Question on Delta's Profit Sharing

Notices

Question on Delta's Profit Sharing

Old 02-12-2018, 02:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: Power top

Originally Posted by Viking busdvr View Post
That may be true, but please don’t ask me to give it up for a 1.5% raise DALPA....
I won't, I'm not a union negotiator.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2015

Originally Posted by Hank Kingsley View Post
I won't, I'm not a union negotiator.
My statement was directed at DALPA- not you.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by Dorn View Post
You find value and growth BUY it.
Easier said than done.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

You find value and growth BUY it.
Hmmm...that should be a slogan for a small conglomerate in Berkyville....errrr....OMA.

Ohhhh....riggghhht. 😊
Old 02-13-2018, 06:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Dreamniner

I agree with above comments but I would recommend not falling into the trap that the "set it and forget it" methedology is sound especially for those who are closer to needing their 401K funds. I think anyone who even occasionally pays attention to the market would have agreed this last few months pretty much everyone was saying this market has overreached. Pigs get slaughtered. don't get greedy. If you have made a nice return and see that your closer than farther to a pullback be smart,move your assets into cash or at least some of it. Drops like we just witnessed are buying opportunities see them as such. The number one rule is protect your assets. Im not suggesting to become a "trader" just that its important to participate in the management of your retirement.
Set it and forget it has historically been a better approach for most investors than trying to participate in the management of your retirement.

Several years ago Fidelity performed a survey to see which of their customers accounts performed best and what they had in common. The two best performing groups were dead people and those that forgot they owned an account at Fidelity.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by Hank Kingsley View Post
This would have been a bad week to put it in the market.
Actually, if your saving for retirement way down the road, this was a great week to put money in the market. Depends on your time perspective.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

I agree with above comments but I would recommend not falling into the trap that the "set it and forget it" methedology is sound especially for those who are closer to needing their 401K funds. I think anyone who even occasionally pays attention to the market would have agreed this last few months pretty much everyone was saying this market has overreached. Pigs get slaughtered. don't get greedy. If you have made a nice return and see that your closer than farther to a pullback be smart,move your assets into cash or at least some of it. Drops like we just witnessed are buying opportunities see them as such. The number one rule is protect your assets. Im not suggesting to become a "trader" just that its important to participate in the management of your retirement.
401K planning is like flying an approach. Way out it takes little to no inputs. As you approach the runway(retirement) you start making more corrections. As you cross the threshold hopefully you don't PIO yourself into a ditch!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: I got into this business so I wouldn't have to work.

Originally Posted by marcal View Post
401K planning is like flying an approach. Way out it takes little to no inputs. As you approach the runway(retirement) you start making more corrections. As you cross the threshold hopefully you don't PIO yourself into a ditch!
Call me weird, but I don't fly approaches like that. If I make the correct corrections early, I don't need to thrash as I get closer to the runway. Now if you're using this as an analogy, you must understand that it's pretty much impossible to make financial "corrections" early, given the moving of the financial "ILS" and "LOC" antennae as time goes on. I'm not a Saudi prince going through military pilot training...I'd rather not think of my investing like my approach work.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2014

Originally Posted by marcal View Post
Actually, if your saving for retirement way down the road, this was a great week to put money in the market. Depends on your time perspective.
Are you sure this week will still be considered great compared to all the rest of the weeks in the year ahead? I once bought a house at the "bottom" of a dip in the spring of 2007. Any week since then would have been much greater.

I agree with you... it does depend on your time perspective.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2015
Position: Power top

The union just put out an email with the history of profit sharing. Very nice.