Notices
Military Military Aviation

Setting an availability date

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Default Setting an availability date

I asked this over at Baseops.net as well, but I'd like as much info as I can gather. I'll be retiring at 20 yrs from the AF in the summer of 2019. Right now my apps all say late February for availability, which I calculated by taking 20 days PTDY, my expected leave at the end of this FY, and the leave I'll accure up to my retirement date.

I know this is the most conservative method. I had a Delta buddy tell me to use that date, as they're sticklers, and if they offer you something earlier that you can't make, you'll be terminated. I also talked to a Southwest buddy who indicated they'll work with retirees on availability because they know all the admin stuff that must be done prior to a final out. He made it seem like after you're hired, they'll ask what works best with your situation.

It seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion on how to list your availability date. So, what's the opinion of this board? I don't have a target airline, plan on applying to all majors and FedEx/UPS.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Bizkit View Post
I asked this over at Baseops.net as well, but I'd like as much info as I can gather. I'll be retiring at 20 yrs from the AF in the summer of 2019. Right now my apps all say late February for availability, which I calculated by taking 20 days PTDY, my expected leave at the end of this FY, and the leave I'll accure up to my retirement date.

I know this is the most conservative method. I had a Delta buddy tell me to use that date, as they're sticklers, and if they offer you something earlier that you can't make, you'll be terminated. I also talked to a Southwest buddy who indicated they'll work with retirees on availability because they know all the admin stuff that must be done prior to a final out. He made it seem like after you're hired, they'll ask what works best with your situation.

It seems like everyone I talk to has a different opinion on how to list your availability date. So, what's the opinion of this board? I don't have a target airline, plan on applying to all majors and FedEx/UPS.
Availability date = Terminal leave start date.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

I would put a date that if they said "we need you to start class on this day" you could say "sounds great."

It seems like if you are competitive, most of the airlines are calling military pilots a couple of months prior to that for interviews.

I personally wouldn't play games, but that's up to you.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

I can confirm that with Delta, at least, you need to put an actual date you can start class. They will make you sign your AirlineApps.com printout affirming that it's true.

Don't play around with putting an early date, then move it. Just put an accurate date that you could actually attend a class.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:49 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013

There have been guys at UAL that got an email saying something along the lines of of;

“We’d like to interview you, please get in touch with us when you’re within 6 months of separation”.

So make sure to put a date on there that’ll work.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I can also put the question as "is there any situation/scenario in which your availability date should be listed prior to your terminal leave start date?"

The only scenario I can think of is MPF requiring you to out-process in person close to your actual retirement date.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I can also put the question as "is there any situation/scenario in which your availability date should be listed prior to your terminal leave start date?"

The only scenario I can think of is MPF requiring you to out-process in person close to your actual retirement date.
The day terminal leave/PTAD starts, you should be able to go to your admin center, pick up your DD-214, and say "have a nice life." That should be it. No need for anything after that. There might be a couple VA appointments or setting up a move, but none of those things are official duties that would mandate your presence.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:47 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Did you mean availability date listed AFTER your terminal leave start date?

I have heard that if you have a lot of leave, you may need to physically check out within X number of days. That was anecdotal from an Army buddy who was traveling the world on term leave and had swing back home to check out somewhere during the leave.

I would never list an availability date PRIOR to your leave start date... unless maybe you're really good buddies with your boss, but even then the most non-leave liberty you can get is 96 hours and it's not supposed to be in conjunction with leave.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:59 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Position: 737 FO
Default Training during PTDY vs Terminal Leave

Pile on:

I’ve heard you can’t start airline training if you’re still on PTDY/House hunting, but you can start if you’re on terminal leave.

What about other types of training while on PTDY? Corporate airlines, ATP-CTP, type rating, etc.? Are these Air Force restrictions or is this a company restriction?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by ViperGuy69 View Post
Pile on:

I’ve heard you can’t start airline training if you’re still on PTDY/House hunting, but you can start if you’re on terminal leave.

What about other types of training while on PTDY? Corporate airlines, ATP-CTP, type rating, etc.? Are these Air Force restrictions or is this a company restriction?

Thanks!
It's covered in TAPS, and you can find it a few places with some Google-Fu, but military members are NOT allowed to begin new employment while on PTDY. It doesn't matter where you're going, it's against the military rules.

Once you start terminal, though...have at it.