Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Bachelor's vs. Associate's Program >

Bachelor's vs. Associate's Program

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Bachelor's vs. Associate's Program

Old 08-19-2018, 02:29 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Bachelor's vs. Associate's Program

I have been looking at different pathways to get my degree and flight training done. I have narrowed it down to a couple of options. All of the options include an aviation degree. I am currently a senior in high school and I will just be turning 17 by the time I graduate (graduating a year early). My goal is to be at the airlines when I am 21.

My first choice is Cochise College, they offer an associates degree in aviation and it is very affordable. I would finish the program in 2 years with all my ratings. After completing the program I will have two years until I am able to get a job at a regional and that will leave me plenty of time to instruct. This path seems to be perfect with the exception of it not offering a 4 year degree. So, I would have to transfer to UVU online to finish my degree. But, I don't know if I want to be working on my degree when I am at the airlines and/or instructing.

The two other schools I am considering offer four year aviation degrees. The schools are Utah Valley University (in person program) or Central Washington University. The benefit to each is they offer me a bachelor's degree which I will need for the majors. Yet, they are both about twice the cost as the 2 year degree option. They will each take 4 years plus 1 year of instructing to get to the airlines. Putting me at 22 years old, year 2024. This is a year longer than the 2 year degree plan. It may seem like just a year, but from looking at all the majors retirement numbers I want to get the most out of the hiring boom.

I also considered ASU and UND, but ASU is overpriced and said to be subpar and UND is in the not so great state of North Dakota.

Thanks for your help
Old 08-19-2018, 07:12 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2017

I would recommend getting your 4 year degree done and get it off the table before getting to the airlines. The degree will open more doors for you in case the pilot gig does not work out, and it is worth the year delay in security for your future self.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: EMB-505 CA

I am a little biased, but I would not recommend Central Washington University. They have a good sales and marketing team, I’ll stop there. If you’re looking at Washington checkout Big Bend Community College Commercial Pilot Program. It’s a 2 year program and you will also earn your associates degree at the same time. I’m currently a 2nd year student working on my commercial. Hence, why I am biased. It’s a solid program that has a solid reputation among the airlines for turning out safe proficient pilots. It’s considerably less than CWU and the program is limited in size to benefit you not the schools bottom line. Everyone in the program is there to help and support you and they want you to succeed. I was considering many of the same schools you are, but a friend/mentor Alaska captain sent me to Big Bend and he graduated from CWU! A bachelor degree is a solid investment to fall back on, but many of the majors have dropped the four year requirement so really an associates degree is all you really must have. I will be getting my bachelors as a backup plan and just in case I do get an interview with a major I have an advantage over the other guys who only have their associates degree.

Last edited by BGBMX911; 08-19-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by futurepilot11 View Post
The schools are Utah Valley University

Thanks for your help
Can you tell me about UVU online. I’m 27, and almost done with my commercial license. I am realizing that I will need a degree to go to any of the majors. so i’m looking at doing UVU Online as in continue my flight training and while I am in the regionals.
Old 08-20-2018, 06:36 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by Macchi30 View Post
Can you tell me about UVU online. I’m 27, and almost done with my commercial license. I am realizing that I will need a degree to go to any of the majors. so i’m looking at doing UVU Online as in continue my flight training and while I am in the regionals.
I've researched UVU online as I would be transferring there if I did an associates degree program. But, they transfer 30 credits for all your faa ratings and an additional 10 credits for the atp-ctp. UVU online seems to be the most popular out there for pilots as they transfer a lot of credits and are relatively inexpensive. That's all I really know about it.
Old 08-21-2018, 01:32 AM
New Hire

Originally Posted by futurepilot11 View Post
My first choice is Cochise College, they offer an associates degree in aviation and it is very affordable. I would finish the program in 2 years with all my ratings. After completing the program I will have two years until I am able to get a job at a regional and that will leave me plenty of time to instruct. This path seems to be perfect with the exception of it not offering a 4 year degree. So, I would have to transfer to UVU online to finish my degree. But, I don't know if I want to be working on my degree when I am at the airlines and/or instructing.

The two other schools I am considering offer four year aviation degrees. The schools are Utah Valley University (in person program) or Central Washington University. The benefit to each is they offer me a bachelor's degree which I will need for the majors. Yet, they are both about twice the cost as the 2 year degree option. They will each take 4 years plus 1 year of instructing to get to the airlines. Putting me at 22 years old, year 2024. This is a year longer than the 2 year degree plan. It may seem like just a year, but from looking at all the majors retirement numbers I want to get the most out of the hiring boom.
If you have your commercial pilot's license, at counts as college credit at embry riddle. You can get your degree for just under 4 years, plus they offer online classes so you can work and log hours.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 PM
Line Holder

Big plans. That's good. But maybe a bit too much emphasis on getting there by 21, but what do I know. I do know that there are kids getting to the regionals fast with a 4-year degree. But because they wanted to get there fast and be sure that they would get right in, they (or their parents) dropped bigtime coin at places like Embry. So now they are making very average money and are saddled with ridiculous debt. It's a little sad actually. I almost feel that these schools and flight academies are taking advantage of the pilot shortage hype and pushing the "you have to do it now and do it fast or you'll miss out" bit.

If you or your parents have money burning a hole in your pocket, then pick a university and get the bachelor's as quick as possible. Otherwise how about going to a community college that has an aviation program and get two years in that way, then finish up at a university. You'll save a boatload of cash and spend only marginally more time.

Either way, you should get the bachelors.

One other thing to think about. I wonder how far along you are in flight training? Do you have your private? How much flying and what types of other flying have you done other than primary training? Did you grow up around aviation? The reason for that question is that if flying isn't the be-all and end-all for you (other than in your imagination what flying all the time might be like), you may end up being one miserable dude. That's just another good reason to go the community college aviation program route - it gives you another 2 years to see if you actually want it to be just a job or not.
Old 08-24-2018, 12:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

I went the community college route for flight training because it’s affordable and because I’m able to transfer my AS Degree to a Bachelor Program at the same college. 0-CFI with a AS in Aviation and a BAS in Supervision/Management for about $50k. I’ll be doing my classes online while instructing and flying at the regionals. One or two classes a semester won’t hurt and I know I’ll finish eventually. Hope this helps!
Old 08-24-2018, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: A-320

I did the UVU program online back in 2002-2004. It was cheap and you get a lot of credits for your ratings. I only had a couple classes done at a community college when I transferred in, so I did most of my general ed classes with them as well. My daughter is planning on becoming a pilot and right now I'm leaning towards Tarrant Community College (DFW area) then either transfer to the University of Northern Texas-Arlington aviation degree program or transfer to UVU. Costs seem reasonable at Tarrant CC, $60 something thousand to get you thru your instructor ratings and a 2 year degree. It's local to us, so that will help keep costs down.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:56 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Does UVU give credits for CFI, CFI-I, CFI-ME and AGI and IGI as well?