Civillian Route before Military? >

Civillian Route before Military?

Notices
Military Military Aviation

Civillian Route before Military?

Old 08-31-2018, 04:09 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2016
Default Civillian Route before Military?

Complicated situation here, I am a UPT hire, however something in my medical history is going to prevent me from swearing in for about 2 more years unless I can obtain a waiver.

If a waiver is not obtained, I can still put together a packet with any other branch and hope for a waiver. The ANG UPT slot would still be my first choice, however I would be interested in an active duty pilot spot in another branch and ok with the lifestyle and career differences compared to the ANG route if the ANG waiver is denied and one is approved with another branch.

My dilemma is if my waiver with the ANG gets denied and I am unable to obtain a waiver/be accepted with another branch should I go ahead with the civilian route (probably CFI to regionals) during the 2ish year period I will have to kill before starting the ANG pipeline.

-I have my PPL.
-I am financially able to pay for additional ratings up to CFI for the potential civilian route.
-I have a backup career field that I am happy with and could do for work during the required wait if I choose not to get my CFI and go the civilian route.
-Age requirements for military flight training will not be an issue in this situation.

I have already gotten several opinions from family friends who have taken both routes, but I wanted to open it up to hear some other viewpoints that may be out there.

-Thanks
Old 08-31-2018, 04:31 PM
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

If your hiring unit is willing to wait it out and pursue a waiver, I’d go the civ route and try to get as far as you can as fast as you can while you wait on that. If you can get a seniority number at a wholly owned regional with a flow, great...you will continue to accrue seniority on mil leave and will flow at some point. If the waiver never comes, you’re well on your way anyway, and can always try a different branch later if you wanted. I would avoid active duty if I could help it. My $.02...everyone’s situation and priorities are different though.
Old 08-31-2018, 04:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by RNAV2GRITZ View Post
Complicated situation here, I am a UPT hire, however something in my medical history is going to prevent me from swearing in for about 2 more years unless I can obtain a waiver.

If a waiver is not obtained, I can still put together a packet with any other branch and hope for a waiver. The ANG UPT slot would still be my first choice, however I would be interested in an active duty pilot spot in another branch and ok with the lifestyle and career differences compared to the ANG route if the ANG waiver is denied and one is approved with another branch.

My dilemma is if my waiver with the ANG gets denied and I am unable to obtain a waiver/be accepted with another branch should I go ahead with the civilian route (probably CFI to regionals) during the 2ish year period I will have to kill before starting the ANG pipeline.

-I have my PPL.
-I am financially able to pay for additional ratings up to CFI for the potential civilian route.
-I have a backup career field that I am happy with and could do for work during the required wait if I choose not to get my CFI and go the civilian route.
-Age requirements for military flight training will not be an issue in this situation.

I have already gotten several opinions from family friends who have taken both routes, but I wanted to open it up to hear some other viewpoints that may be out there.

-Thanks
Yes, if you want to fly get the ball rolling...
Old 08-31-2018, 06:11 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
If your hiring unit is willing to wait it out and pursue a waiver, I’d go the civ route and try to get as far as you can as fast as you can while you wait on that. If you can get a seniority number at a wholly owned regional with a flow, great...you will continue to accrue seniority on mil leave and will flow at some point. If the waiver never comes, you’re well on your way anyway, and can always try a different branch later if you wanted. I would avoid active duty if I could help it. My $.02...everyone’s situation and priorities are different though.

x2.

GN,BA
Old 08-31-2018, 09:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

Originally Posted by BeatNavy View Post
Agreed & I’d add that even if you go to UPT before you get to a regional I still see value in the training you will have done….i.e. it’ll make UPT a bit easier. Along the same lines, if you do end up going active duty…the civilian ratings / additional flying experience will give you a bit of a competitive edge.

Also if you don’t get this waiver and look to pursue other avenues into military aviation – I would think, although not sure – continuing to progress with civilian ratings would weigh favorably on your military applications.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:15 PM
Covfefe

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
x2.

GN,BA
Probably will this year. We look like hot garbage.