Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Advice on supplement program?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 06:33 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2018
Default Advice on supplement program?

I am looking at a few different options, just wanted some input. I just hit 51, still work out daily. Looking for I guess a combo of a testosterone boost, with strength and endurance/recovery increase to maintain my regimen. Has anyone tried bdg performance labs, the first thing that came up when I search this seems to fit just want some more input from the gurus before I buy lol. Any other options you guys subscribe to? I want something effective as well as safe of course.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015

Originally Posted by lisamark View Post
I am looking at a few different options, just wanted some input. I just hit 51, still work out daily. Looking for I guess a combo of a testosterone boost, with strength and endurance/recovery increase to maintain my regimen. Has anyone tried bdg performance labs, the first thing that came up when I search this seems to fit just want some more input from the gurus before I buy lol. Any other options you guys subscribe to? I want something effective as well as safe of course.

Be careful.

Keep in mind one thing - the body needs balance to function properly. Oftentimes, people will supplement one mineral and upset that balance. For example, guy I knew was all about taking mega doses of magnesium. Well he threw off his electrolyte balance and developed an irregular heartbeat. There are also other ingredients you need to be aware of contained in supplements. There is a popular supplement out there that recently was found to contain high levels or arsenic and lead. I think labdoor had a report on that back in 2016. There is little/no FDA regulation and oversight of supplements.

If you feel you must take something, probably stick with a high quality multi vitamin and some whey protein isolate. Eat a balanced diet, and lots of water. Exercise, sleep, yaddi yaddi. Shop the outside aisles of the grocery store. If you must supplement further probably best to consult a licensed nutritionist or functional medicine practitioner rather than rely on the "bro science" the pilot forum will offer.

Best of luck to you and be careful!
Old 12-03-2018, 09:34 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by WhisperJet View Post
Be careful.

Keep in mind one thing - the body needs balance to function properly. Oftentimes, people will supplement one mineral and upset that balance. For example, guy I knew was all about taking mega doses of magnesium. Well he threw off his electrolyte balance and developed an irregular heartbeat. There are also other ingredients you need to be aware of contained in supplements. There is a popular supplement out there that recently was found to contain high levels or arsenic and lead. I think labdoor had a report on that back in 2016. There is little/no FDA regulation and oversight of supplements.

If you feel you must take something, probably stick with a high quality multi vitamin and some whey protein isolate. Eat a balanced diet, and lots of water. Exercise, sleep, yaddi yaddi. Shop the outside aisles of the grocery store. If you must supplement further probably best to consult a licensed nutritionist or functional medicine practitioner rather than rely on the "bro science" the pilot forum will offer.

Best of luck to you and be careful!
Yes.

First figure out what you think you need.

Then identify the best sources, which will take some research. As mentioned, many supplements (unregulated) are made overseas, don't contain what they are supposed to (or not enough), and may contain some really bad things which they aren't supposed to.

There are a few brands which are pretty meticulous about their quality, those are the ones you want to find. Be aware that a given label may sell a quality product in one category but might outsource another product with underwhelming results.

Organic whey protein with no extra chemicals other than some carbs is pretty safe and keeps my energy up for strength training even after an hour of cardio (need the cardio for health as you get older).

Low dose chelated zinc works for T boost, and helps prevent colds, but does supposedly increase risk of prostate cancer.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2011
Position: faa sr. medical examiner (HIMS)

IMHO ... steer clear of supplements. For a man, check your testosterone level and go from there with a doctor.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Originally Posted by lbfowlerjrmd View Post
IMHO ... steer clear of supplements. For a man, check your testosterone level and go from there with a doctor.
I have mainly only used supplements to make up for some lifestyle deficiency, ie vitamin B due to dietary limitations while on the road, protein shakes to provide energy and fuel for a good workout (vice a cheeseburger).

I agree don't just start taking stuff because you read about on the web.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:41 PM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default What a load of malarkey

Supplements; $19 BILLION a year down the crapper.

https://www.webmd.com/men/features/v...from-fiction#1

The better supplements won't do you any harm.

Even if you just stick to essential vitamins, there is some risk. Generally anything water soluble you just p1ss out the excess. Taking excess fat soluble vitamins (A, D, E, and K,) though can indeed be dangerous.

Last edited by Excargodog; 12-05-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

You could say that the industry has built a Whopper of a lie on a grain of truth.