Who could have predicted this?

Notices

Who could have predicted this?

Old 09-16-2018, 10:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2017
Default Who could have predicted this?

This was from a post back in 2012 called Eagle Pilots: A must read

There is no job protection. AA will be taken over, more than likely, by US Airways and the AIP contains no successorship or merger protection language when AA is acquired by another carrier.

Who could have predicted that it would be the OTHER WAY AROUND, that AA would take over US Airway.
Old 09-16-2018, 10:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ..._Airways_Group

That's not quite how it all shook out.

TL;DR
-The merger was seen more of a merger of equals
-AA branding remained due to better name recognition
-Most of the management team is former US, Doug Parker was even the AW CEO before the AW-US merger
-One world stayed because why would the new AA stay in Star Alliance with United?
-Most operations facilities consolidated to DFW because they already existed, previously US had stuff all over, HQ in PHX, operations center in PIT

So no, AA didn't really take over US Airways.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post

There is no job protection. AA will be taken over, more than likely, by US Airways and the AIP contains no successorship or merger protection language when AA is acquired by another carrier.

Who could have predicted that it would be the OTHER WAY AROUND, that AA would take over US Airway.
They didn't. But thanks for playing.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by TCASTESTOK View Post

I think you got that backward. USAir took over AA. They kept the AA name but it was a USAIR show.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
I think you got that backward. USAir took over AA. They kept the AA name but it was a USAIR show.
Yes, but Parker took the "adapt and go" philosophy where the management would adapt the policies (generally) of the larger group. However, LAA management pilots still generally populate the tiers of flight operations. Now policies that were once used on the DC-6 are now starting to be used on the Airbus. I don't really care, the pay makes up for it and we're not going back to a qfe altimeter setting (as of now, anyway).
Old 09-18-2018, 05:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2015

who cares?
Old 09-18-2018, 02:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: MD-11 FO

Originally Posted by Route66 View Post
Yes, but Parker took the "adapt and go" philosophy where the management would adapt the policies (generally) of the larger group. However, LAA management pilots still generally populate the tiers of flight operations. Now policies that were once used on the DC-6 are now starting to be used on the Airbus. I don't really care, the pay makes up for it and we're not going back to a qfe altimeter setting (as of now, anyway).
You could always take that up with the union's Safety Committee.

....Oh, that's right...
Old 09-18-2018, 03:46 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

And they are doing a fantastic job! On a completely unrelated note, has anyone seen the stock price lately? Also, anyone have any guess how much market share we will end up giving up in the largest US market city? Anyway, fanatastic job. Faaantastic.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:37 PM
Weekend workaholic

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: A320 CA

Jeez, I thought it was AWA took over USAir. They just kept the...wait, you know what? WHO CARES! ALL that crap is way above our pay grade and water under the bridge. If we don’t all start rowing in the same direction, we’re ALL gonna have pretty disappointing careers.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by flyinawa View Post
Jeez, I thought it was AWA took over USAir. They just kept the...wait, you know what? WHO CARES! ALL that crap is way above our pay grade and water under the bridge. If we don’t all start rowing in the same direction, we’re ALL gonna have pretty disappointing careers.
I wish more realized this.

As more newbies come on board I hope it will get better. As is, most CA's are checking out within the next five to ten years so they DGAF. Can't say I don't blame them.