Notices

TDY Pros/Cons

Old 05-28-2018, 12:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Default TDY Pros/Cons

As the title reads, what are the pros & cons to doing a TDY assignment? It seems like a decent deal for commuters. Do TDY assignments generally go senior?
Old 05-28-2018, 02:10 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

It can be a good deal, the company A1’s you to the TDY bass and puts you in a hotel. The seniority part varies from each TDY base and varies each time of the year. The last TDY I saw for a NB was to MIA from LGA. I think the most junior TDY Pilot was 14800-ish. Now if there’s a TDY to DFW from LGA, I bet those can go senior. I don’t recall however
Old 05-28-2018, 02:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by OVBIII View Post
It can be a good deal, the company A1’s you to the TDY base and puts you in a hotel. The seniority part varies from each TDY base and varies each time of the year. The last TDY I saw for a NB was to MIA from LGA. I think the most junior TDY Pilot was 14800-ish. Now if there’s a TDY to DFW from LGA, I bet those can go senior. I don’t recall however
I misspelled base. I put bass first. Maybe I need to go fishing.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014

I don’t understand per diem for TDY. Does it run continuously-or stop each time you go home?
Old 05-28-2018, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
I don’t understand per diem for TDY. Does it run continuously-or stop each time you go home?
From what I’ve read, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, it runs continuously as long as you don’t positive space home. If you non-rev home on your days off I believe it continues.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by OVBIII View Post
I misspelled base. I put bass first. Maybe I need to go fishing.
You can never do too much fishing.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:46 PM
Goin Streakin!

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: Hogless

Originally Posted by Rawhide16 View Post
From what I’ve read, and someone please correct me if I’m wrong, it runs continuously as long as you don’t positive space home. If you non-rev home on your days off I believe it continues.
Heard as long as you don’t A12 to your original base it won’t stop. Rumor mill has never been wrong before, right?
Old 05-29-2018, 02:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by jcountry View Post
Check out the following APA Compass Project document on TDY put together put the Compass Project team
https://www.alliedpilots.org/LinkCli...%3d&portalid=0

JCBA 7.B.2:
Pilots on temporary assignment, special duty, or training shall be reimbursed for meals and incidentals at the below listed rates per hour, commencing with the first trip sequence originating or duty period commencing after the effective date of the rate increase: (prorated to the nearest minute) from the departure time of the trip which takes them to their assignment and continues until the arrival time at their base at the termination of the assignment. In the event a pilot returns to base during the course of a temporary assignment, special duty or training, during scheduled duty-free periods, such time spent at the base shall not be compensable under this provision
So per the JCBA, your per diem will stop any time you travel back to your domicile (not necessarily your home airport). However, from talking to pay comp to put together the document I linked above, they will only stop your per diem if you A12 (doesn't track you for going D2).

And all that said, per diem works out to only $55.20 a day.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

It can be a good deal. Perhaps an easier commute with higher travel pass to from work. Take bid into a base you will be more senior at thus enjoying more time off and better trips. Bring family with you for the month. Free hotel stay in nice city.

It can be bad. Covering multiple airports in NYC is tough. Yes the company provides the transportation but setting it up each time you commute in is a pain in the rear end. Airport hotels in NYC are not very nice. I asked for a better hotel and it did not happen. In DFW they were more accommodating.

Best one I have done was STL. Great crews. Worst was NYC. First and only miss trip in my career. Knock on wood. Per diem is a minimal reason if you ask me.