Military Military Aviation

Separating at 17.5 Years

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 08:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: 787 FO

Originally Posted by galaxy flyer View Post
...Be careful of Title 32 man-days in the ANG- don’t count toward 20...
Yes they do, otherwise half the ANG would never get there. I’m one of them on Title 32 orders. Realize it will take you at least twice as long to get to 20AD in ANG as a part timer. That’s 5 more years. Unless you’re thinking you’ll just come back to full time orders. Here’s the scenario, “Oh you want orders and you’re an O-5? (Very few of those per unit, called control grade). Sorry we’re saving those for our future commanders so we can give them the bonus to keep them.”
Dude you’re only 39🙄. 60 is too far away. Get your retirement! It’s worth it for Tricare alone.
Being the DO will help time fly! Heck maybe even CC in a year.
Good luck!
Old 03-12-2018, 09:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Thanks Salty Dog for the update. Yes, I was working off aged information, but the “6 in 8” rule used be a major factor for some.

FYI to the OP. I left the Reserves as an ART exactly 2½ years prior to a full civil service retirement. The way FERS is structured it didn’t cost me anything like losing an AD pension, but still was a factor. When you can’t hack it anymore, leave IMHO. I was in a great spot, on the O-6 list, 2-star sponsor and a Wing CC headed for the AFRC/DO job. Still, leaving worked out better, new career, new adventures, happier wife.

Life’s short, there are options, just be smart about it. Be ready for a job campaign, have a unit lined up, perhaps one with an ART opening you can fill.

GF
ART jobs don't hold a candle to airline compensation though. And the retirement is atrocious compared to AD/AGR. Let's be honest here. People ART up because of 'townie', not because of money. Sure, at the Wing and above, that mobility agreement starts becoming relevant. But for those who don't have the motivation to get saluted, it's really the homesteading the reason they take the paycut. And a paycut you take, especially as a new hire these days with that ghastly 4.4% vesting fee (from 0.8% for the old FERS timers, or a cool goose egg for the CSRS ladder pullers).

But do admit, it takes all kinds. Fat chicks need pushin' too. A 1% pension is better than no pension, or worse... an airline pension
Old 03-13-2018, 03:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by F15andMD11 View Post
Yes they do, otherwise half the ANG would never get there. I’m one of them on Title 32 orders. Realize it will take you at least twice as long to get to 20AD in ANG as a part timer. That’s 5 more years. Unless you’re thinking you’ll just come back to full time orders. Here’s the scenario, “Oh you want orders and you’re an O-5? (Very few of those per unit, called control grade). Sorry we’re saving those for our future commanders so we can give them the bonus to keep them.”
Dude you’re only 39��. 60 is too far away. Get your retirement! It’s worth it for Tricare alone.
Being the DO will help time fly! Heck maybe even CC in a year.
Good luck!
I think he meant a 20 year AFS retirement. IDT points (MUTAS, M days) aren't counted as days towards 20 years active federal service. I truly wish that they were. 7300 points equates to 20 active years. Greedy congressman don't want Reservists drawing retirements prior to turning age 60.

Last edited by Gundriver64; 03-13-2018 at 03:27 AM.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
ART jobs don't hold a candle to airline compensation though. And the retirement is atrocious compared to AD/AGR. Let's be honest here. People ART up because of 'townie', not because of money. Sure, at the Wing and above, that mobility agreement starts becoming relevant. But for those who don't have the motivation to get saluted, it's really the homesteading the reason they take the paycut. And a paycut you take, especially as a new hire these days with that ghastly 4.4% vesting fee (from 0.8% for the old FERS timers, or a cool goose egg for the CSRS ladder pullers).

But do admit, it takes all kinds. Fat chicks need pushin' too. A 1% pension is better than no pension, or worse... an airline pension
All true, but in 2005, there was no airline hiring like today. The ART career “path” has been a mess for years, but the morons in Robins still are in love with it. But, it did get into a fun gig that now pays a better pension than FERS and a fatter 401k than my TSP, both max’d out.

GF
Old 03-13-2018, 06:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: 787 FO

Originally Posted by Gundriver64 View Post
7300 points equates to 20 active years.
Isn't 7200 points?
Old 03-13-2018, 07:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Then, how come I couldn’t “buy back” Title 32 time for FERS? Yes, I forgot AGR troops are Title 32, but I wasn’t sure about other Title 32 time.

Never mind, it must be a FERS thing.

GF
Old 03-14-2018, 03:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA

Originally Posted by Castle Bravo View Post
Consider staying until 20, here's why:
If you were at 10 or even 15 yrs, I'd say punch, do AGR and apply to the Big 6. But at 17.5, you can stick it out for 2 more years, and then you'll have $50K+ per year for the rest of your life, for just fogging a mirror. My Tricare, for my whole family, is freakin' $47 a MONTH. You can't beat that anywhere. Airlines charge 4, 5, 600 a month for medical. Every month. My annual Tricare bill ain't $600...
13 months prior to retirement, drop your papers, set the earliest retirement date possible, and when you hit terminal leave, you can be in your airline class. I had a buddy that was flying for SWA while on Terminal leave! Once you have a retirement date set 12 mos out, the 365 boogey man can't get you.

It's a high performance problem to have; best of luck however it breaks for you.
^^^^^ This....

plus..... at just 2500 hours you really are in the very bottom of where most the legacy carriers are going to hire from ... not saying there arent exceptions... if you could bang out 500-700 more hours over the next two years.. then if you still cant get hired directly to a legacy spend a year or so at a regional or at an ACMI cargo outfit... then you will be in the sweet spot for your dream job.. AND have 40-50K coming in every year as a bonus.....
Old 03-14-2018, 03:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Then, how come I couldn’t “buy back” Title 32 time for FERS? Yes, I forgot AGR troops are Title 32, but I wasn’t sure about other Title 32 time.

Never mind, it must be a FERS thing.

GF
Reserve AGRs = Title 10
Guard AGRs = Title 32
Old 03-14-2018, 06:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2011
Position: Wind checker

Originally Posted by sherpster View Post
I'll get roasted for this but here goes. You are CRAZY to get out with less than 3 years to go. There I said it.
If he sleeps 12 hrs a day, it's only a year and a half.
Old 03-14-2018, 07:16 AM
Get's Every Day Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Retired

I'd finish the 20 and join the check-a-month club. As others have stated that, combined with Tricare is well worth it. There are plenty of younger hires already hired or to be hired that will always prevent you from being in the very high ranges of seniority no matter when you transition. Consider that in your decision. Good luck either way.