Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
General cost to get CFI and CFII >

General cost to get CFI and CFII

Search
Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

General cost to get CFI and CFII

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Family guy
Default General cost to get CFI and CFII

Hello all,

Just about to wrap up my Commercial pilot license with just over 260 hours in the logbook. I had kind of ruled out CFI and II, but wondering what i might anticipate in general costs to get each of those. Lets assume i am an awesome pilot and won't need extra help or extra training.

I have little knowledge of the steps and expense so any informative answers are appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:42 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2015

I just did my CFI ride. The examiner came with an $800 charge. Factor in the cost to rent the airplane and just one checkride was over $1,000.

You’ll need to take FOI/CFIA and CFII writtens. Each of them are around $150 depending on where you go.

I haven’t done CFII ride yet so I don’t know how much that will cost.

All in all.... with ground school, books, exam fees and at least 10 hours of dual right seat time I’d say about $5,000 for an awesome pilot who is already ready to pass and just needs to check boxes.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:57 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2014
Position: Paper Airplane PIC

My CFI was 141 so it was something like 25 flight hours and 30 ground. I don't remember the exact number. Did CFII part 61. I think I did 2 1 hours sessions in the sim and a 1.3 in the plane with about 3 hours ground.

CFI check ride was with the FSDO, so about $300 in rental cost, and CFII was about 700 for plane and DPE.

Take it for what it's worth. I'm sure you know by now. Everyone learns differently and the cost of planes/DPE vary from city to city
Old 01-22-2019, 02:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: Left

Age, plans, degree? Some of the larger flight schools will train into your CFI mostly ‘free’, then you owe them some time.

Most going toward the airline track need time anyway, I’m not one to be afraid of a reasonable commitment. Of course the devil may be in the details. The ‘II’ add on has always been much easier than the initial CFI.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017
Position: Family guy

I am mid 40s and taking the leap of faith to go career airline pilot. Not super interested in CFI route, but have not written it off. Yes, have 4 year degree, clean record and no check ride busts. Looking to get commercial, get some multi engine time and find a pipeline patrol, sight seeing or aerial survey type gig. Again, if those don't pan out, then i could move on and get CFI and CFII, but that is plan B.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:19 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: Left

You have time, I’d be looking for the ‘fast track’ as funds allow. If not CFI one of the airborne surveying companies may be an option for the 1500 hour target.

I had a friend years ago that got out of flying when times were slow, early 90’s. I stayed in with a lower tier job, racking up hours. After about 7 years of chit jobs he said, ‘man I screwed up’. He got back in and is doing fine now.

The point being, pilots like to do piloting.