Search
Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Would you do it again?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 01:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2016
Default Would you do it again?

Good evening, all. I’m trying to make a decision between the job I have now vs. the airlines. I have a CJO from CommutAir which has the CPP, as you know. Currently I work for my state flying the governor making $71k, but home every night. Raises are up to legislature and out of my control, so the money is stagnant. My question is this: we have a baby boy due in February and I’d just like to hear from some of the seasoned pilots here if given the chance you’d pick the airlines all over again. Missing some birthdays, anniversaries, etc is it all worth it in the end? I’m not just speaking monetary terms, but the quality of the job, the career satisfaction. I have a pretty healthy marriage and this is our first kid together, so it’s just clouding my judgment a bit.

Thanks for the time, Cheers!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

You making decisions for how long? Six weeks? Six months? Six years? Thirty years?

For a career? Absolutely. Get hired with a major and move to a large base once you have 15% of the seniority list below you. That's about three years at the current hiring rate.

Bid reserve and you'll make 80% of the pay and work about 50-60% of a full line holder.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

Only you can answer the question, hate to say it. Yes, as a career, the smart bet is to follow sliceback’s advice. But, I’ve met plenty of very happy pilots in your position. They make a secure living, live where they want to be, maybe small town where they both grew up, want the kids to be near family and home life. It works for them. Life’s not necessarily about money.

GF
Old 12-14-2018, 04:35 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Gulfstream Driver

Originally Posted by StickPig View Post
Good evening, all. I’m trying to make a decision between the job I have now vs. the airlines. I have a CJO from CommutAir which has the CPP, as you know. Currently I work for my state flying the governor making $71k, but home every night. Raises are up to legislature and out of my control, so the money is stagnant. My question is this: we have a baby boy due in February and I’d just like to hear from some of the seasoned pilots here if given the chance you’d pick the airlines all over again. Missing some birthdays, anniversaries, etc is it all worth it in the end? I’m not just speaking monetary terms, but the quality of the job, the career satisfaction. I have a pretty healthy marriage and this is our first kid together, so it’s just clouding my judgment a bit.

Thanks for the time, Cheers!
I am at the end of my major airline career having navigated the path you are considering. I am now flying Gulfstreams around the world. I certainly would do it all over again. Yes there are some lost family times, there however is also that trip to London that ended there, where you took you family and spent the week. There is most importantly the security of career LTD and lifetime medical. It is really hard to find an aviation job better than a major. Everyone for the most part pays their dues to get to a major.

My goal when I retired was to look to the sky, see a set of contrails and never say “I wish I would have”. I have achieved that goal.

Best of luck to you!
Old 12-15-2018, 10:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2015

I know it’s a big “if” but if you feel like you can get on with a major witching a few years I would go for it. You can be senior at a junior base witching 3 years of being at a major and be home most nights any way. No doubt I would do it all over again. I’ve only been in the 121 world for about 9 years and haven’t experienced any furloughs so I can’t speak for that, but I have made peanuts at a regional and can say it’s worth it.
Old 12-16-2018, 06:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by Shemya View Post
I am at the end of my major airline career having navigated the path you are considering. I am now flying Gulfstreams around the world. I certainly would do it all over again. Yes there are some lost family times, there however is also that trip to London that ended there, where you took you family and spent the week. There is most importantly the security of career LTD and lifetime medical. It is really hard to find an aviation job better than a major. Everyone for the most part pays their dues to get to a major.

My goal when I retired was to look to the sky, see a set of contrails and never say “I wish I would have”. I have achieved that goal.

Best of luck to you!
Lifetime medical? That's not necessarily true, especially at the airlines who've gone BK or might go BK in the future.
Old 12-16-2018, 08:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)

Originally Posted by Shemya View Post

Best of luck to you!

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these,

'It might have been'.”

—John Greenleaf Whittier
Old 12-16-2018, 09:12 PM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by StickPig View Post
Would you do it again?
Still doing it.

Of course.