Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major > Southwest
Jumpseating with a guitar >

Jumpseating with a guitar

Notices

Jumpseating with a guitar

Old 06-17-2018, 04:12 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Default Jumpseating with a guitar

I'd like to bring my telecaster with me next weekend on a SWA flight which I hope to J/S on. Just curious as to how that works?

1) Can I bring it through KCM no issues?
2) Is there space to store it on the FD?
3) If there is no overhead space what happens, does it go in the belly (least desirable)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:46 PM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Originally Posted by WhisperJet View Post
I'd like to bring my telecaster with me next weekend on a SWA flight which I hope to J/S on. Just curious as to how that works?

1) Can I bring it through KCM no issues?
2) Is there space to store it on the FD?
3) If there is no overhead space what happens, does it go in the belly (least desirable)

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
I’m not at SWA, but I have done it.
1) KCM no problem at all.
2) No space on a 737 for it (unless crew sorta bends rules and keeps it behind a pilot seat unsecured).
3) No, just pop it in an overhead bin or the coat closet. No problem whatsoever. As a J/S you can pre-board, just politely ask the gate agent and inform them you’d like to speak with the crew. They are typically friendly and obliging. Just be thankful and nice.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:21 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by PotatoChip View Post
I’m not at SWA, but I have done it.
1) KCM no problem at all.
2) No space on a 737 for it (unless crew sorta bends rules and keeps it behind a pilot seat unsecured).
3) No, just pop it in an overhead bin or the coat closet. No problem whatsoever. As a J/S you can pre-board, just politely ask the gate agent and inform them you’d like to speak with the crew. They are typically friendly and obliging. Just be thankful and nice.

yup put in overhead, do not ask crew to bend rules for you. thanks
Old 06-18-2018, 12:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Chances are both pilots (the FO will be playing his in the jetbridge during boarding) will also have guitars so factor that in...

Last edited by IAHB756; 06-18-2018 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 06:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

All I can think of is this...

Old 06-18-2018, 08:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2014

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Holy s$&! Greatest post of all time!! Well played sir!!
Old 06-22-2018, 05:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: A320 Right Seat

Not SWA but I bring my Yamaha Silent acoustic on the road all the time. KCM is no issue at all. If folks can bring a cello then my guitar won't be an issue.

I don't see the issue with asking the crew to keep it on the flight deck, I always ask the crew to do just that. Of course I'm usually on company metal so that might make a difference with company rules nd such. I'm sure if you were JSing and sitting up front they'd allow you to stick your suitcase up there so if there's room I see no difference.

Otherwise stick it in the overhead and ask the FAs to help you out if it gets full.

Where are you putting the amp?
Old 06-22-2018, 08:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by 402DRVR View Post
Not SWA but I bring my Yamaha Silent acoustic on the road all the time. KCM is no issue at all. If folks can bring a cello then my guitar won't be an issue.

I don't see the issue with asking the crew to keep it on the flight deck, I always ask the crew to do just that. Of course I'm usually on company metal so that might make a difference with company rules nd such. I'm sure if you were JSing and sitting up front they'd allow you to stick your suitcase up there so if there's room I see no difference.

Otherwise stick it in the overhead and ask the FAs to help you out if it gets full.

Where are you putting the amp?
Not bringing an amp. Just my mac w/ garage band and my interface.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018
Position: 737 LEFT SEAT

Just find whatever airline it was that the flight crew had a hot plate or tea pot or whatever running in the cockpit. They won't mind! You could all play music and smoke a hog or something if the flight is long enough.

I suggest taking up the ukulele.