Maybe not.

Another complaint I read a lot about:

“The reason they introduce themselves in the cockpit is some pax guys got their panties in a wad about uniformed pilots in the back without meeting them despite the fact that they have full fare tickets.”

Who gives a crap how pilots travel? I will never understand why pilots complain about this. Does it make us look bad as a profession? No, actually the opposite. I travel in uniform when it is advantageous to me, I.e., no KCM, or leaving the flight I just came in on for a commercial home that gets me home a day early. Probably not getting those 3 bags on with a last minute ticket boarding at zone 9.
Its unfortunate that at k4 it was a long time coming....its been that way for 25+ years at ABX. It was hard not to make 200k as a DC9 Captain in 1998 at ABX. Home in the house every weekend and 20 days a month while splitting every start and end trip. Been a great ride.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: 175 CA

Originally Posted by 4runner View Post
Epaulets come off...
Why?

Used to fly 135 charter and had to DH on the airlines. I only had one instance with an FA asking me to take my epaulets off. I was traveling on a full fare walk up ticket ($1500 domestic) iirc and the FA says "Please don't sit in the exit row, some people pay for those"

Check your manifest grandma, I did..
Old 04-19-2019, 12:34 AM
VHR-very happily retired

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by Varsity View Post
Why?

Used to fly 135 charter and had to DH on the airlines. I only had one instance with an FA asking me to take my epaulets off. I was traveling on a full fare walk up ticket ($1500 domestic) iirc and the FA says "Please don't sit in the exit row, some people pay for those"

Check your manifest grandma, I did..
I am sorry, if that was your response this belongs in tool of the day. If she thought you were jumpseating she would have been right in telling you that back then. If you are going to show up in uniform I feel you are obligated to introduce yourself to the FA’s as a wAy of explaining yourself.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: retired

Originally Posted by maxjet View Post
I am sorry, if that was your response this belongs in tool of the day. If she thought you were jumpseating she would have been right in telling you that back then. If you are going to show up in uniform I feel you are obligated to introduce yourself to the FA’s as a wAy of explaining yourself.
If he had introduced himself as a JS then fine otherwise she shouldn’t be harassing the customers.