Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Handwriting Problem - Tremor In Left Hand >

Handwriting Problem - Tremor In Left Hand

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Handwriting Problem - Tremor In Left Hand

Old 10-01-2018, 04:38 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2018

Good lord, if this is the state of professional aviation today, then we are in severe trouble. But I suspect you doozies are not representative of the majority of pilots. Have fun, bus drivers.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

I have had ET forever, at least in my teens that I can remember,

Join the AF, became a fighter pilot and now an Airline pilot.

I think my reactions are actually quicker than most people, could be related to ET. When something is about to or is falling, I snatch it. People are always amazed.

Anyway, it is just embarrassing when writing or drinking from a cup in front of people. Otherwise a non issue.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:04 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by jupiter87140 View Post
Good lord, if this is the state of professional aviation today, then we are in severe trouble. But I suspect you doozies are not representative of the majority of pilots. Have fun, bus drivers.
Care to say what your profession is (when you’re not sitting in on DL interviews)?
Old 10-02-2018, 08:16 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

From "I have not yet done a landing, although we are working up to that." to "Have fun, bus drivers."

Wow. Dude, you haven't even solo'd yet. Get a grip. My .02: Get off the forums. Talk to an AME. Learn how to fly.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:33 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Last time you were here, you were invited for an interview at Kalitta by Connie himself.
What's your next reincarnation?
Ah, I beg your pardon? I have absolutely no knowledge about what you are talking about.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:36 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
Former OIC of the PRP/HRP program for a fighter wing with a strike mission as one of its DOC statements if you must know. And the wing routinely pulled clearances on people who had as difficult a time dealing with reality as you apparently do, pending psych eval.

But as the old saying goes about leading a horse to water, I realize you aren't going to listen. - I think we all do by now - and bear you no malice. I hope for your sake you get help.

That's my last communication with you.
Of course it's your last communication with you, because you have been found to be totally wanting, in terms of your ability to determine if a person needs a "psych eval."

Of course, you would not want to have any more communication, which might demonstrate your foolishness and incompetence.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:46 AM
On Reserve

Again folks, looking back here, it is clear that most of you, with the exception of a few - thank you for your comments - are not the brightest bulbs on the Christmas tree. That is very clear. That will be found out within the first 10 minutes of a major airline interview, regardless of whether you went through Emerald Coast, etc. The majors are very well aware of what all of your Emerald Coast, etc., answers will be. I rather doubt that those who I am referring to, some of the morons on this forum, would ever make it to a major airline interview.

Take care, and good luck with your aviation aspirations.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 AM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by jupiter87140 View Post
Ah, I beg your pardon? I have absolutely no knowledge about what you are talking about.
That was one of your previous alter egos.
You should change your writing style from one account to another, it wouldn't be so blatantly obvious then.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

I don't think you have done anything wrong. It was your first medical form and you have just started dipping your toe into the steaming pile of ******* that is the FAA legal system. That said, it is upon you as a pilot to "self ground" yourself if you develop a medical issue that could limit your abilities to carry out your duties. I would try to lean on the side of caution when dealing with the FAA. The AOPA is a non-profit (not really) organization that lobbies for and assists pilots. If you pay their yearly fee (I think it is less than a one hour rental), you have access to their lawyers and medical staff that can answer any questions. I personally would not do anything (fly or mess with a new medical form) until I talked to them and had a very good idea of the path forward.

As far as paper and pen being stone aged, I disagree. You can use the Ipad, and apps like foreflight that typically have a scratch pad, even with different sections for standardized clearances. Problem is standard clearances are kind of like 29.92...they never happen. Once you start IFR training, and/or operating out of complex airports and air spaces, you will get some pretty none standard instructions. You need a free hand way of writing these down quickly. Heading and altitude can quickly be dialed in with heading and altitude bugs. But most 40 year old cessnas don't have them, and dual g5s to get them run about 10k. There really isn't any faster or easier way then just writing it down. I am left handed and sometimes it is a PITA because I put a knee board on my right knee, and without an autopilot in turbulence down low I have to reach over and write on my other knee. Life would be easier if I was right handed. Plus paper never runs out of batteries. The further you get into this you will realize everything is about redundancy and simplicity. I understand why you may have gotten upset with some of these guys basically saying you broke the law, that's why you came here to ask right?! It has all gotten a little out of control. Although some of them have pretty strong personalities, they typically lean on the side of caution and collectively have 100s of years of experience. I know guys with much much more serious issues that fly every week, living the good life. This is not insurmountable.

