New Hire Classes and Drops

Notices

New Hire Classes and Drops

Old 01-12-2019, 08:24 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012
Position: 777

Originally Posted by Ni hao View Post
The 757 does EWR BOS ORD DEN that's pretty much it from SFO/LAX. Did I mention EWR you will feel like you are based there. You won't hold Hawaii trips. MCO SEA LAS occasionally pop up. The good news is a lot of 1 leg and done off to the hotel. Depends what you want.
And….don't forget QUOL. If a new hire can get a 757 bid, you will be junior and likely on reserve for a very long time. Years. It may not be worth it. And yes, the west coast 757 flying sucks--both LAX and SFO. Lots of all nighters, years worth for a NH. Be careful what you wish for.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: FO

Can anyone offer info regarding the LAX 320 base? It appears to be in the drop occasionally. From what I understand the flying is largely out of SNA though? Curious about the size, seniority, and pairings compare to the 737?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: A320

Originally Posted by Pilot553 View Post
Can anyone offer info regarding the LAX 320 base? It appears to be in the drop occasionally. From what I understand the flying is largely out of SNA though? Curious about the size, seniority, and pairings compare to the 737?
LAX 320 is a very small base, only about 50 F/Os. The big downside is that, in addition to LAX, you have to cover SNA, BUR and ONT. The base usually doesn’t do nearly as many red-eyes as SFO (February actually has none). Lots of west coast flying but you’ll get all over the country, except Hawaii of course. If you live in LA it would be a good base but as a commuter I’d recommend SFO 320 as it seems to be growing and it has been the junior seat system wide for some time. Seniority is a hell of a drug...I’m 50% and have been on property just 1.75 yrs.
Old 01-12-2019, 09:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

Originally Posted by givememywings View Post
LAX 320 is a very small base, only about 50 F/Os. The big downside is that, in addition to LAX, you have to cover SNA, BUR and ONT. The base usually doesn’t do nearly as many red-eyes as SFO (February actually has none). Lots of west coast flying but you’ll get all over the country, except Hawaii of course. If you live in LA it would be a good base but as a commuter I’d recommend SFO 320 as it seems to be growing and it has been the junior seat system wide for some time. Seniority is a hell of a drug...I’m 50% and have been on property just 1.75 yrs.
How about LAX 737?
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: .

Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
How about LAX 737?

A wide variety of flying, including Hawaii (the guppy does the lions share of Hawaii flying). Pretty fast movement with regard to seniority. A fair amount of red eyes (about 50% of the flying is red eye on the 737 in lax).

The bus in lax does almost no red eyes, does most of its flying out of SNA, ONT and BUR, does more legs than the guppy. Goes to less desirable places like DSM. Your seniority will stagnate pretty bad on the bus in lax because lots of senior FOs hang there, and the fleet seems to be shrinking in LAX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by Pilot553 View Post
Major Shrinkage, I won’t be surprised if the company closes it down this year.

Most of the flying on the 320 in lax is from SNA, BUR, and ONT.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018
Position: Sitting

Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
How about LAX 737?
Movement for me was insanely fast. 4th month in base and already above the gline. January was an 18 day off month with but with several red eyes.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by UALfoLIFE View Post
Major Shrinkage, I won’t be surprised if the company closes it down this year.

Most of the flying on the 320 in lax is from SNA, BUR, and ONT.
We get a bunch of 319s this year. I doubt we will close any Airbus base, especially LAX.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:56 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2015

For a EWR new hire that will be commuting to EWR, is it better to bid the 756 vs the 737. Based on what I've read on here the EWR 320 is not very commuter friendly - typically only commutable on one end and there's an increasing number of 320 trips out of LGA.

I do like the trip mix on the 737 and I also understand seniority will increase far quicker on it vs on the 756. What's rsv like on the EWR 756 vs 737? What are the junior trips like on the 756?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:19 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Originally Posted by O2pilot View Post
We get a bunch of 319s this year. I doubt we will close any Airbus base, especially LAX.
Only 7 in 2019, lax 320 is half the size it was 3 years ago. Nobody I fly with in la is optimistic about the base staying open.