Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

Omni, Atlas, or Kalitta ?

Old 12-29-2018, 07:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2016

Originally Posted by Iamthewalrus View Post
Great info ya’ll! Thank you so much!

Regional guy here that’s burned out of Midwest overnights and really just needs a change of pace. Got into this job to see the world, not just North Dakota. Been chatting with some alumni from my current airline that are at Atlas that say I would love the schedule, destinations and lifestyle.

Just wanted to pick y’alls brains on the right fit. Currently living in LA and understand all three (kalitta, Omni and Atlas) are home based, but is any one of the three better for quality of life out of LA?

I have read enough of the forums to know better then to ask a typical schedule. But I’m curious if being this far west will doom me to exclusively Asia and Oceania flying. I would prefer to fly to places that I would never consider going to on vacation but from conversations I’ve had it seems most those locations launch from the east coast.

Lastly I plan on renting cars, kayaks, sailboats, motorcycles and getting out on the overnights. Of the three, which would be more conducive to an adventurous lifestyle?

Hope these questions stir some interesting debate! I’ve already poured through the monetary pros and cons and know my order in preference with all things being equal. Just looking for which one will lead to the best bar stories later in life.

Happy New Year!
My friends at Atlas are not happy. The ones at Atlas who are on the 767 are miserable. Don’t know much about Omni but didn’t AtSG or someone just buy them? Things are going really well at K4, everyone seems to be happy with the money and growth.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Heavy

Originally Posted by Checkers21 View Post
My friends at Atlas are not happy. The ones at Atlas who are on the 767 are miserable. Don’t know much about Omni but didn’t AtSG or someone just buy them? Things are going really well at K4, everyone seems to be happy with the money and growth.
Can’t speak for the other two places but I have always enjoyed my time at K4, even before our new contract. Never had a problem with anyone in management, training, or crew members. Sometimes I get a little irritated by the schedule and bid packets but other than that, it’s a great company.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:02 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Checkers21 View Post
Plenty of happy people at Atlas/Southern. Plenty of unhappy too, that’s what happens with this large of a pilot group. YMMV. Hard to get the real scoop on anything here when the 1% shout so loudly over the top of more reasonable points of view.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:32 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

Originally Posted by Cujo665 View Post
Doesn’t matter, they’ll fly you to the plane from wherever you live. I’ve seen them fly guys that live in Vegas to Boston to do a contract airline charter, and at the same time fly a guy from Massachusetts to Vegas to go fill in on a Hawaii run.

Lots more time off at the RON’s with Omni. Average guy flys 25-45 hours a month and takes the 64 guarantee. The rest of the time is in various cities on short or long call reserve. Plenty of time to go sightseeing. You’ll make more money at Kalitta, but will fly 2-3 times the hours monthly.
I had Omni fly me from LAS to Kuwait to start a trip. You'll fly 300-400 hours a year at Omni but that includes 3rd and 4th pilot time.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by Iamthewalrus View Post
Lastly I plan on renting cars, kayaks, sailboats, motorcycles and getting out on the overnights. Of the three, which would be more conducive to an adventurous lifestyle?
As far as the K4 74 goes, opportunities for the type of adventures you’re interested in will appear every now and then, but realistically you will spend much of your downtime tired and jet lagged. Luckily you will have plenty of adventure time during your two week breaks between trips.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:38 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by Ghost Pilot View Post
As far as the K4 74 goes, opportunities for the type of adventures you’re interested in will appear every now and then, but realistically you will spend much of your downtime tired and jet lagged. Luckily you will have plenty of adventure time during your two week breaks between trips.
I just literally slept 18 hours during my 1 in 7.