Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Pilot Health
FAA Looking at VA Records (Indictments!) >

FAA Looking at VA Records (Indictments!)

Search
Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

FAA Looking at VA Records (Indictments!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
It’s “too”......I rest my case...;-)
AAnd your tooooo eazy
Old 09-08-2018, 07:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
AAnd your tooooo eazy
It’s “you’re”. At least we know you are a real Marine.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: FAA 'Flight Check'

Originally Posted by PDRit View Post
It’s “you’re”. At least we know you are a real Marine.
And you take bait like a running salmon!

Ok.....you guys were right.
It isn’t fun or even a challenge anymore.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:28 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2018

I'm following the cases, since the indictments are public record through the PACER database in the SFO US district court. What I am more interested in (call it a morbid fascination) is the mechanism the FAA found out about the discrepancies. Fishing expeditions by agencies are expressly forbidden by federal law. Release of medical records are protected under privacy act laws, and we don't sign a medical release when we apply for an FAA medical (other than the NDR check, which we expressly authorize). The statement simply means the FAA will cross-check databases if able, which doesn't authorize a release of protected data. My completely uneducated guess would be to agree with the sentiment earlier in the thread that the FAA somehow used a non-protected means to gain enough probable cause to issue a subpoena. Also, sort of related... Why does this always happen in NorCal? Didn't the last round of this type of prosecution take place in NorCal?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

IRS is a conduit used in the past. States can access federal tax records. through disclosure laws IRC 6103 stuff). States in past looked at differences between federal and state taxes. Once any fraud is suspected, its potentially criminal and then subpoenas of other records (FAA medical forms, VA, Social Security? ) I suspect are accessed lawfully under criminal investigation. Prosecutions of similar FAA and VA cases years ago followed a nearly same path.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:24 PM
weekends off? Nope...

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Originally Posted by conoblep View Post
I'm following the cases, since the indictments are public record through the PACER database in the SFO US district court. What I am more interested in (call it a morbid fascination) is the mechanism the FAA found out about the discrepancies. Fishing expeditions by agencies are expressly forbidden by federal law. Release of medical records are protected under privacy act laws, and we don't sign a medical release when we apply for an FAA medical (other than the NDR check, which we expressly authorize). The statement simply means the FAA will cross-check databases if able, which doesn't authorize a release of protected data. My completely uneducated guess would be to agree with the sentiment earlier in the thread that the FAA somehow used a non-protected means to gain enough probable cause to issue a subpoena. Also, sort of related... Why does this always happen in NorCal? Didn't the last round of this type of prosecution take place in NorCal?

This is how...

https://www.leftseat.com/federal-avi...tration-faa-2/
Old 09-13-2018, 09:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

So do you check the box for receiving disability benefits if you have a military disability rating?

I'm considering filing for a shoulder dislocation I got on active duty but since I wasn't hospitalized (I'm assuming that means you were admitted as inpatient) it doesn't fit in the other boxes. I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops though for 10-20%
Old 09-13-2018, 09:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017
Position: searching..

Sure why not, I sincerely doubt the AME or the FAA gives a crap about a shoulder dislocation. I check it for my VA disabilities. Check a box if need be. No big deal.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:46 AM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by bh539 View Post
So do you check the box for receiving disability benefits if you have a military disability rating?

I'm considering filing for a shoulder dislocation I got on active duty but since I wasn't hospitalized (I'm assuming that means you were admitted as inpatient) it doesn't fit in the other boxes. I don't want to have to jump through a bunch of hoops though for 10-20%
As long as the history claimed on the FAA physical and VA paperwork MATCH and you can pass a FAA class 1 there isn't a problem. The problem comes when you tell one story to the VA and a different one to the VA.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:08 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Looks like the https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...qewPaQRC8QpGL/

Well that’s just a bit of a stretch....

Better get USERRA involved and the “how can you question my integrity” chant going.