Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional > Air Wisconsin
Air Wisconsin: Not for Newbies >

Air Wisconsin: Not for Newbies

Notices
Air Wisconsin Regional Airline

Air Wisconsin: Not for Newbies

Old 03-05-2018, 05:20 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2018
Default Air Wisconsin: Not for Newbies

Any one new to the airline industry; consider starting somewhere else.

You will have some surprises in training, and may not be retained by the company :

- Significant failure rate . 6 -10 out of last few classes ( seems to be students new to 121, or those who have been away from flying for an extended period.)

- inconsistent training in sim.
- long delays between extra sim sessions.
- huge variation in level of difficulty on orals / checkrides.
- Inconsistent training on IOE. diff. level of expectations ,
different techniques taught, subjective standards.
- LCA's intentionally causing extra stress, because they feel like it.

The company has hired very experienced pilots in the past, and some LCA's expect you to fly at the level of an experienced 121 pilot.

If you accept an offer, be prepared.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Doesnt sound like the Air Wisconsin Ive been working at but ok.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by CessnaGril View Post

You will have some surprises in training, and may not be retained by the company :

- Significant failure rate . 6 -10 out of last few classes ( seems to be students new to 121, or those who have been away from flying for an extended period.)

The company has hired very experienced pilots in the past, and some LCA's expect you to fly at the level of an experienced 121 pilot.

As with most regionals, the failure rate is probably indicative of the quality/experience of applicants they’re receiving vs the actual training program changing. AWAC has always been known to have a high bar set for training.

Transitioning from props to jets, especially from piston props to jets, is a big step. 1500hrs doesn’t magically make everyone ready to be jet pilots, folks probably should do more research into airline training programs and chose an airline that will help them succeed in training for their first 121 gig instead of letting it be a dice roll. They can always leave down the road to an airline that’s a better fit after they’ve gained some experience.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2015

Your account is less than one day old and you immediately start a disparaging and inflammatory thread. Which leads me to believe you either:

1) Were paid to post this.

2) Were lazy during training and failed due to your own incompetence.

Either way your facts are misleading and your troll game is weak. Try asking Billyho for some troll tips (he’s pretty good).
Old 03-06-2018, 03:24 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by Grumbletrousers View Post
Your account is less than one day old and you immediately start a disparaging and inflammatory thread. Which leads me to believe you either:

1) Were paid to post this.

2) Were lazy during training and failed due to your own incompetence.

Either way your facts are misleading and your troll game is weak. Try asking Billyho for some troll tips (he’s pretty good).
Nothing disparaging about it. Wisconsin is a great place to fly. Just not good for your first 121. Newbies should know the facts.

The fact that the company sent someone into the sim who had not touched an airplane in 17 years, and never saw glass before says it all. This person only made it to sim 5.

They will hire as many people as they can, whether they think they can get through or not. Not sure why. On one hand the company needs to hire ,and grow. But in training, they have some folks that are used to days of hiring 5,000 hour pilots, that were already rock solid. These newbies are better off with a company that recruits non 121 pilots, like Endeavor, or Republic.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2016

I'd rather not fly with someone that doesn't know the limitations and can't perform to ATP standards in the sim. If you can't hack it that's no ones fault but your own. Grow up.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2009

Perhaps flying people safely from A to B isn't for everyone. Some people aren't cut out for it.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Originally Posted by StrykerB21 View Post
I'd rather not fly with someone that doesn't know the limitations and can't perform to ATP standards in the sim. If you can't hack it that's no ones fault but your own. Grow up.
There's a difference between not meeting ATP standards and getting jerked around because different LCA's and instructors have different methods/standards, which is the crux of the original poster's argument.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:52 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Originally Posted by StrykerB21 View Post
Agreed.

Not sure why Wisconsin has you do their strange stall recovery technique, exactly on altitude, exactly on speed. One senior LCA said, " if you see your trend vector going above 200KIAS as your are leveling out, go to F.I."
WTF! You just recovered from a stall, were in a low energy state, and he wants you to go back to F.I., so you can be low energy again? It is not supposed to be a precision manuever.

"6. Regains control of the airplane and recovers to maneuvering speed and flight path appropriate for the airplane's configuration without exceeding the airplane's limitations or losing excessive altitude consistent with the airplane's performance capabilities. This should include reducing pitch attitude as necessary, reducing bank angle and adding power (no particular order implied!) to recover to missed approach or cruise configuration, airspeed and altitude. Some altitude loss is expected during the recovery, but re-establishment of controlled flight is paramount.
Note: Evaluation criteria for a recovery from an approach to stall should not mandate a predetermined value for altitude loss and should not mandate maintaining altitude during recovery. Valid evaluation criteria must take into account the multitude of external (such as density altitude) and internal variables (ie. airplane mass, drag configuration and powerplant response time) which affect the recovery altitude.
7. Demonstrates smooth, positive control during entry, approach to a stall, and recovery."

https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...ia/atp_pts.pdf
Old 03-06-2018, 07:20 AM
Don't get weekends off

Joined APC: Sep 2015

Originally Posted by CessnaGril View Post

Last airplane I touch before going into sim was a C150, and yet I finish within the training footprints. I’m not saying that I passed it with ease, but I think it does depends on what you put in.