Notices
SkyWest Regional Airline

ORD for a commuter

Old 07-27-2018, 10:05 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2018
Default ORD for a commuter

I have the CJO with OO and was given the 175. Hoping for ORD fairly quickly out of training but I know LGA has been the case for most. After reserve, how commutable will the trips out of ORD be on the 175 while still being fairly junior? I'm looking at a 30 min drive to my local airport with 4 flights a day on OO birds (200).

Also considering RAH, however that would be a 2 hour drive to a commute until my wife and I can move (family circumstances). Obviously their QOL is better with trip efficiency, no junior manning, and I hear their commuter clause adds to that as well, but since OO doesn't have a commuter clause does really cause issues for people?
Old 07-27-2018, 04:11 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2016

I’ve been commuting SEA-ORD for 3 months with no issues. Most of my trips are commutable on both ends.
Old 07-28-2018, 01:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

I’m pretty junior and next month all my trips are commutable sans one on the back end.
Old 07-29-2018, 05:19 AM
On Reserve

Have either of you ever missed the commute? What’s the process for that without a commute clause? Could either one of you pm me a picture or description of your trips with start and end times and legs a day etc?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: I pilot

If you can’t make the commute, you just call the company. They assign your trip to a reserve. If you can rejoin the trip then you get back on the trip and they charge you user time for the part that you missed. User time is basically sick time. If a line holder picks up your trip then you can’t rejoin the trip. If you call out with less than a 2 hour notice for your trip, then they could put a note on your schedule. Too many call outs and you will get called in to the chief pilot’s office.
Old 07-29-2018, 06:42 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

I haven’t missed a commute but like the previous poster said we don’t have a policy so it’s pretty flexible. As long as your smart about it ie give yourself more than one option, if there’s a snowstorm headed for ORD go in the night before, etc....you shouldn’t have any issues.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:30 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2016

Sent you a PM
Old 07-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I missed a commute, gave myself 4 flight options and when I didn’t think it was going to work I called the company. Guess how that turned out?? I’m no longer at SkyWest and am way better off at another regional anyway. It was a blessing in disguise to be honest. I’m not saying don’t go to SkyWest, but I’m not saying you will never sweat a commute there either. If there is nothing in black and white to cover your butt, “flexibility” is at the companies discretion. Let’s say you were sick twice in one month, then missed a commute shortly after. The company will gun for ya and there isn’t much you can do about it besides bring your own KY bottle. Other airlines have bases in ORD, higher pay and this excellent thing called union protection which includes contracts that have commuter clauses and some even have hotel coverage for commuters. Choose wisely is all I’m saying..

Now I should be leaving before Kool-Aid central shows up saying I was just a bad egg and not to listen to me because I don’t tell the whole story. Which I have told, in detail.

Last edited by Fixnem2Flyinem; 07-29-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2018, 02:06 PM
On Reserve

When you called in sick on probation, did they require a doctors note right away? Before being fired did they talk To you with a warning?
Old 07-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by 12345678 View Post
When you called in sick on probation, did they require a doctors note right away? Before being fired did they talk To you with a warning?
They didn’t require a doctors note for the sick calls initially. It wasn’t until I talked to my CP that any sick calls I had came up along with the missed commute. At that point they asked if there were any doctors notes. That part was on me, I didn’t go see the doctor when I got sick from my crash pad nor when I rolled my ankle pretty bad working out. I did not get warned previously, I never even talked with my CP or any supervisor for that matter previous to the meeting that resulted in my departure. It really felt like a 0-10 escalation and I had a chance of explaining myself but their minds were already made up. My CP said and I quote... “After talking with you, you seem like an honest person but my hands are tied”. That was because his boss wanted me to go, his boss who was the VP of Flight Ops. I was also told “I can’t tell you not to call in sick, but back when I was on probation I’d have to be on my deathbed to call in sick”. I thought that was interesting to say when there is clearly a regulation against pilots flying a plane when not fit to do so, a regulation that can be used against you if you in fact work while not fit and anything happens that requires investigation...

Last edited by Fixnem2Flyinem; 07-29-2018 at 02:44 PM.