Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Mid Life Career Question

Old 05-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014
Default Mid Life Career Question

I seem to always come back to this forum once a year to ask the same question but this time I will ask it differently.

What would it take a current pilot at one of the majors to leave the career. Assume you have a good marriage with children.

I constantly come back to wanting to come back into this career however my first attempt was in my early 20's with two years a regional (no family at the time), since left and been part of a successful company growth and compensated well. Now almost 40, wife and 4 kids thinking of a mid career change back in. Everyone of my friends still flying always tell me not to come back but never give me a good enough reason, especially now with the major movement unlike when I first started.

So really interested in current pilots at major airlines what it would take for them to take a job outside of aviation. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-29-2018, 11:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

many would say to take that 'good compensation' and buy yourself an airplane to fly around and share aviation with your family. Go places, enjoy a vacation, visit out-of-the-way places, get your children interested in aviation, etc....

Many will say nothing kills the love for something as quickly as making it a job!

Good luck with whichever path you chose.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Antney View Post
I seem to always come back to this forum once a year to ask the same question but this time I will ask it differently.

What would it take a current pilot at one of the majors to leave the career. Assume you have a good marriage with children.

I constantly come back to wanting to come back into this career however my first attempt was in my early 20's with two years a regional (no family at the time), since left and been part of a successful company growth and compensated well. Now almost 40, wife and 4 kids thinking of a mid career change back in. Everyone of my friends still flying always tell me not to come back but never give me a good enough reason, especially now with the major movement unlike when I first started.

So really interested in current pilots at major airlines what it would take for them to take a job outside of aviation. Thanks in advance!
Kinda sorta in the same boat, but I never made it to the regional level. First cousin is at Atlas, brother in law is at JetBlue and both are captains so I have seen the life they live.

I was on the same path quite a few years ago until I got lucky and got in with a good company as a project manager and things have gone well. But I couldn't help but wonder 'what if' I would have continued flying? I have seriously considered getting back into it, but at the cost of an instructor and airplane today I would be crazy.

A few weeks ago solidified why I'm glad things have worked out the way they have. My cousin has a daughter who is a pole vaulter and this is her senior year in high school. Over her junior and senior year she set 5 school and area records and won a state championship this year. You know what? My cousin missed every event. Never saw her break a record, did not see her win state. I cannot speak for these 2 men, maybe this wish they were home more, maybe they're happy they get to get out of the house.

To me that's not worth it. I'm able to coach my sons baseball team, I hand delivered flowers to my daughter after her ballet performance last week, and I come home to an awesome wife every night.

Airlines were my goal and I loved the journey....when I was single. My family is now my priority. We are considering purchasing a plane in the future, but time will tell.

You have to weigh your own priorities in life. What's important to you and how will it affect your family? Good luck in your decision.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Antney View Post

$300K/year, work from home four hours/day four days/week, max 401k contribution, free global travel, six weeks off per year.

Serious answer. I like what I do. I would be willing to give it up and spend more time with family and pursue other interests if I could keep the same compensation, benefits, and QOL. But if I'm going to pull the typical 60-hour weeks, on the leash/laptop half the night and Saturday too, I'll just stick with the jet thank you.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:19 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by flybub View Post
A few weeks ago solidified why I'm glad things have worked out the way they have. My cousin has a daughter who is a pole vaulter and this is her senior year in high school. Over her junior and senior year she set 5 school and area records and won a state championship this year. You know what? My cousin missed every event. Never saw her break a record, did not see her win state. I cannot speak for these 2 men, maybe this wish they were home more, maybe they're happy they get to get out of the house.

Unless he had really bad luck, he could have attended a lot of that kind of stuff if it was a priority to HIM... vice 30 hour layovers in Maui or whatever.

Even very junior, I rarely miss important family things, other than major holidays, which there's no way to avoid. But a sporting event on some random Tues night? Yeah you can bid or trade around stuff like that if it's a priority to you. Worst case you get at least a couple freebie sick calls per year...
Old 05-29-2018, 01:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Unless he had really bad luck, he could have attended a lot of that kind of stuff if it was a priority to HIM... vice 30 hour layovers in Maui or whatever.

Even very junior, I rarely miss important family things, other than major holidays, which there's no way to avoid. But a sporting event on some random Tues night? Yeah you can bid or trade around stuff like that if it's a priority to you.
Interesting. Did not realize that was possible. Thanks for clearing up a misconception I had.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: 6th place

400k/yr. Maxed out company contribution to 401k. 3% annual raise. 5 weeks vacation. Not tied to email/phone.

Anything less would be a pay cut from a mainline captain position for more work.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by mainlineAF View Post
400k/yr. Maxed out company contribution to 401k. 3% annual raise. 5 weeks vacation. Not tied to email/phone.

Anything less would be a pay cut from a mainline captain position for more work.
Health permitting you’re going to do much better than that. I’d recommend staying.

Every outside job that I’ve seen is more work. Especially at these income levels.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:44 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2014

When at a major can you pull in 400K a year with out working on your days off? Just curious, assume that would be when your a captain.

My dilemma is I know that as a captain you can pull 400K but the question is when? If I left my current financial situation to the time to be there is a long time, I do have over 1,000 hours 121 time but that's from 12 years ago, then theirs the chance of not getting on at a major.

Right now I make 200K, have a company car for myself and my wife, all gas and food (going out) is paid through the year, easily another 10K each for those items. I have a private golf club membership paid for as well. This doesn't include bonuses which I cant count on or factor in to yearly pay.

Yes I am tied to my phone 7 days a week with emails, I do have a staff that will handle most of my issues but need to make sure those issues are handled so need to be in the loop at all times, never a break from it. I however have total flexibility with my schedule, can come and go as I please as long as I perform. Able to drive and pick up my kids from school, attend plays and coach all their sporting teams.

Its tempting to come back, just don't know if the sacrifice is worth it for my family, hate this position but I feel this way every year.
Old 05-29-2018, 01:51 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Your position is different than ours. We're already there.

"Would I pay the dues all over again?" is a very different question than "Would I give it all up now to go work in an office for less fun, money and time off?"

But frankly your POTENTIAL situation is better than mine, because you'll likely have far more opportunity due to industry circumstances.

DAL WB CA's (who work their arses off) are pushing close to one million per year right now. You can make $300k+ without breaking a sweat as a CA at any big-six/legacy. There's more to our compensation than flat hourly rate. How long to CA? 5-7 years. FO pay is $200k+ after a few years.