Becoming a Fedex Pilot

Notices

Becoming a Fedex Pilot

Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 PM
Organizational Learning 

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Directly behind the combiner

Originally Posted by Fdxlag2 View Post

I can get you his email if you want to ask him.

Remind us all again what you're trying to contribute to this conversation.

I've already got his e-mail, thankyouverymuch. Since you obviously don't have a good answer, why don't YOU ask him the next time you're gobbling his pizza.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:20 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
Remind us all again what you're trying to contribute to this conversation.

I've already got his e-mail, thankyouverymuch. Since you obviously don't have a good answer, why don't YOU ask him the next time you're gobbling his pizza.

Sorry to interrupt your whine fest.

Just trying to find out why this bothers you all so much. And why the sniping. The company has always hired who they wanted to hire, and at least in this case, he meets the stated mins. That has not always been the case, has it? It is their dime. Is it Capitalism you really hate? He didn’t take a seniority number, if he doesn’t pull his share of line trips they will just have to hire another line guy, gal or zhe to pickup the slack. I suspect this is just a chance for him to get a kilt. Maybe the Feds had something to do with it. Perhaps Fred woke up one morning and said why ain’t you on the seniority list? Or perhaps there is a lock out in our future and they want to be able to move the Golden 757. As long as the check clears and the company doesn’t violate the CBA (thus protecting seniority) it is not really my business or skin off my backside.

For the record, I asked a serious question and you replied with some fine proposals, but failed to answer the question. What can we do as a union to keep the company from hiring whoever they desire? Get back to me when you have some more snark. Much to my and likely his chagrin, I agree with anthrax, it just gives him a place to go if this chief pilot gig doesn’t work out in a couple of years.

Last edited by Fdxlag2; 01-12-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Alas I don’t get to Mem too often, but I admit to eating 2 slices of pizza on two occasions. Do chicken wings count? Certainly never while the contract was negotiable. I also use the sleep rooms, but I generally draw the line at eating the cereal out of the company provided catering.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

According to the contract, in order to fly revenue flights, you have to be on the seniority list.

If you are on the seniority list, you are required to pay union dues/maintenance fees. I asked the union if he was going to pay 1.9% of his salary to the union, and the answer I got was "I sure hope he does." I asked why he wouldn't if all pilots on the seniority list were required to and the answer I got was they weren't sure if they could require him to because he was hired as a manager first.

As Tony stated before, if the company decided to furlough this summer, do you think that TL would be on the furlough list? Do you think he would fly while pilots senior to him were on furlough?

We had a USAir pilot as a manager with a last name starting with G. The company wanted him to be able to fly revenue flights, but the union somehow blocked it. I guess Mr. G should have sprung for pizzas.
Old 01-12-2019, 10:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Crewmember

If he does not pay his 1.9% we should grieve it.

Yeah, that will work...
Old 01-12-2019, 04:41 PM

The company has always hired who they wanted to hire, and at least in this case, he meets the stated mins.

No, he does not.

Repeat, he does NOT meet the minimums.

He does NOT meet the recency of experience requirement that is keeping, for example, a very good friend of mine from being considered.

But for that little detail, my friend might have that seniority number.

I've never used the Ignore feature before, but you're making me think about it. If your only interest is stirring the pot, I'm over that.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

No, he does not.

Repeat, he does NOT meet the minimums.

He does NOT meet the recency of experience requirement that is keeping, for example, a very good friend of mine from being considered.

But for that little detail, my friend might have that seniority number.

I've never used the Ignore feature before, but you're making me think about it. If your only interest is stirring the pot, I'm over that.

Please review and affirm that you meet the following qualifications:

Do you have a commercial Pilot Certificate with Multi-engine and Instrument rating (without limitations)?

Do you have a current ATP Certificate?

Do you have the ability to pass FAA mandated drug screen?

Do you meet requirements for and currently hold First Class Medical certification or a Military Flight Physical?

Do you have 20/20 correctable vision?

Do you possess a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university?

Are you legally authorized to work in the U.S.?

Are you eligible for rapid visa issuance, issued by offices in the United States to fly to any FedEx Express international destination?

Are you eligible for issuance of U.S. Security Clearance?

Are you eligible to work in the United States now and in the future without requiring sponsorship for employment such as H-1B visa status?

Do you have at least 1500 hours total fixed-wing time as PIC or SIC in multi-engine turbo-prop or jet A/C or combination thereof.

Are your certificates and ratings issued by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration?

Couldn’t admit you were wrong about sleep rooms (who was the pot stirrer that went back three years for one of my posts?). Won’t admit you are wrong now. The chief pilot getting a line number is not preventing your friend from getting hired. I asked a simple question of someone else. You inserted yourself into it with out answering the question. Before you ignore me, take another shot at the question, what should we put in the CBA that would prevent the company from hiring the current chief pilot?
Old 01-12-2019, 06:32 PM

Hey, Leo,

What is FedEx's recency of experience requirement?

I know. I visited Cindy Sartain's office. Despite the warning on the door, "Testing in Progress" at 4PM, I dared to enter (and found nobody in the office taking tests) to ask what a person must do to meet the recency of experience requirement. She barely looked away from her computer screen to even acknowledge my presence.

No surprise, really. She left her paralegal job from The Company's "Negotiating Team" to take the recruiting job. The pilot recruiter is anything but a pilot friend.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:41 PM

... take another shot at the question, what should we put in the CBA that would prevent the company from hiring the current chief pilot?

Asked and answered. Review my first response. Engage thinking part of brain.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:45 PM

Couldn’t admit you were wrong about sleep rooms (who was the pot stirrer that went back three years for one of my posts?).

I wasn't wrong at all. You voted for a concession and say it's not a big deal.

In fact, it's still a big deal.