Notices

Class drops..

Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Originally Posted by Cubatticus View Post
What would the QOL look like with a drive from Nashville? Wouldn’t you still need to commute into Memphis or is it close enough to sit reserve from home?
You could hold R24 and stay home, at least until they call you in for hotel Stby. Which they will. But you will get a free hotel and per diem.
Old 06-21-2019, 02:09 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009
Position: 757 right seat

Originally Posted by Cubatticus View Post
What would the QOL look like with a drive from Nashville? Wouldn’t you still need to commute into Memphis or is it close enough to sit reserve from home?
Not close enough unless you can hold R-24. Normal reserve callout is 90 minutes but can be reduced to less if they give you a special parking lot code.

If you have a crash pad, driving from BNA to reserve would probably be more efficient than living farther from Memphis and flying to reserve.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:06 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by DirtyPurple View Post
Or intl on the MD.
I meant as a junior guy... My understanding is that the guys who can hold that could all hold wide body captain.
Old 06-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by pinseeker View Post
Not if you work the same number of days. If you work the same 15 days on the 757, you will make more. Then you get to pick what trips you want to fly rather than being given pot luck on reserve.

To each his own. I'm just shocked at how many new hires are chasing dollars and working 18+ days in a 4 week month. Of course I see several mid seniority captains doing the same thing. That doesn't bode well for our upcoming contract negotiations.
I won't be working... They're gonna give me Reserve. From my experience I'll go into work 2 or 3 times a month. This month I'm growing a beard on Reserve. I've flown one two day trip. Remember I said I bit the bullet and moved... I'll be playing with my daughter out by the pool and getting paid for it!
Old 06-21-2019, 05:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2012

Originally Posted by Globemaster2827 View Post
I won't be working... They're gonna give me Reserve. From my experience I'll go into work 2 or 3 times a month. This month I'm growing a beard on Reserve. I've flown one two day trip. Remember I said I bit the bullet and moved... I'll be playing with my daughter out by the pool and getting paid for it!
When I finally went out last week, I hadn’t shaved in 3 weeks. Had to go buy a clipper so it would be short enough to use the razor. 😬 but hey, if guys want to commute and be gone all the time, more power to them. Someone has to do it.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by propilot View Post
When I finally went out last week, I hadn’t shaved in 3 weeks. Had to go buy a clipper so it would be short enough to use the razor. 😬 but hey, if guys want to commute and be gone all the time, more power to them. Someone has to do it.
It's kind of what I love about the job though... There's something for everyone. If you want to stay Junior, make more money, and not work very hard moving to Memphis is the way to go... The notion that I work harder because I bid 767 FO at 100% is false. So far this is the easiest job I've ever had.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Just gonna also come out and say this... but you still would be living in MEMPHIS. No way I'd willingly live there or raise a family there, no matter how great the QOL bump would be. But, that's what's great about this job too, you can commute and it doesn't really feel like commuting. I know this because I did it at the regionals and another major pax airline, and it sucked! Not so much here.

Sure you can live in Memphis and convince yourself it's ok... or not. The choice is yours.

I'm a commuter and haven't flown in 2 weeks either... beard was YUUUUGE.
Old 06-22-2019, 09:35 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by coryk View Post
Just gonna also come out and say this... but you still would be living in MEMPHIS. No way I'd willingly live there or raise a family there, no matter how great the QOL bump would be. But, that's what's great about this job too, you can commute and it doesn't really feel like commuting. I know this because I did it at the regionals and another major pax airline, and it sucked! Not so much here.

Sure you can live in Memphis and convince yourself it's ok... or not. The choice is yours.

I'm a commuter and haven't flown in 2 weeks either... beard was YUUUUGE.
I'm glad you're happy where ever you're living and commuting. I love Memphis and there aren't many places I'd rather live. We're building a massive house in the suburbs and we pay no state income tax. The schools are great out here. The cost of living is the lowest I know of in America. There's no crime where I live. The weather is like I'm use to having lived in Texas, Mississippi and Alabama. I've lived in the South East or Texas my entire life. I love it here. I probably would have no interest in living where you live, so it works great for both of us. I wouldn't want to fly a double dead head trip out of your town that has me hub turning every night.

Again... It's what I love about my job. You're happy commuting and I'm happy here in Memphis. There's something for everyone.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019
Default 7/8/19 class

23 new hires

11- 5
30- 3
67- 7 (1 HKG)
57- 8
77- 0
Old 07-09-2019, 02:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2018

Originally Posted by Globemaster2827 View Post
I'm glad you're happy where ever you're living and commuting. I love Memphis and there aren't many places I'd rather live. We're building a massive house in the suburbs and we pay no state income tax. The schools are great out here. The cost of living is the lowest I know of in America. There's no crime where I live. The weather is like I'm use to having lived in Texas, Mississippi and Alabama. I've lived in the South East or Texas my entire life. I love it here. I probably would have no interest in living where you live, so it works great for both of us. I wouldn't want to fly a double dead head trip out of your town that has me hub turning every night.

Again... It's what I love about my job. You're happy commuting and I'm happy here in Memphis. There's something for everyone.
So what Coryk and Globemaster mean to say is you too can be a sensitive beard growing lumberjack as a commuter or in Memphis. 😜