Default Quit a Major Airline?

What do you guys think of this guy?

Young British airways captain quits....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j0N7Ede66mY
Old 11-22-2018, 08:14 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2013
Position: 7th green

He's right. Why spend 35 years as a job you don't like and complaining about it. For the money? If he prefers writing apps and code, more power to him.

Besides its one more seniority number for a British Airways pilot who does love the job.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013
Position: BE20/BE02 Left Seat

Originally Posted by Packrat View Post
He's right. Why spend 35 years as a job you don't like and complaining about it. For the money? If he prefers writing apps and code, more power to him.

Besides its one more seniority number for a British Airways pilot who does love the job.
I completely agree, it just baffles me that he realizes it after getting to the position he was in. People spend years getting to a major airline, he must’ve had a dream of being an airline pilot at some point in his life. At the end of the day, whatever floats your boat....
Old 11-23-2018, 05:16 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by teamflyer View Post
I completely agree, it just baffles me that he realizes it after getting to the position he was in.
There are a lot of things about this industry that one just can't understand until doing the job.

On the one hand, if one keeps hoping it will get better at the next level, but then quits after reaching the pinnacle of his or her journey, then one has given it a shot, and found out.

On the other, if one quits while still at the bottom rungs of a career, one will never know and quits in ignorance.

If one isn't happy with the early rungs, one knows little or nothing of the view at the top of the ladder. If one climbs it and still doesn't like what's seen, it may be time to get off. For others, it's worth riding it out. It can be a well paying ladder.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 AM
Squawking 2000

Joined APC: Jul 2015
Position: Skeptical

I suspect that if he has a hard time feeling that he’s “achieved something” after flying a trip, he’s going to have an even harder time finding that satisfaction after sitting in front of a computer screen all day writing code.

Some things can’t be fixed by dramatically altering external circumstances, because the problem lies within.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

I blame some of his opinion, if blame is the right word, on ab initio programs that lure those with “passion” but no idea of the sacrifices aviation requires. They get quickly trained, look at flying as a lucrative job that’s fun but have little dedication beyond the paycheck. You see the types here all the time.

GF
Old 11-25-2018, 09:58 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Reached the top

He mentions "not gaining anything after a five-day trip". As a young person in the left seat staring down 35 years of the exact same I am sure it is demoralizing to someone with a creative mind. Airlines can be perceived as incredibly boring and an uninspired way to live out one's life.

Others, however, are fine with the constant repetition.

Another issue is if one has reached their career zenith then they must turn to their personal life for creative satisfaction. In the past, a pilot commonly earned far above middle class and had considerable resources with which to build interesting personal lives.

I got the impression from the video that the wages were not so appealing. Others here abandoned legacy airline jobs to become real estate agents in 2005-2008.

Easy come then easy go.

SkyHigh
Old 11-25-2018, 12:39 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
I got the impression from the video that the wages were not so appealing. Others here abandoned legacy airline jobs to become real estate agents in 2005-2008.

Easy come then easy go.

SkyHigh
You cannot speak, but to tell a lie, and you are a liar. Your posts are remarkably consistent in your inability and often refusal to tell the truth, and so you do again.

The global economy collapsed in 2008.

An airline career has never been easy come. Particularly not for you.

But then, you wouldn't know.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:01 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Airline flying is terrible for creative people. A boring job that is just busy enough to interfere with the process. At least he didn't get beat down in an "under the wing" position. You know, like maintenance!
Old 11-26-2018, 08:08 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

I find him jaded and somewhat irritating in his presentation.
He knows many would give their first born to have a job like that yet he feels he’s too good for it.
Relinquish your seat to somebody who wants to be there.