Notices

Widebody vs 757 Capt

Old 05-31-2018, 08:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2014
Default Widebody vs 757 Capt

My dad is a 2001 hire and recently upgraded to 767 Capt after years on the 757. He is hating the schedule and considering going back to the 757 where he is 25% seniority (top 25%) but he will take a 30k/yr or so pay cut. He’s 74% on the 767 and with such low seniority it has been difficult but the pay is great.

Are there any other options out there? He tends to really enjoy the weekend layovers in NY state where he can get paid 6hr guarantee to hunt and fish. He’s a MEM based commuter and lives where he can catch a guaranteed nightly FedEx flight to MEM.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Lots of nice weekend layovers in the NE... but they're all pure lines with hub turns before/after the weekend. I think Stewart is a pure weekend. Boise has a great weekend only line. I impinge the 767 bid pack will get better, but it's also getting more senior.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: MD-11 Captain

Everyone has their own opinion of how to handle this situation.

In my case I was very happy being a senior MD-11 f/o. Upgrading to 727 Captain wouldn't have paid very much more and I was getting really good trips. I could have held ANC MD-11 Captain but that seemed almost impossible from the East Coast (and I wanted to keep my son in one of the best public school systems in the country).

With my senior f/o trips I needed a crashpad so seldom that it was easier to just get a hotel for training.

So ... I waited as long as it took to hold MEM MD-11 Captain at 100. I got a crashpad and sat on Reserve for several years (Age 65 happened about the same time, bad deal for me and almost everybody else). At least I was able to hold the daytime Reserve. I had a reliable airport car and life was good.

You don't mention if "your dad" lives in Memphis? Being junior on any airplanes seems like it would be easier if you live in domicile. You also don't mention if "your dad" needs the money or how close he is to retirement (high 5 considerations)?

Personally I always bid for quality of life considerations but I understand that's not everyones priority.

There is no "right" decision. I wish him luck, this job would s*ck if you didn't enjoy going to work ...

Old 05-31-2018, 09:21 AM
Fill'er Up Again

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Scarebus Captain

Originally Posted by rvfanatic View Post
My dad is a 2001 hire and recently upgraded to 767 Capt after years on the 757. He is hating the schedule and considering going back to the 757 where he is 25% seniority (top 25%) but he will take a 30k/yr or so pay cut. He’s 74% on the 767 and with such low seniority it has been difficult but the pay is great.

Are there any other options out there? He tends to really enjoy the weekend layovers in NY state where he can get paid 6hr guarantee to hunt and fish. He’s a MEM based commuter and lives where he can catch a guaranteed nightly FedEx flight to MEM.
Doesn’t matter. I believe with the new contract, he is seat locked.
Old 05-31-2018, 09:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by MaydayMark View Post
Everyone has their own opinion of how to handle this situation.

In my case I was very happy being a senior MD-11 f/o. Upgrading to 727 Captain wouldn't have paid very much more and I was getting really good trips. I could have held ANC MD-11 Captain but that seemed almost impossible from the East Coast (and I wanted to keep my son in one of the best public school systems in the country).

With my senior f/o trips I needed a crashpad so seldom that it was easier to just get a hotel for training.

So ... I waited as long as it took to hold MEM MD-11 Captain at 100. I got a crashpad and sat on Reserve for several years (Age 65 happened about the same time, bad deal for me and almost everybody else). At least I was able to hold the daytime Reserve. I had a reliable airport car and life was good.

You don't mention if "your dad" lives in Memphis? Being junior on any airplanes seems like it would be easier if you live in domicile. You also don't mention if "your dad" needs the money or how close he is to retirement (high 5 considerations)?

Personally I always bid for quality of life considerations but I understand that's not everyones priority.

There is no "right" decision. I wish him luck, this job would s*ck if you didn't enjoy going to work ...
Thanks for your advice! I assure you it is “my dad” and not me. Although I am somewhat envious. He has been talking about retiring in 4 years at age 60 as he is pretty miserable commuting to MEM for pretty rough trips all over the US usually during the middle of the night. I agree that he should make a move to preserve QOL and potentially enjoy working more and be able to go past age 60 if he wants to. 777 FO seems nice but the money there’s no way to make 757 Capt pay on that equipment is there?

From seeing his situation, I’m convinced there has to be a better way such as living in base.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:15 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: https://t.me/pump_upp

living in domicile, 74% on the 767 sounds pretty good to me.

2001 hire could have easily held widebody capt on any airframe. Chasing a specific city for weekend layovers sounds like a pretty narrow target for QOL. Especially with the company changing gauge every couple of months.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:29 AM
Permanent Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2007

with all due respect, can't "your Dad" figure this out himself, since he has been at FedEx since 2001? Even if he does not know about this website, I'm sure he can ask co-workers. Maybe even those that have faced a similar situation
Old 05-31-2018, 11:59 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013

Originally Posted by navigatro View Post
with all due respect, can't "your Dad" figure this out himself, since he has been at FedEx since 2001? Even if he does not know about this website, I'm sure he can ask co-workers. Maybe even those that have faced a similar situation
Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to help a loved one solve a problem. Sometimes we can see it clearer than they can. I would love it if my kids were researching to try to help improve my life.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by PurpleBoiler View Post
living in domicile, 74% on the 767 sounds pretty good to me.

2001 hire could have easily held widebody capt on any airframe. Chasing a specific city for weekend layovers sounds like a pretty narrow target for QOL. Especially with the company changing gauge every couple of months.
He commutes since they have nightly FedEx jet from where he lives in the southeast to MEM.
Old 05-31-2018, 12:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by busdriver12 View Post
Absolutely nothing wrong with trying to help a loved one solve a problem. Sometimes we can see it clearer than they can. I would love it if my kids were researching to try to help improve my life.
It’s ok, didn’t you see? He said “with all due respect”. He’s discussed this in depth and he has pretty much arrived at the 757 conclusion. I’m thinking there has to be a better way. I’d also like to see him not have to take the pay cut, get the QOL, and still retire at 60.

I’m very interested in the company so the entire discussion fascinates me and I like seeing my dad happy.