In summation, paper is used because it works great, doesn't break and is cheap (rare in aviation). Call AOPA, find out if it is an issue, and if the medicine he suggested will be something you would need to report before your next medical. Personally if I could take a medicine that wouldn't effect my ability to get a medical, and would allow me to get rid of a tremor, I would do it without question.

You will need to be able to write free hand to be a pilot...Sometimes under high stress situations in a cloud, in congested airspace, with malfunctioning equipment. If you are having to worry about your ability to write legibly, you are adding another layer of stress you do not need. Being an airline pilot right now is a great career choice. Beginning pay is getting better, and senior pay has always been good...Lots of retirements coming, more demand world wide...

I just wish everyone would stop taking everything so personal and maintain civility.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:49 AM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by TaylorPilot View Post
I don't think you have done anything wrong. It was your first medical form and you have just started dipping your toe into the steaming pile of ******* that is the FAA legal system. That said, it is upon you as a pilot to "self ground" yourself if you develop a medical issue that could limit your abilities to carry out your duties. I would try to lean on the side of caution when dealing with the FAA. The AOPA is a non-profit (not really) organization that lobbies for and assists pilots. If you pay their yearly fee (I think it is less than a one hour rental), you have access to their lawyers and medical staff that can answer any questions. I personally would not do anything (fly or mess with a new medical form) until I talked to them and had a very good idea of the path forward.

As far as paper and pen being stone aged, I disagree. You can use the Ipad, and apps like foreflight that typically have a scratch pad, even with different sections for standardized clearances. Problem is standard clearances are kind of like 29.92...they never happen. Once you start IFR training, and/or operating out of complex airports and air spaces, you will get some pretty none standard instructions. You need a free hand way of writing these down quickly. Heading and altitude can quickly be dialed in with heading and altitude bugs. But most 40 year old cessnas don't have them, and dual g5s to get them run about 10k. There really isn't any faster or easier way then just writing it down. I am left handed and sometimes it is a PITA because I put a knee board on my right knee, and without an autopilot in turbulence down low I have to reach over and write on my other knee. Life would be easier if I was right handed. Plus paper never runs out of batteries. The further you get into this you will realize everything is about redundancy and simplicity. I understand why you may have gotten upset with some of these guys basically saying you broke the law, that's why you came here to ask right?! It has all gotten a little out of control. Although some of them have pretty strong personalities, they typically lean on the side of caution and collectively have 100s of years of experience. I know guys with much much more serious issues that fly every week, living the good life. This is not insurmountable.

In summation, paper is used because it works great, doesn't break and is cheap (rare in aviation). Call AOPA, find out if it is an issue, and if the medicine he suggested will be something you would need to report before your next medical. Personally if I could take a medicine that wouldn't effect my ability to get a medical, and would allow me to get rid of a tremor, I would do it without question.

You will need to be able to write free hand to be a pilot...Sometimes under high stress situations in a cloud, in congested airspace, with malfunctioning equipment. If you are having to worry about your ability to write legibly, you are adding another layer of stress you do not need. Being an airline pilot right now is a great career choice. Beginning pay is getting better, and senior pay has always been good...Lots of retirements coming, more demand world wide...

I just wish everyone would stop taking everything so personal and maintain civility.
Thank you my friend. Your advice is VERY much appreciated. The medication recommended by my doctor is prohibited by the FAA, and therefore I will not have him prescribe it for me. I’m finding that the most difficulty with my left hand is writing in extremely little boxes. No problem writing in larger spaces, and no problem with the right hand whatsoever. And again, this issue is only with handwriting with the left hand. It has no issue - at all - to do with larger neurological functions of controlling the yolk with left hand, pushing buttons with left hand, rotating buttons with left hand, etc. I believe that I will be able to get past this issue with a lot of effort.

Thanks again for your intelligent and informative input.