Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Commercial checkride question

Old 10-07-2018, 02:43 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

You're 20-something low-post millennial who can't contribute to the thread, aren't you?

And now you're dragging in irrelevant political garbage.

Not one word addressing the thread.

Classy.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
You're 20-something low-post millennial who can't contribute to the thread, aren't you?

And now you're dragging in irrelevant political garbage.

Not one word addressing the thread.

Classy.
I merely did what you did, no need to be a hypocrite

But since we're here, you might as well explain how "children of the magenta line" positively addresses the thread

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk
Old 10-07-2018, 11:37 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

That you don't understand the concept speaks volumes. As you've failed to contribute to the thread even once, it's clear you're dead weight. No further conversation with you.

Originally Posted by misterpretzel View Post
This message is hidden because misterpretzel is on your ignore list.
A vast improvement.

A deviation entered the practical test because while it's such a mindless and simple thing to do, in todays cockpits, students were struggling with anything that took them off the magenta line. Prior to reducing cockpit skill to worship of the magenta line, one was expected to know where one was all the time, such that diversion options were always part of situational awareness...every bit as much as already having a forced landing site picked out when flying A to B. It's basic airmanship.

The irony is that in advanced cockpits, which today is anything with a handheld GPS on up, diversion is as dirt-simple as hitting the nearest button. One should have already made the diversion planning before ever departing, however, and should already know the options that are only confirmed by double checking weather and then diverting. These are not issues with which one needs to struggle enroute. 14 CFR 91.103(a) demands that the PIC become familiar with this information before the flight.

There are simple rules of thumb or ways to make quick determinations enroute, however, and these have been presented, thus contributing early to the thread.

Some have entered here with absolutely zero to contribute, and continue to do just that.
Old 10-08-2018, 06:34 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: Diver Driver/Rag Dragger

Originally Posted by mikeinflight View Post
Hi all,

I am getting ready to take my commercial ride soon and was wondering what others have used as far as a flight plan for the XC and deviation portion of the ride.

The only answer that matters is what is the DPE going to expect?

I have had DPE's say I could use my iPad, as long as I brought paper charts. I have had DPE's tell me I could not use my iPad for anything other than plates. My CPL SEL ride when the DPE gave me my diversion, I knew where I was and turned directly to the closest airport and told him we were 20 mins out, I used nothing else. For my multi, the DPE was quizzing me on the G1000 during the ride and expected me to be able to use just it to include pulling up plates.

I think you are over thinking it.... Use your favorite method to determine how to get there.... And don't be surprised if the first method you pick "fails". So if you use your iPad, expect it to fail and go to the GPS. If you use the GPS, expect it to fail and have to go to something else.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
That you don't understand the concept speaks volumes. As you've failed to contribute to the thread even once, it's clear you're dead weight. No further conversation with you.

A vast improvement.

A deviation entered the practical test because while it's such a mindless and simple thing to do, in todays cockpits, students were struggling with anything that took them off the magenta line. Prior to reducing cockpit skill to worship of the magenta line, one was expected to know where one was all the time, such that diversion options were always part of situational awareness...every bit as much as already having a forced landing site picked out when flying A to B. It's basic airmanship.

The irony is that in advanced cockpits, which today is anything with a handheld GPS on up, diversion is as dirt-simple as hitting the nearest button. One should have already made the diversion planning before ever departing, however, and should already know the options that are only confirmed by double checking weather and then diverting. These are not issues with which one needs to struggle enroute. 14 CFR 91.103(a) demands that the PIC become familiar with this information before the flight.

There are simple rules of thumb or ways to make quick determinations enroute, however, and these have been presented, thus contributing early to the thread.

Some have entered here with absolutely zero to contribute, and continue to do just that.
Yeah cause all of that can be inferred from your sneeringly made comment. Sorry we aren't all as proficidnt of pilots as you, oh great one.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk