Notices

Why I chose FedEX

Old 02-21-2018, 05:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by HIFLYR View Post
Nothing against military guys and gals, respect the service for us. However those 2500 hr RJ guys are working in the system we operate in everday and probably doing wing low cross wind landings to boot. Just Saying
Completely agree, 100%. I was one of them. All civilian here. However, 2500TT with zero 121 TPIC and sitting in class at UAL/DAL... I don’t know if I’m entirely onboard with that. My 2000 hours TPIC as an RJ captain and eventually LCA, was invaluable.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:34 PM
Thx Age 65

Joined APC: Jul 2005
Position: MD11CAP

Guys lose money after year two if they drop FDX trips for mil. As a guy who flies with many new guys, I'd say it's 60-40 mil-civ, with many already having a mixed back ground, i.e. FDX isn't their first rodeo. Pretty sure there is no boogeyman pulling the strings to keep mil guys out.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 767 Captain

Originally Posted by Rsv4lyfe View Post
However, 2500TT with zero 121 TPIC and sitting in class at UAL/DAL... I don’t know if I’m entirely onboard with that.
What, exactly, are you not onboard with?
Old 02-21-2018, 05:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
What does this even mean?
Many of the AOA Types have not done a winglow crosswond landing in many years. These are the types of crosswind landings we do. I did not realize the C17 does not also past a certain flap setting, untill I was working with a C17 guy on his crosswind landings.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: Captain

multiple threads ? venting ? axe to grind ?
Old 02-21-2018, 06:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

What, exactly, are you not onboard with?
I think having some TPIC, when there military or civilian is an invaluable experience. I’ve alwags thought people hired at the majors without it missed out on a great opportunity for professsional growth.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Rsv4lyfe View Post
I think having some TPIC, when there military or civilian is an invaluable experience. I’ve alwags thought people hired at the majors without it missed out on a great opportunity for professsional growth.
Your statement specified 121 TPIC. So, you made it sound like you had some issue with a mil guy with plenty of PIC time just not 121 PIC sitting in a UAL/DAL class.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by HIFLYR View Post
Many of the AOA Types have not done a winglow crosswond landing in many years. These are the types of crosswind landings we do. I did not realize the C17 does not also past a certain flap setting, untill I was working with a C17 guy on his crosswind landings.
I figured it was something like that. Ok, pardon me while a scoff a little. This "system" we all operate in now is hardly as challenging as you're making it out to be.

As far as cross-wind landings? We're talking basic flight control inputs. You really think it's valid to turn away someone with loads of experience because they lack recency in something as basic as a cross-wind landing? I seriously doubt the majority of guys coming here from whatever background are going to find a basic cross-wind landing that difficult. You want to give me an exception to the rule story about some "AOA Type" that had a tough time with cross-winds in a heavy transport category aircraft? Whatever. I'm sure we can find an RJ guy who struggled with that or something else. I know a few of the one's I've flown with recently could use some remedial radio training. But there's the 5% in every group.

Plenty of "value" in a mix of new hires from various prior walks of aviation life.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Your statement specified 121 TPIC. So, you made it sound like you had some issue with a mil guy with plenty of PIC time just not 121 PIC sitting in a UAL/DAL class.
Oh no. I meant a civilian with 2500TT and no TPIC.

Big difference. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: 777 Captain in Training

I figured it was something like that. Ok, pardon me while a scoff a little. This "system" we all operate in now is hardly as challenging as you're making it out to be.

As far as cross-wind landings? We're talking basic flight control inputs. You really think it's valid to turn away someone with loads of experience because they lack recency in something as basic as a cross-wind landing? I seriously doubt the majority of guys coming here from whatever background are going to find a basic cross-wind landing that difficult. You want to give me an exception to the rule story about some "AOA Type" that had a tough time with cross-winds in a heavy transport category aircraft? Whatever. I'm sure we can find an RJ guy who struggled with that or something else. I know a few of the one's I've flown with recently could use some remedial radio training. But there's the 5% in every group.

Plenty of "value" in a mix of new hires from various prior walks of aviation life.
I never said that the guy was using 2500 hr RJ guys being hired as a bad thing over a few mil guys. Think what ever you want. Just pointing out the RJ guys and gals are not second tier. When our job becomes air to air combat or low attitude support for ground troops then mil rules but that is not our job. I have trained both mil and civies who had problems with crosswind landings.