Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

Thinking about Cargo? - A Contract Comparison

Old 10-05-2018, 05:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Another consideration. How long to retirement. Based on my age I will never see the Max FO pay at UPS or FedEx, much less the max CA pay. At another carrier, yes. At someplace like Kalitta I have a chance of making CA pay in the next 10 years. As much as the max CA pay at FedEx or UPS? Nope. But probably more than I would make there as an FO.
Also, I think Kalitta domestic DH is 50%, but international is 100%:
In present market and retirement rates, today's new hires at FedEx or UPS will be Captain at 10 years if they choose. Don't discount these two contracts additional DCP and DBP compensation which is not insignificant plus higher monthly guarantee hours.
Cant accurately foretell the future at any place though.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
In present market and retirement rates, today's new hires at FedEx or UPS will be Captain at 10 years if they choose. Don't discount these two contracts additional DCP and DBP compensation which is not insignificant plus higher monthly guarantee hours.
Cant accurately foretell the future at any place though.
My current window is just under 10 years. None of the majors or UPS/FedEx will touch me as I’ve been in the same seat too long and am deemed “untrainable”. Also my GPA from college was less than a 3.0 (double major, drilling with the Guard, well known tough school). So I would have to go somewhere else first to be trained and “prove myself”. By the time I am trained elsewhere, get an interview date, maybe a successful interview, put in the pool, get a class date... I’m down to maybe 8 years. With compressed time the advantages diminish.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:07 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by sky jet View Post
Nope, 50%
Just read that. I was told wrong.
Old 10-05-2018, 06:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
My current window is just under 10 years. None of the majors or UPS/FedEx will touch me as I’ve been in the same seat too long and am deemed “untrainable”. Also my GPA from college was less than a 3.0 (double major, drilling with the Guard, well known tough school). So I would have to go somewhere else first to be trained and “prove myself”. By the time I am trained elsewhere, get an interview date, maybe a successful interview, put in the pool, get a class date... I’m down to maybe 8 years. With compressed time the advantages diminish.
Seems everyone does want a fresh type rating from current employer to demonstrate "trainability" :/
Instructor or LCA carries weight in HR as well.
Best of fortunes
Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014
Default Thinking about Cargo? - A Contract Comparison

I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I’m going to ask it anyways. I’ve been with one regional so far so I know how it works on my side but not at other airlines. When looking at the compensation charts, would a 15 year FO upgrading to captain receive 15 year CA pay? Or is this what DOS+(whatever) is intended for?

Excellent post by the way! Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2018, 07:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Position: Licking the window

Originally Posted by Av8er1550 View Post
I know this is probably a ridiculous question but I’m going to ask it anyways. I’ve been with one regional so far so I know how it works on my side but not at other airlines. When looking at the compensation charts, would a 15 year FO upgrading to captain receive 15 year CA pay? Or is this what DOS+(whatever) is intended for?

Excellent post by the way! Thanks.

Yes, a 15 year FO would be paid as a 15 year captain when he upgrades with the exception being a few foreign carriers. Also DOS is date of signing of the contract. So say the contract is signed on Jan 1st, but you were hired Jun before the signing. You get your yearly raise in Jun, and you get an additional raise the next Jan 1st because the pay scale will be DOS+1.

Clear as mud?
Old 10-05-2018, 08:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2014

Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yes, a 15 year FO would be paid as a 15 year captain when he upgrades with the exception being a few foreign carriers. Also DOS is date of signing of the contract. So say the contract is signed on Jan 1st, but you were hired Jun before the signing. You get your yearly raise in Jun, and you get an additional raise the next Jan 1st because the pay scale will be DOS+1.

Clear as mud?

Got it! Thanks.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:22 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Blackhawk, you'd do very well to come to K4, if you can handle the 16 days on the road.
Old 10-05-2018, 01:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
Blackhawk, you'd do very well to come to K4, if you can handle the 16 days on the road.
I agree. I’m on my way.
Old 10-05-2018, 07:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: Boeing, left side

Originally Posted by Grundt View Post
Make an informed decision and know what you’re getting into.

https://www.pilotcontracts.org/
I swear I’m not trying to be a jerk. But you misspelled “knowledge” on the web page.