Notices
SkyWest Regional Airline

Class Dates?

Old 10-03-2018, 02:26 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Default Class Dates?

Hey folks,
Trying to get a feel for how far out Skywest is scheduling class dates. I know there have been lots of delays industry wide.

For reference, my interview is in two weeks. If they like me, how far down the road would a class date be?
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2018, 02:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2011
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by Glasswing View Post
Hey folks,
Trying to get a feel for how far out Skywest is scheduling class dates. I know there have been lots of delays industry wide.

For reference, my interview is in two weeks. If they like me, how far down the road would a class date be?
Thanks!
We are not experiencing the same delays the rest of the industry is. If you take the CRJ, you'll be given a class as soon as you want. You may have a little bit of a wait for the ERJ.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2018

This is the one area most people at OO heavily respect: the training department.

They do their job and do it well. Classes run approximately every two weeks. I haven't heard of any sort of delay in training unless it was due to a training failure. Even then, the delay is minimal (1 week tops) I'm told.

Most folks I know at 9E finished training 1-2 months after a new hire at OO was already out on-line.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by savedbythevnav View Post
This is the one area most people at OO heavily respect: the training department.

They do their job and do it well. Classes run approximately every two weeks. I haven't heard of any sort of delay in training unless it was due to a training failure. Even then, the delay is minimal (1 week tops) I'm told.

Most folks I know at 9E finished training 1-2 months after a new hire at OO was already out on-line.
You really cannot understate this enough... this is one of the biggest pulls...
I would rather be done with training (at a respected training department) and be flying the line while my buddy hasn't even started class yet. If it means not getting a signing bonus, then so be it.
My priorities are elsewhere.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2018

I've actually got one friend at PSA that took 8 months to get a class date, and another at envoy that took 4 months to get a class date and after 10 months after starting... he's still not broken 200hrs.
Old 10-04-2018, 08:36 AM
On Reserve

I agree, the training is a huge attraction to Skywest.

Thanks for the input everyone! Interview in 2 weeks, I am also finishing up a bachelors online; trying do decide if I should sign up for the next 8-week semester of classes. Would put me in classes until December 10th. I fully intend to devote my attention to training and not be trying to finish up a college class.

If training dates come that quickly i will probably hold off on college work just in case I get lucky with Skywest.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2017

I am just curious. With whom are you completing your online degree with?
Old 10-04-2018, 10:38 AM
On Reserve

I am using Liberty University Online.

I researched UVU and a few of the others but it worked out best to go to Liberty because I have a bunch of credits not related to Aviation so I'm doing a Bachelors of Interdisciplinary Studies with a dual focus in Aviation and Religion.

Pretty happy with the program so far.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:28 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Default Quick to train

I interviewed Tuesday (16 Oct), got called yesterday (18 Oct) with the CJO and to choose class start date. I chose 6 Dec for the ERJ. There were earlier dates, but I'm getting the family settled during November. They are very accommodating for your start dates.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:58 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by shrekviper View Post
I interviewed Tuesday (16 Oct), got called yesterday (18 Oct) with the CJO and to choose class start date. I chose 6 Dec for the ERJ. There were earlier dates, but I'm getting the family settled during November. They are very accommodating for your start dates.
Thanks! I Interviewed yesterday so hopefully I'll get a call soon.