American, SWA total time

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

American, SWA total time

Old 09-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018
Default American, SWA total time

When I fill out apps for AA, SWA, and a few others, it seems that they want me to break down time in type for every type that I’ve ever flown. Without doing so, I cannot get my TT, Multi, Jet, PIC, etc to equal what hours I truly have.

With nearly 7000 hours and a paper logbook, it isn’t so easy to fill out the apps that ask for time in each type.

How are others filling out their times when you’ve been on a paper logbook forever? Or, do I just need to bite the bullet and convert to electronic?

Thanks for the insight.
Old 09-08-2018, 02:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Combine piston GA time into Piston A:SEL and Piston A:MEL categories.
Old 09-08-2018, 03:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Position: Gear slinger

Originally Posted by Bengal View Post
When I fill out apps for AA, SWA, and a few others, it seems that they want me to break down time in type for every type that I’ve ever flown. Without doing so, I cannot get my TT, Multi, Jet, PIC, etc to equal what hours I truly have.

With nearly 7000 hours and a paper logbook, it isn’t so easy to fill out the apps that ask for time in each type.

How are others filling out their times when you’ve been on a paper logbook forever? Or, do I just need to bite the bullet and convert to electronic?

Thanks for the insight.
Probably just need to bite the bullet... good news is it should find any errors.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:46 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Bite the bullet. As you enter each page, check the page totals with the e-book as you go... either to catch errors as they happen than at the end.
Old 09-08-2018, 05:53 AM
weekends off? Nope...

Joined APC: Apr 2014

Convert to electronic. you won't regret it. logbook errors can sink a candidate if they are egregious enough to look like misrepresentation of qualifications
Old 09-08-2018, 06:10 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2018

Thank you for the thoughts. I’ll start researching electronic logbooks and get working on it...
Old 09-08-2018, 07:37 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

You can pay some companies to convert your paper one for you, which I would consider with 7000hrs. When I did it at ~1500 it took about 2 weeks of kind of half-a$$ed entering, a lot of which you could easily do at work.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2017
Position: 737 FO

I was in the same situation. I converted my paper logbooks into an excel spreadsheet by making one excel row for every page in my logbook. Then multiple columns for aircraft and type of time (PIC, IMC, etc). Discovered some logbook errors along the way. It was a PITA and took hours.

But at the end of the process, I was confident that I had represented my total time (and all the required subcategories) as accurately as possible. I got hired at AA and had zero logbook questions during the interview process. In other words, it was worth it to me.

And I still keep my paper logbook. Old school, yes, but it is a history of my flying life and I like it that way!
Old 09-09-2018, 04:22 AM
Gets Weekend Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2007

I was dreading converting my logbook into electronic format. Despite the tediousness of doing it, I can promise you it will be a trip down the memory lane and actually kinda fun. What's better, it'll jog your memory about the stories needed for the interview... you'll have a bunch of "Oh yeah... I remember that!" moments.

But the best part if you're a job-seeker, once you have it done, it'll be a mere click and you'll have all your fields populated to the fraction and in the format you want. For example, LogTen Pro has the reports generator by the vendor, so if you're applying to AA, SWA or FDX, just select PilotCredentials.com as your format and out it goes. Same with Delta and United and AirlineApps. It really makes your logbook totals a breeze.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Originally Posted by Bengal View Post

Thanks for the insight.
I had only ballpark 2700 hours of mixed fighter and trainer time, and I couldn't get it to consistently add up until I converted to electronic. Too many conversion factors, which "primary" time was PIC or IP or EP or "SEC", etc etc. I did the electronic logbook entry myself but there are companies that will do it for a fee that is quite reasonable considering the career earnings of a post-military 20 year airline career. I used logbook pro and I like it, but the automated report generator aimed at the airline applications is not very up to date. Another product might be able to automatically convert times into the format required by the various applications (they're all different), but I don't have up to date info on that other than logbook pro doesn't have a default report format that matches any of the applications, let alone all of them.