Notices
Air Wisconsin Regional Airline

Commuting DCA MKE?

Old 05-21-2018, 11:15 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018
Default Commuting DCA MKE?

Hello, I am about to start class on the end of June, I am moving from San Juan, pr to Washington area. Anyone know how hard is the commuting to MKE in case I wont get Chiago ? Since Dulles is not an option?
Old 05-21-2018, 11:44 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by Jetmcquack1985 View Post
Hello, I am about to start class on the end of June, I am moving from San Juan, pr to Washington area. Anyone know how hard is the commuting to MKE in case I wont get Chiago ? Since Dulles is not an option?
Unless you HAVE to move to DC, I'd suggest moving to at least the Chicagoland area, as it'll be most likely a 2 leg commute to MKE, through ORD, PHL, CLT, ALT, MSP, etc. Will make it easier when/if you want/get based at ORD.

Both are also considerably cheaper places to lie in than DC.

ID
Old 05-21-2018, 11:49 AM
Sandy Low Lead

Joined APC: Feb 2016
Position: CRJ FO
Cool

WN has direct flights from BWI to MKE & back
Old 05-21-2018, 11:52 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Inside DEENA View Post
Unless you HAVE to move to DC, I'd suggest moving to at least the Chicagoland area, as it'll be most likely a 2 leg commute to MKE, through ORD, PHL, CLT, ALT, MSP, etc. Will make it easier when/if you want/get based at ORD.

Both are also considerably cheaper places to lie in than DC.

ID
I have to move to DC, my girlfriend just landed a job up there, and talking with a captain in AW I was pretty positive to get DC as base, but not anymore after I went through some of these Thread.
I was reading last night bout the typical 4 days round and it's pretty intense, because commuting you lose 6 days basically, one to get there the night before and one to get back the day after you finish your sequence, which is not ideal and most importantly is that the company doesn't offer you the hotel if you commute.
Old 05-21-2018, 11:57 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by eac3112 View Post
WN has direct flights from BWI to MKE & back
Really? I didn't know that and the good thing is that I'll be living 40 minutes from BWI, and the 2 Washington airports, so basically you saved my day! lol
Old 05-21-2018, 12:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2007

I have to move to DC, my girlfriend just landed a job up there, and talking with a captain in AW I was pretty positive to get DC as base, but not anymore after I went through some of these Thread.
I was reading last night bout the typical 4 days round and it's pretty intense, because commuting you lose 6 days basically, one to get there the night before and one to get back the day after you finish your sequence, which is not ideal and most importantly is that the company doesn't offer you the hotel if you commute.
It's good that Southwest has some BWI-MKE flights, that'll make it easier for sure.

While you are on reserve, you'll be lucky to make it home for 1 full day/wk. Unless you do a crashpad, you are looking at 2 hotels/wk, which realistically will be $150/wk +. It's going to be the same for quite awhile, even once you have line-holding status. Until staffing improves (which is doubtful for a long time, if ever), just be ready for it.

ID
Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Inside DEENA View Post
It's good that Southwest has some BWI-MKE flights, that'll make it easier for sure.

While you are on reserve, you'll be lucky to make it home for 1 full day/wk. Unless you do a crashpad, you are looking at 2 hotels/wk, which realistically will be $150/wk +. It's going to be the same for quite awhile, even once you have line-holding status. Until staffing improves (which is doubtful for a long time, if ever), just be ready for it.

ID
Yeah I checked the flights and southwest is the only one doing it. I was reviewing what AW has on the website about the commuting part and apparently they don't reimburse anything. I was looking for a crash pad too, just in case.. that's a bit of a urn down but you can't have everything I guess and I'm just preparing myself for the worse that can happen, just in case.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:53 PM
Line Holder

Did anyone tell you PSA has a DCA base?
Great Airline also...means you will have a life on your days off.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:29 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by ZenoAir View Post
Did anyone tell you PSA has a DCA base?
Great Airline also...means you will have a life on your days off.
I found it out recently but at the beginning I didn't look for PSA since Air Wisconsin, Gojet and Transtate came to PR and they gave me a CJO on the spot taking finger prints and so on. I just decided to continue with AW because of the benefits and the bonuses. Transtate is closing DC anyways.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2011
Position: If I tell you, I'd have to kill you

I found it out recently but at the beginning I didn't look for PSA since Air Wisconsin, Gojet and Transtate came to PR and they gave me a CJO on the spot taking finger prints and so on. I just decided to continue with AW because of the benefits and the bonuses. Transtate is closing DC anyways.

Welcome aboard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk