Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

PC-12 Ops...info request

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Default PC-12 Ops...info request

A local group of professionals approached me about a putting a PC-12 to work. I can read all the Pilatus literature but wanted to get real world experience with the airplane. Reliability. Average fuel burns/speed on various stage lengths/alts..or from a planning perspective, is there a ROT on fuel burn and speeds. Again, looking for some good wags. Not looking at a NG right now...so "legacy" birds.

Thanks!
Old 04-18-2018, 12:11 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Flying a desk

Originally Posted by Junglejett View Post
A local group of professionals approached me about a putting a PC-12 to work. I can read all the Pilatus literature but wanted to get real world experience with the airplane. Reliability. Average fuel burns/speed on various stage lengths/alts..or from a planning perspective, is there a ROT on fuel burn and speeds. Again, looking for some good wags. Not looking at a NG right now...so "legacy" birds.

Thanks!
Rule of thumb is 500lbs the first hour and 450 to 400 an hour after that depending on altitude. It trues out about 265 on a good day.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

I always just thumbed it at 400lbs an hour average, then add 600lbs on top of that for reserve. So for a 3 hour flight I'd put on 1800lbs and you're guaranteed to get it there with plenty reserve. Normally cruise at FL240 to FL260, at about 255-260TAS. It has been a while since I flew them regularly though, that's just what is on the top of my head.

They are amazing airplanes, you can do just about anything in them. About the only thing is you can get them aft CG if you really load them down. They are extremely reliable. The legacy models are great. My only beef with them is the generators. The main is capable of powering everything in flight, but if you lose it, the secondary is very limited in amperage output, so load shedding is a must. They fixed that on the NG's by putting two full size generators on them.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2017
Position: Flying a desk

Originally Posted by CharleyFox View Post
I always just thumbed it at 400lbs an hour average, then add 600lbs on top of that for reserve. So for a 3 hour flight I'd put on 1800lbs and you're guaranteed to get it there with plenty reserve. Normally cruise at FL240 to FL260, at about 255-260TAS. It has been a while since I flew them regularly though, that's just what is on the top of my head.

They are amazing airplanes, you can do just about anything in them. About the only thing is you can get them aft CG if you really load them down. They are extremely reliable. The legacy models are great. My only beef with them is the generators. The main is capable of powering everything in flight, but if you lose it, the secondary is very limited in amperage output, so load shedding is a must. They fixed that on the NG's by putting two full size generators on them.
There is also a STC to put a PT6A-67P in the /45 or /47 so when it’s time for an engine change you can replace the 67B so you can get duel geared 300A gens even in the legacy it’s such a nice thing to have!